Worth importing (from US to UK)?

#1Retro ManPosted 1/5/2012 4:08:49 PM
From websites that import hardware, it's around 169, while in the UK it will be 229. That's a considerable difference, enough for at least one game to go with it. There's no region locking with the games either, but wondering if there's anything I've not thought of... will it be ok setting the Vita to UK for the store, or will it be locked to the US store?
---
Playing: Zelda (3DS), Skyrim (PC)
Reading: Snuff - Terry Pratchett
#2ouijaouijaPosted 1/5/2012 4:11:47 PM
you might get import/customs charges, some 25-30% of value. add delivery, no warranty support
---
5327-1232-8034
#3Riyo_chanPosted 1/5/2012 4:12:35 PM
After shipping and Import VAT it won't be such a big difference in price

Plus as the other poster said, you won't be able to easily return it if there's a fault
---
The life of a samurai is like the cherry blossom, beautiful but brief
Official Brakidios of MH3G Board
#4Retro Man(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 4:14:48 PM(edited)
ouijaouija posted...
you might get import/customs charges, some 25-30% of value. add delivery, no warranty support

The charges are a bit a bug-bear, true... not sure about warranty though, I've noticed a few companies are more lenient on their warranty support... Amazon (Kindle) and Apple both were great with the fact we bought our goods in the US.

I was considering VGPlus, as they are pretty ok with sending stuff over, and then take the risk on import charges.
---
#5HiroakiBladePosted 1/5/2012 4:18:42 PM
Retro Man posted...
ouijaouija posted...

The charges are a bit a bug-bear, true... not sure about warranty though, I've noticed a few companies are more lenient on their warranty support... Amazon (Kindle) and Apple both were great with the fact we bought our goods in the US.

I was considering VGPlus, as they are pretty ok with sending stuff over, and then take the risk on import charges.

I just don't think it's worth it tbh mate, I really don't think you'll save enough in the end to make it worthwhile plus you don't know for sure if there will be any issues between the different countries consoles and full access to psn.
---
Asus Rampage III, i7 980x, Corsair Dominator 2000mhz, Sli GTX 480
Gamertag: MrDJ08 PSN: xTheDJx
#6Retro Man(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 4:21:40 PM
Vita Wifi bundle with 4gb card and Uncharted is around 206.
Shipping is 56.

Blah. At least Gamestop UK has the Wifi to pre-order for 209.

Also I am heading to HK in June... it's a while to wait, but I wonder if I'd be able to get one there a bit cheaper (or a knock off that plays 'soccer' on it ala Dr Ashen)
---
#7Riyo_chanPosted 1/5/2012 4:24:40 PM
What shipping method were you using?

If it's the fast one (1-3 days or thereabouts) you WILL get import VAT, that'll add about another 50-80 to your total (It'll be a 40 clearance charge plus VAT of 20% or something)

Getting one in HK would almost certainly be cheaper if you're there anyway, but it's up to you if you want to wait
---
The life of a samurai is like the cherry blossom, beautiful but brief
Official Brakidios of MH3G Board
#8Retro Man(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 4:29:34 PM
Urgh, a rogue PS2 snuck into the basket.

28.16 postage.
---