Sony finally admits vita sales "below expectation" and still lack of support

#1nariusseldonPosted 11/6/2012 8:58:47 AM
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/11/yoshida_playstation_vita_sales_are_below_expectations

"Chatting candidly with French website Lemonde, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida revealed that the platform's sales are “below expectations”.

“Consumers now have multimedia devices, such as smartphones,” the outspoken executive noted. “These devices include the ability to play, and it is difficult for us to justify the purchase of an additional machine.”

"In another, almost defeatist snippet, Yoshida lamented the changed focus of mobile developers: “With the rise of mobile gaming, studios have started to transition, allocating more resources to this type of production,” he added. “Even if the creators want to develop games on the Vita, they unfortunately have fewer resources to do so. One solution is to encourage the support of the platform by smaller development studios.”
#2FayeLadyPosted 11/6/2012 9:05:03 AM
Perhaps now that they aren't skating around this issue, they can address it.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#3TomorrowDogPosted 11/6/2012 9:11:23 AM
I hope they realize that there is still a demand for "core" games on a dedicated handheld gaming console, it just doesn't work so well as a high-end multimedia device. They should try driving down costs and just being about good, decent priced games.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#4NnamzPosted 11/6/2012 9:12:38 AM
By the end of Vita's life cycle I fuly expect the only big titles it will be getting will be from Sony, Capcom, Square, and Konami. Any other support will come in the form of tiny downloadable phone ports.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#5FayeLadyPosted 11/6/2012 9:19:00 AM
TomorrowDog posted...
I hope they realize that there is still a demand for "core" games on a dedicated handheld gaming console, it just doesn't work so well as a high-end multimedia device. They should try driving down costs and just being about good, decent priced games.

That is a dangerous road to head down. You make a game on the budget of Angry Birds and no one buys, you'll have another shot. You make a game on the budget of Uncharted and no one buys, you have an issue.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#6TomorrowDogPosted 11/6/2012 9:23:28 AM
I believe Sony is already on a dangerous road.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#7mjnoir1Posted 11/6/2012 9:34:26 AM
We really dont need wannabee reporters. This is getting VERY old.
#8nariusseldon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/6/2012 9:36:09 AM
mjnoir1 posted...
We really dont need wannabee reporters. This is getting VERY old.

Old? This is a new article.

This is also the FIRST time that Sony admits vita sales is "below expectation".

We also all that it is bad .. BUT Sony admitting it .. is a big step.
#9LuminescentRulePosted 11/6/2012 9:37:14 AM
That's an old comment from Shuhei Yoshida.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#10TheBlackBat7Posted 11/6/2012 9:39:18 AM
This is good. Now they'll focus on more ways to boost sales and support. Might make them think outside the box.
---
PSVita Council's official Secretary Of Defense
VPSN: theblackbat07