The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

I thought the Vita would do so much better (not trolling).

#1lucascgPosted 10/6/2012 8:21:56 AM
One of the main problems with gaming today, in my opinion, is how little risks developers take due to high development costs. Mostly every game has to be a sure bet to be made and published, which leads to a lot of derivative experiences. So, when the Vita was announced, I thought it would be a device where developers would take a lot of risks and create a lot of new IPs for, given the handheld tech specs. It's sad to see the lack of third party support. I know it's been getting better lately, but it's still not everything it could be.
---
F this sig! F... for FABULOUS!
Steam - Luke CG | PSN - LucasCostantini
#2carsaucePosted 10/6/2012 8:22:46 AM
Here we go again...
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#3lucascg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 8:24:19 AM
Here we go where? I don't visit this board. As I said, I'm not trolling or anything.
---
#4GloryChaosPosted 10/6/2012 8:33:00 AM
Mostly every game has to be a sure bet to be made and published, which leads to a lot of derivative experiences.

This is a big problem. Whenever somebody tries to innovate or come up with a new idea, the first thing people shout is, "GIMMICKS! BLARGH!"

Developers aren't even free to change up their own series most of the time, because people will cry bloody tears if you experiment with major elements. As much as people whine about rehashes, REHASHES ARE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL GAMES IN THE INDUSTRY.

I like this topic. Better than people going, "I love my Vita and its games! Sucks to you if you don't!"
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#5lucascg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 8:37:44 AM
GloryChaos posted...
This is a big problem. Whenever somebody tries to innovate or come up with a new idea, the first thing people shout is, "GIMMICKS! BLARGH!"

Exactly. It's sad to see that the games who sell the most each year is CoD, with so little changes to the formula. It's also kinda sad that two of the most hyped games for the Vita are Persona 4 and FF X. Nothing wrong with those games, I love them both, but c'mon, where are the new and innovative games?
---
#6FayeLadyPosted 10/6/2012 8:38:22 AM
If new and orignal game are what you are looking for, the Vita probably isnt the place to find them. The barrier of entry is way to high on the consumer and developer side at the moment. If you have a new idea and very little support its a lot easier to push something out on itunes or steam than it is to buy a Vita devkit and churn out royalties to Sony.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#7carsaucePosted 10/6/2012 8:42:16 AM
FayeLady posted...
If new and orignal game are what you are looking for, the Vita probably isnt the place to find them. The barrier of entry is way to high on the consumer and developer side at the moment. If you have a new idea and very little support its a lot easier to push something out on itunes or steam than it is to buy a Vita devkit and churn out royalties to Sony.

Gravity Rush
original game
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#8DiligentTreePosted 10/6/2012 8:45:28 AM
For more experimental and niche games developers seem to be sticking with the DS and 3DS considering the two screens and their library history. The PSP and now the Vita usually try to go for a more console-like experience, which to me can limit the amount of genre innovation.

That's just the way I see it. The DS and PSP both have amazing libraries, but there's a clear difference between the two, and I think it'll continue on through this generation.
---
This user is not offered for sale under any circumstances. No exceptions.
#9lucascg(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2012 8:47:57 AM
DiligentTree posted...
For more experimental and niche games developers seem to be sticking with the DS and 3DS considering the two screens and their library history. The PSP and now the Vita usually try to go for a more console-like experience, which to me can limit the amount of genre innovation.

That's just the way I see it. The DS and PSP both have amazing libraries, but there's a clear difference between the two, and I think it'll continue on through this generation.

The DS and 3DS have the two screens going for them, that's true. But the Vita has the rear touch panel, which I thought it would be implemented more.
---
#10FayeLadyPosted 10/6/2012 8:49:48 AM
carsauce posted...
FayeLady posted...

Gravity Rush
original game

Gravity Rush is a pretty original game. Although its not my cup of tea, I wouldn't look down on them for trying. Unfortunately, that is certainly the exception to the rule. Being a Sony first party game probably means a lot of hurdles were cleared for them that can stand in the way of third party games from indie or major publishers.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.