*** PlayStation Vita FAQ: How to get NEAR to work (REQUEST STICKY) ***

#41hajile12Posted 9/28/2012 8:35:50 PM
Sevi_ney posted...
lol whatever. vita is going to have games and will probably last almost as long as current gen consoles. haters gonna hate

lol.
---
Somtimes i go to dog parks even though i dont have a dog. I bring a leash though and i wear a very shifty look. =I
#42AndaryuPosted 10/17/2012 5:37:08 AM
Good info and I'm glad this helped people, but I just can't even be bothered to get my Near to work. It doesn't seem very useful to me.
---
We have no choice but to let go of the past to move forward...
#43JayGlaze379Posted 10/22/2012 10:17:56 AM
I think it's a great idea to post mac addresses and personal information to a website that no one has ever heard of. I mean Sony is aces at keeping personal data secure, this should be a no brainer right?
#44GalladetheGreatPosted 10/23/2012 5:39:24 PM
Sevi_ney posted...
lol whatever. vita is going to have games and will probably last almost as long as current gen consoles. haters gonna hate

they see me playin', they hatin'
---
http://i.imgur.com/dNXZN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zr7iv.jpg
#45Unit1d6Posted 11/9/2012 7:31:44 PM
I cant get in to www.skyhookwireless.com
#46Hitoshura_Posted 11/16/2012 12:32:06 AM
It's been over a month since I entered my thing, and it still doesn't work....
---
*is officially Hitoshura*
#47arth1Posted 11/18/2012 4:36:49 PM
The instructions at the head of the thread ONLY work if you have the only access point within detection range. Far too often, that is not the case.

If a neighbor has moved from somewhere else that was scanned by Skyhook, and taken his access point with him, the Vita will pick it up when it does its WiFi sweep, and sometimes you will get the wrong address even if YOUR access point is correctly registered.

To make matters worse, if there are other access points in the vicinity, and none of them were registered with Skyhook before your neighbor moved in, they will be contaminated with that remote address - all of them will be auto-registered to a location near the already registered or scanned access point.
Because there are more of access points in the vicinity that are registered to the wrong address than your one registered one, you'll quite often get the wrong address. So don't be surprised if Near tells you you have been travelling hundreds of miles when you've been sitting still in your living room.

Of course, it does not have to be a neighbor - if your old address shows up, it could be yourself causing the issue, if you after moving did not immediately (as the very same day) register the new address with skyhook. A day is enough time to "contaminate" all nearby unscanned/unregistered access points with your old address.

The only "fix" is to use something like inSSIDer to get the MAC of all nearby access points, then walk door-to-door to find out who owns which and lives where, and (re)register them ALL. Skip one, and the problem may return due to the contamination issue.
#48LitCandlezPosted 11/24/2012 3:12:33 PM
j_saucedo posted...
Request Sticky!

---
GAMEFAQS- Where posting a different opinion is trolling, and moderators are always right! We all love this website!
#49GenocideHeartPosted 11/29/2012 7:50:06 AM
Worked like a charm, and there's a good 10 people with a Vita near me. Doesn't look much until you realize I live in the rear end of nowhere. XD Nice!
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#50broncosfan1719Posted 12/7/2012 5:54:46 PM
it for me within 10 minutes
---
EVERYONE PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR TYPING ERRORS I'M A NEWBIE AND I WILL GET BETTER REMEMBER PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT