A few questions on remote play

#1mcsmellingtonPosted 1/10/2012 8:44:45 AM
Hello! I'm thinking about getting a PSVita when it finally comes out here in the UK, and had a few questions on remote play. I bought a PS3 after Xmas and me and my girlfriend enjoy it very much; she in particular has become a bit addicted to DC Universe Online.

If she was on her account on the PS3 playing DCU, would I be able to use remote play on the Vita to play my games from my account at the same time? And could we both play the same game at the same time?
---
GT: McPoo
#2EoinPosted 1/10/2012 8:55:12 AM
Firstly, right now Remote Play only works with a tiny fraction of PS3 games. DCUO...I am unsure of but I would be extremely surprised if it supported Remote Play. This is probably going to changed in an update, but as far as I'm aware there's no official confirmation of this.

Secondly, the PS3 barely has enough power to use Remote Play as it is. It definitely doesn't have enough power to play two games at once. It currently can't even display anything other than a "Remote Play is in progress" message on the TV it's connected to while someone is connected using Remote Play.
#3mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2012 8:56:54 AM
Ah right, cheers. I really don't know much about this sort of thing; didn't realise it used so much power.

I figured it wouldn't support DCU right now, I was hoping maybe in the future though!
---
#4_Shikoba_Posted 1/10/2012 8:59:11 AM
mcsmellington posted...
Ah right, cheers. I really don't know much about this sort of thing; didn't realise it used so much power.

I figured it wouldn't support DCU right now, I was hoping maybe in the future though!

Possibly, I think the only supported game as of right now is Killzone 3.
---
Winners don't eat meat. - William S. Broccoli
#5EoinPosted 1/10/2012 9:04:11 AM(edited)

Possibly, I think the only supported game as of right now is Killzone 3.

Killzone 3 was used as a demo of Remote Play on the Vita- but doesn't support it right now. It's one of the major reasons why people believe that there's going to be an update to allow PS3 games in general to be Remote Play compatible....but as of now it just gives the standard "Remote Play cannot be used" error message (paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact message).

There are some PS3 games that do support Remote Play (on both Vita and PSP) - Wikipedia has a list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play#Games_and_Software_compatible_with_Remote_Play
#6mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 2:57:10 AM
One more thing actually; is there a range on how close you need to be to use remote play? Do I have to be in the house to use it, or can I be visiting a friend and remotely turn on the PS3, play a game and then turn it off?

Thanks!
---
#7EoinPosted 1/11/2012 4:23:45 AM
There's two ways Remote Play can work.

It can connect directly to the PS3 via an ad-hoc wireless connection. This is fairly fast and offers relatively good quality (even on the PSP's utterly pathetic 802.11b-only wireless card, so it should be even better on Vita). It's limited by wireless range - and the PS3's wireless card isn't so good, so that probably is not going to be a very big range. It should cover your home and maybe a bit around it.

You can also connect to a PS3 using Remote Play over the Internet. This might end up being slower (again, should be better on Vita than on PSP, although it's very dependent on connection). There's no range for this - it's purely Internet-based so it's wherever you can get an Internet connection.

Finally, a quick note about playing games: on PSP at least, no matter what kind of connection you used, there was enough lag to negatively affect gameplay for anything except turn-based games. Again, there should be some kind of improvement on Vita, but until you test it, it'd be better not to set your expectations too high. Like, don't expect to be playing fighting games and doing ridiculous combos over Remote Play, because that's probably not happening.
#8BoosenPosted 1/11/2012 4:45:15 AM
Dood, and everyone. Once you go on to remote play, you can only use the Vita as a screen, it doesn't broadcast it to the TV. So it's either you use the TV as a screen or a Vita. You can't use both. And the controls can only be used on the Vita.
---
3DS FC - 1461 - 6256 - 5395
Psn - Brysen
#9mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 5:05:03 AM
Eoin posted...
There's two ways Remote Play can work.

It can connect directly to the PS3 via an ad-hoc wireless connection. This is fairly fast and offers relatively good quality (even on the PSP's utterly pathetic 802.11b-only wireless card, so it should be even better on Vita). It's limited by wireless range - and the PS3's wireless card isn't so good, so that probably is not going to be a very big range. It should cover your home and maybe a bit around it.

You can also connect to a PS3 using Remote Play over the Internet. This might end up being slower (again, should be better on Vita than on PSP, although it's very dependent on connection). There's no range for this - it's purely Internet-based so it's wherever you can get an Internet connection.

Finally, a quick note about playing games: on PSP at least, no matter what kind of connection you used, there was enough lag to negatively affect gameplay for anything except turn-based games. Again, there should be some kind of improvement on Vita, but until you test it, it'd be better not to set your expectations too high. Like, don't expect to be playing fighting games and doing ridiculous combos over Remote Play, because that's probably not happening.

Ah right, thanks so much for your help. I was just curious if I'd be able to play my games using remote play via the internet really, which as you said is possible, but connection dependant. I won't get my hopes up, but it does seem like quite a cool extra feature :)

Cheers!
---