Why I will be going digital (with a 32GB card)

#1mastariflaPosted 2/19/2012 4:53:52 PM
First of all the device itself is quite amazing. I already have 7 PSP titles and Uncharted loaded onto it and still have over 24 gigs of space remaining. Here are a few reasons why I'm thinking digital is the way to go with this thing.

Positives

1) You essentially get 2 copies of the game instead of 1. That's right, if you have a family member with a Vita or a friend, just download the game on their Vita and you both can play it!

2) You can back up and store your copies of the game on your PC or PS3 for essentially a larger space to hold your games.

3) You cant lose your copies of the game (unless you lose your SEN password), if you lose the physical copy that's it, cant play it.

4) If the system itself becomes jailbroken you already have a reasonably sized card to store games/roms/homebrew.

5) The discounts given in the PSN store on games will help subsidize the price you are paying for the larger GB card.

6) If there ever is another PS handheld and it has Vita backwards compatibility you wont have to worry about if they included a Vita card slot, you can just redownload the game onto the new handheld from the store or transfer it from your HDD.

7) Gamestop has digital downloads that you can buy for the same price as retail if it goes on sale or if its a permanent price reduction.

8) No switching out carts or having to worry about carts.

Drawbacks

1) No physical media, you don't own it.

2) Downloading takes a long time, regardless if you download it straight from your Vita or downloading via the PS3. It takes quite a while to transfer it as well.

3) You cant sell it back.

4) You cant grab the game at 12:01 AM

5) Bandwidth Caps, if you have one then obviously this would be a major hindrance.

With all this said, Digital seems to be the "wave of the future," However, it will take some time before it gets adopted by most people, the size of the games will continue to increase and yet we are starting to see bandwidth caps, so its a hurdle that will be difficult to pass.

Anyways thats just my thoughts, lemme know what you think.
#2VampiricDragon_Posted 2/19/2012 4:56:29 PM
digital isnt the wave of the future. Its the option of the future

And I will be going all physical.
---
Games to Watch: Legasista PS3,SRW OG 3,Toki to Towa PS3, Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Infinite Souls, Paper Mario,Nayuta no Kiseki PSP
#3cmdrdreddPosted 2/19/2012 4:59:27 PM
I like having the physical media. That way I can sell it when I'm done with it. I'm not 100% against digital, but I think there are some drawbacks for the future that people will be mighty PO'd about if they occur.

For example: what if you buy a game and have a registration code that is sent out to the server every time you load it up. The server is down or disappears eventually...no play.
---
"Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgment, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf
#4mastariflaPosted 2/19/2012 5:09:59 PM
cmdrdredd posted...
I like having the physical media. That way I can sell it when I'm done with it. I'm not 100% against digital, but I think there are some drawbacks for the future that people will be mighty PO'd about if they occur.

For example: what if you buy a game and have a registration code that is sent out to the server every time you load it up. The server is down or disappears eventually...no play.
---
"Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgment, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf

Why would you sell your game? Why not just rent it if you don't think you are going to play it again, it would save you a lot more money...
#5cmdrdreddPosted 2/19/2012 5:12:16 PM
Uh...because sometimes I play a game a lot but you know eventually I do put it down and play something else and just never go back.

Renting is garbage anyway...gamefly never has the latest releases and you get games way late. Blockbuster is all but extinct and the selection sucks at the very few stores left around me.
---
#6mastariflaPosted 2/19/2012 5:15:12 PM
cmdrdredd posted...
Uh...because sometimes I play a game a lot but you know eventually I do put it down and play something else and just never go back.

Renting is garbage anyway...gamefly never has the latest releases and you get games way late. Blockbuster is all but extinct and the selection sucks at the very few stores left around me.
---

Check out places like Redbox (yes they have games too), they have new releases every tuesday and they are pretty much everywhere now.
#7pikachupwnagePosted 2/19/2012 5:19:37 PM
I will be mostly physical though if a game is out of print or Is sold out or has a big enough discount on the PSN then I will get it digital
---
Its like a disco ball in front of my face! -Chris redfield
Official Special ops beserker general of the NDF and a member of the ELN
#8keabrown79Posted 2/19/2012 5:36:31 PM

Wait have 2 vitas and can share the same game? huh?

#9mastariflaPosted 2/19/2012 5:39:06 PM
keabrown79 posted...

Wait have 2 vitas and can share the same game? huh?

If you have the same SEN account on both Vitas you can download the game onto two devices (2 Vitas), so yea.
#10SomnusNemorisPosted 2/19/2012 5:42:17 PM

digital isnt the wave of the future. Its the option of the future

And I will be going all physical.

This.