best turn based psp rpgs.

#1jamamawwPosted 3/19/2012 12:56:39 PM
looking for a turn based rpg. never had a psp, can anyone recommend a good one thats on the vita store?
---
If you believe in Satan as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#2psycho_slicerPosted 3/19/2012 12:58:10 PM
Legend of heroes, ff iv and lunar are all very good? Legend of heroes being my favorite
#3JustPlainEvilPosted 3/19/2012 1:06:47 PM
tactics ogre LUCT, hexyz force, Minamiyar(?) Chronicles.

I can go on..
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan.
#4jamamaww(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 2:51:09 PM
are these you can buy on the vita store?
---
If you believe in Satan as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#5JustPlainEvilPosted 3/19/2012 3:03:02 PM
Yes they all are except Hexyz. But they might put it on the store eventually.

You could try Disgaea 2, or even 3 which releases next month.

You can literally spend over 100 hours in each game, and you won't even be close to finished.
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan.
#6Seferia7Posted 3/19/2012 3:05:39 PM(edited)
If you've played through FFIV on the SNES, PSX, GBA or DS it would best be overlooked for fresh jRPG's on the PSP. If you're a fan of turn based RPG's be it from ATB or what have you, I would have to recommend Trails in the Sky or Hexyz Force. If you like a bit of simulation and running around as the days go by in your games along with the turn based combat Persona 3 Portable and Mana Khemia: Student Alliance were also titles that I found to be rather enjoyable.

Now on the other end of the spectrum is our turn based strategy RPG's. Grid based combat, little exploration outside of a world map. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together are excellent choices for this genre. If you've played and enjoyed one, I highly recommend the other as they share many similarities. Jeanne D'Arc is also a title I've found was rather overlooked that falls into this genre. Valkyria Chronicles II while lackluster in story compared to its predecessor, was still a blast to play through for the multiplayer alone. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness and Disgaea 2 also fall under the SRPG category. While a bit grindy for my tastes, the plot of the first two games was enough to keep me going.
---
"Those who dare, win."
#7jamamaww(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 3:05:15 PM
Ibeen hearing good things about trails, i haven't made up my mind yet, so if other people want to weigh in, i'd appreciate it.
---
#8OMGSuperSonicPosted 3/19/2012 3:05:23 PM
Hey TC, let me make a suggestion for you. On PSN, make sure to check out Legend of Heros: Trails in the Sky. This is, hands down, one of the BEST RPGs I've ever played. It feels like something right out of the PS1's glory days (though admittedly with more refined visuals.)

The game's story is great. it's beautifully written, and lacks a lot of those annoying shortcuts writers like too much, such as amnesia. The writers have a lot of respect for you as a player as well, and don't repeatedly try and beat a concept into your head. I could give specific examples all day, but not without spoilers. When it comes to mastering the mechanics of the game, they allow you to learn that on your own like a lot of the better RPGs out there.

The battle system and character customization is where Trails really shines. It's a turn based RPG, with a turn indicator listed on the left side of the screen, similar to FFX's turn indicator. The cool thing is, turns regularly have bonuses applied to them, such as during one round, whoever's going will be guaranteed a critical hit, or restore 10% of their HP, or each hit they do in a combo generates a bonus. Clever use of spells that have a delayed casting time or limit breaks (you build those up like you would in FF7) that let you steal turns will keep you on top. For example, the enemy that goes right after Estelle is on a critical hit turn. If you cast a spell that has a 1 turn delay, she'll fire it that next turn, not only blocking the enemy from getting a critical, but scoring a critical hit herself with that attack.

Spells and skills also have effective ranges. Remember how awesome Chrono Trigger was, where you could attack everyone in a circle, or a straight like from the caster? That's totally going on here, and it's awesome. Most spells or techs have some form of range or special effect. They way you customize it all is great too. It reminds me of FF6 in this respect; each character has their own, unique skills that are character specific, but then there's a large assortment of spells that's completely customizable.

The way that customization works is very reminiscent of FF7. Your orbment systems lets you install orbs on your characters that augment their stats, attacks, or give other bonuses, such altering attack range for spells, or keeping enemies from noticing you on the map, which means sneaking up for preemptive strikes is a breeze. Each orb you equip adds to your elemental value, which determines what magic is open to you. It's a lot of fun, and gets really deep as your progress.

Looking back at what I've written, there's a lot of classics I brought up to compare elements of Trails to. I think that's what makes it so great; there's bits of so many awesome games and ideas here, but the title itself feels so fresh and new.

Bottom lining it, Trails is a legendary game that you NEED to play. You'd really be missing out if you pass this gem up.
---
Best Game of all time: Earthbound
#9jamamaww(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 3:11:53 PM
Guess i am getting trails, what a way to persuade me!
---
#10OMGSuperSonicPosted 3/19/2012 3:50:08 PM
Good call, I'm positive you won't regret it!
---
Best Game of all time: Earthbound