The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

converting video issues

#1Sketch722002Posted 10/5/2012 10:14:48 AM
I used Handbrake to convert a video over for my Vita, but the audio is faster than the video, I used these settings
set the resolution to 960x544
lock the aspect ratio
set video to output mp4
set to h.264 codec
set video quality to use bit rate, not constant quality. Set it to 2500 and enable 2 pass

anyone know what might have went wrong?
---
PSN/XBL - Ragdoll72
#2DarkPhoenix852Posted 10/5/2012 10:22:51 AM
I'm starting to think it's the resolution. I had converted kill bill in 960 x 544 and it didn't play. I re-converted it to 1280 x 720 (720p) and it played perfectly.
---
My Psn: Dark_Phoenix852
Want Vita Wallpapers? Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/samusguns
#3PlaysaverPosted 10/5/2012 11:44:29 AM
Your better off using 720x 480 and going with 1500-1700 bit rate with 2 pass (you can probibly go with even a lower bit rate with handbrake and 2 pass.). Higher screen resolution is nice if your playing on a ps3 and the original was a higher screen resoultion. While I do make videos that are at 1280x720 with a bit rate of 6000, I make them for my ps3 from videos that are originaly 1080 size. While these can play on a vita they can be a problem at a 6k bit rate.
So to save lots of space on a vita memory card just use the lower resolution and bit rate. They will look just as good on a vita.
#4DarkPhoenix852Posted 10/5/2012 11:58:31 AM
^ It's true, 720 x 480 videos look good on the vita, but after I started watching HD videos, I can't go back really o_o lol
---
My Psn: Dark_Phoenix852
Want Vita Wallpapers? Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/samusguns
#5Sketch722002(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 2:29:02 PM
So the resolution is casuing the audio track to go faster than the video?
---
PSN/XBL - Ragdoll72
#6enkeixpress_Posted 10/5/2012 2:47:06 PM(edited)
Use Freemake video converter. It's free & it's the easiest way to convert videos for PS Vita or any media device, for that matter. :)
---
*holds arms out* I have spoken.
#7ORANGE666Posted 10/5/2012 4:27:06 PM
Resolution does not make the audio go faster and why tell him to use 720p when the Vita can only display 544p? Sure the Vita can run it, but it will require more processing power and kill the battery life faster

There are 3 reasons why the Audio is going faster.

1. The audio in the original video before the video
2. The converter made an error, happens a lot with MKV to any format because MKV keeps audio and video in seperate containers while other formats keep them in one
3. You set the audio is start X seconds before the video in the conversion

If the audio starts faster than the video in more than 2 conversions, it's the original video that's the problem. Try converting a different video and see if there's a problem
#8Sketch722002(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 7:28:03 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
Resolution does not make the audio go faster and why tell him to use 720p when the Vita can only display 544p? Sure the Vita can run it, but it will require more processing power and kill the battery life faster

2. The converter made an error, happens a lot with MKV to any format because MKV keeps audio and video in seperate containers while other formats keep them in one

If the audio starts faster than the video in more than 2 conversions, it's the original video that's the problem. Try converting a different video and see if there's a problem

actually it can do 720, the PS Vita userguide I believe said so when I reference it.
---
PSN/XBL - Ragdoll72
#9PlaysaverPosted 10/5/2012 7:54:58 PM(edited)
ORANGE666 posted...

Well maybe one person said they had done it at 720p. That's not going to look better on a vita that isn't going to display it at 720p. A 480p video will look just as good on a vita at a lower bit rate. It looks great on a vita.
Handbreak is currently beta or something so it's free to use. I recomend it cause its got to look the best of everything i've tried when using a low bitrate and 2 pass converstion.
If you want to rip a disc then MakeMkv does a great job. (also beta or something and free to use at this time.)
#10Sketch722002(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 6:59:02 AM
well I got it to convert with Freemake, and it was 960X544 the right codecs and the audio worked great. It was an MP4 file, so everything looked good. When i tried to transfer it to Vita, it said it is not a supported file. Anyone know?
---
PSN/XBL - Ragdoll72