Sony CEO says Vita gaming sales near expectations

#1S1nharvestPosted 8/30/2012 9:16:10 AM
BERLIN (Reuters) - Sony Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai said on Thursday that its new gaming device Vita was mostly selling in line with its expectations, though in some places it was off the pace.

Vita hit the stores earlier this year, the latest in a line of mobile gaming gadgets in the spirit of Nintendo's (7974.OS) Game Boy and Atari's Lynx, but some analysts have questioned whether there is room for such a device in a market increasingly dominated by games played on smartphones and tablets.

"Worldwide, the Vita is pretty much along where we would expect it to be, maybe trending behind in certain territories," Hirai told Reuters on the sidelines of IFA, Europe's biggest consumer trade show, held in Berlin.

He declined to disclose where sales were lagging.

http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINDEE87T07B20120830?irpc=932

Why make expectations so low?
---
All Hail King Ghidorah, the Monster Zero
GT: KingxGeedorah
#2nariusseldonPosted 8/30/2012 9:16:56 AM
Yeah either it is spin, or Sony expects a huge flop.
#3TacticalSniper7Posted 8/30/2012 9:18:39 AM
i would love to make a product and sell 2.2 millions unit of that product!

in my opinion, as long as a product, system, cellphone, tablet sells more than 1 million units i consider it as a success.

the vita it's going to get more games and sell more so just wait and see :)
---
Vita psn: EPB_Melegor (uncharted, resistance,mortal kombat, gravity rush)
GT: EPB Melegor (mw3, Minecraft, GRAFS)
#4n0matterPosted 8/30/2012 9:19:58 AM
in my opinion, as long as a product, system, cellphone, tablet sells more than 1 million units i consider it as a success.

What if production costs are more than the income generated from the sales? If I go sell a million five dollar bills for one dollar each, that's a success to you? Clearly, you know what you're talking about.
#5EnclavePosted 8/30/2012 9:20:17 AM
While it's almost certainly spin it's I suppose POSSIBLE that they didn't expect the Vita to really take off initially. It's remotely possible that they expected slow initial sales and then it to pick up later.

Of course, I'm talking insanely remote chances. I don't see why a company would release the device when they did if they expected such low sales initially. You'd think they'd hold off until the market was hungry for their device and they'd locked down more developer support.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#6S1nharvest(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2012 9:21:10 AM
TacticalSniper7 posted...

No, you don't get it, this is full on BS, they are currently on track to not even make half of their projected sales for the year. Then they use detracting words like "Certain territories" When they are getting destroyed in the Big 3.
---
#7DemonDog666Posted 8/30/2012 9:21:24 AM
S1nharvest posted...
BERLIN (Reuters) - Sony Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai said on Thursday that its new gaming device Vita was mostly selling in line with its expectations, though in some places it was off the pace.

Vita hit the stores earlier this year, the latest in a line of mobile gaming gadgets in the spirit of Nintendo's (7974.OS) Game Boy and Atari's Lynx, but some analysts have questioned whether there is room for such a device in a market increasingly dominated by games played on smartphones and tablets.

"Worldwide, the Vita is pretty much along where we would expect it to be, maybe trending behind in certain territories," Hirai told Reuters on the sidelines of IFA, Europe's biggest consumer trade show, held in Berlin.

Because they announced a bundle for months later that they know people are going to hold off on the system for and it's summer.
#8CaliaztecPosted 8/30/2012 9:24:19 AM
S1nharvest posted...

I've said this since the start of release. And it echos every interview I read from him. They do not have low expectations for it. I just don't believe they ever expected it to take off, or be #1 in the handheld market. No matter what people may have been screaming that Vita will be the death of Nintendo, it obviously was never the case.

I believe wholeheartedly that they released this just wanting to make an install base. That it was released a little sooner then it could have been. But it was to get it out into the market. People wanted the handheld, and their are quite a bit of us happy owners. 2.2 million is nothing to slouch at, and can obviously only get larger.

The bigger picture is that the Vita is not alone. It is part of the Playstation family with the PS3 and PSP. Both of those are making up for where the Vita may not be. And while people want to speculate and come up with their own ideas of how badly the Vita is doing. Unless it is losing Sony money, then they have nowhere to go but up with it. And I think that is their plan.

This thing has roots for years to come, just gotta wait for it to bloom. But some of us feel like it is just fine with what it has. More games will always be wanted but a lot of us are happy with what we have in the handheld and software.
---
"Yah, I was right again like I always did, but that's not the point." -XFactor on Sony "Removing" memory card from bundle.
PSN: Caliaztec
#9S1nharvest(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2012 9:24:36 AM
DemonDog666 posted...
S1nharvest posted...

Because they announced a bundle for months later that they know people are going to hold off on the system for and it's summer.

"Yea lets purposely hurt our sales for 3 months for a minimal increase, that's good business! It's not like other systems are releasing their big hits too which could take away from our sales"
---
#10nariusseldonPosted 8/30/2012 9:25:25 AM
TacticalSniper7 posted...

Not if the predecessor sold more than double. Not when AAA software needs to sell hundred of thousand of copies to break even.

And it is laughable to think if the ipad sells more than 1M, it is a success. The ipad will be viewed as a HUGE FLOP if it sold 2.2M, in the same time frame.