Sony Suing Jerry Lambert (Kevin Butler)

#41KotickIsKingPosted 10/6/2012 6:02:30 PM
If this lawsuit follows through, it will be more profitable than the VitaŽ.
---
CPU: Intel Core i17 32 cores @ 7.50 EHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 39980 GTX SSD: OCZ Agili7y 256ZB
Ram: 4096 EB @ 9001 EHz PSU: 1,000,000 W
#42maiden1993Posted 10/6/2012 6:09:48 PM
In other news, Sony representatives have killed a man dressed as Crash Bandicoot in front of a group of children.
#43TheLightsAreOnPosted 10/6/2012 6:12:12 PM
Rotuhiiri posted...
TheLightsAreOn posted...
Rotuhiiri posted...
TheLightsAreOn posted...
He is in a Tire commercial, and is not seen playing the Wii.
This should not violate a non-compete contract.

He is clearly excited about the Wii and yes, he is promoting it. The Wii might not be the main product but he is advertising it as exciting with his expressions. No one can deny that.

I always thought he looked like he wanted to be a million miles away during the version of the commercial I saw...

Look again:
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184686

That did not look like the version I had seen.
He is still not playing, though he is a lot more animated in this one.
#44SUPER3METROIDXPosted 10/6/2012 6:14:39 PM
If anyone actually tries to look at the lawsuit, it has nothing to do with a breach of contract. It is a trademark dispute, A.K.A. Sony owns Kevin Butler. The Specific part of the law I believe they're referring to is the Lanham Act, or this part of it.

"in commercial advertising or promotion, misrepresents the nature, characteristics, qualities, or geographic origin of his or her or another person's goods, services, or commercial activities, shall be liable in a civil action by any person who believes that he or she is or is likely to be damaged by such act."

Even though he isn't on a contract, Jerry Lamberts likeness is known as the "Sony guy" and he in turn will be associated with Sony. Sony is suing because they believe this will damage them.
#45GigaVoltsPosted 10/6/2012 6:18:10 PM
SUPER3METROIDX posted...
If anyone actually tries to look at the lawsuit, it has nothing to do with a breach of contract. It is a trademark dispute, A.K.A. Sony owns Kevin Butler. The Specific part of the law I believe they're referring to is the Lanham Act, or this part of it.

"in commercial advertising or promotion, misrepresents the nature, characteristics, qualities, or geographic origin of his or her or another person's goods, services, or commercial activities, shall be liable in a civil action by any person who believes that he or she is or is likely to be damaged by such act."

Even though he isn't on a contract, Jerry Lamberts likeness is known as the "Sony guy" and he in turn will be associated with Sony. Sony is suing because they believe this will damage them.

I said this before. They think they own his face
---
The Official GigaVolts Seal of Approval
http://i.imgur.com/WgB8X.png
#46CorruptedRPGPosted 10/6/2012 6:21:36 PM
SUPER3METROIDX posted...

It'll damage them all right
---
18k(50k) Vita/50k(175k) Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
Vita fanboys are setting themselves up to be mocked badly tomorrow
~ FierceJello
#47xfactorPosted 10/6/2012 6:21:46 PM
Great. Now other celebrities will think twice before helping sony to promote vita/ps3/ps4 in ads from this moment onwards now.
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6
#48Rickoon5Posted 10/6/2012 6:25:30 PM
maiden1993 posted...
In other news, Sony representatives have killed a man dressed as Crash Bandicoot in front of a group of children.

LOL, just a regular day at Sony.
---
"I'll do whatever it takes."
#49UniversquallPosted 10/6/2012 6:25:32 PM
Strange. They've never even sued Nintendo. Yet now they are going after an individual.
---
After the Fallout
#50kdiz4321Posted 10/6/2012 6:31:08 PM
GigaVolts posted...
SUPER3METROIDX posted...

I said this before. They think they own his face

If that's the case then this is going to be a waste of money for Sony. You can't own someone's face unless you keep paying the person to work for you, and considering that there is no contract I would assume they weren't.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.