Piracy killed the psp... WTF??

#31Pharsti01Posted 11/14/2012 8:04:36 AM
It didnt, its as simple as that, look at Japan, their psps are as easily pirated as everyones else, yet it still lives.

Look at the psx, ps2, 360, ds, gba, so on and on and on, piracy has never killed a system.
#32darkstar4221Posted 11/14/2012 8:05:00 AM
Jumpmandk posted...
Piracy did not kill the PSP............Sony killed the PSP, the same way they are killing the Vita. Almost no support or advertising, very poor translations of very key franchises, over priced sony only memory cards, ect.

At this point I welcome piracy, as it's the only way I can see myself still using the Vita years from now, as Sony just doesn't seem to care anymore. I'm still using my PSP, as hacking has made it a much better system overall.

Can you explain how the PSP is dead?
#33SilverWingZetaPosted 11/14/2012 4:49:01 PM
MegaMettaur posted...
SilverWingZeta posted...
J_Can_Man posted...
It's actually much easier on the PSP. Back in the day it was risky and took a lot of work, now anyone can upload 2 files on their PSP and BAM! Instant CFW.

Not really anytime you flash firmware you risk bricking the hardware, doesn't matter how stupid proof it is. Hell you can flash the DS firmware and risk bricking it (And it's a pain to do and useless honestly).

pandora's battery and magic memory stick will fix bricked psps

And if you make a pandora battery you risk screwing that up. Even more so if you don't have a battery made in china before the japan made ones started coming out. Besides if you have a pandora battery and jig stick you can just flash the firmware that way.
---
Gamefaqs seems to full of nothing but butthurt babies sometimes.
#34The_DjokerPosted 11/14/2012 4:52:56 PM
LAck of piracy is going to kill Vita.
---
http://s12.postimage.org/8orxdffrv/ps4golden.png
#35TheExiled280Posted 11/14/2012 5:22:55 PM
LAck of piracy is going to kill Vita.

http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

I really can't believe you just posted that....
---
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
~C.S. Lewis
#36BrasenPosted 11/14/2012 6:35:07 PM
darkstar4221 posted...
The PSP sold over 70 million units worldwide, the PSP is a huge success. Piracy only made the PSP more lucrative. The best way to kill off piracy is to lower prices for their games. I believe $40 is a little too much for a handheld, I also believe $60 is too much for a console game. I think $24.99 would be more reasonable for handheld games, and $40 for console games.

Look at the Vita, it's anti-piracy restrictions is making consumers think twice about buying the Vita.

MMaestro posted...
Piracy didn't kill the PSP (or DS).

Everyone just likes to complain about how certain developers/games *cough*Monster Hunter*cough* raked in a disproportionate amount of money/sales for those systems but know that they can't specifically mention it. So they pick on piracy, despite the fact that a number of developers have been eking out a profit just fine. (Atlus, SquareEnix, Konami and Sega(!) have all made profit off the PSP)

Terry-bogard posted...
In the videogames industry and in the music industry people that priate games do buy more games.
It's a fact . Piracy actually helps a console, especially the psp which has so many homebrews running.

Bingo you three.

PSP didn't die because of piracy. Hell its the only thing that gave it some mainstream success. It's software did not appeal to western gamers outside the unfortunate dying off of the RPG craze, ...very unfortunate... Sony did a piss poor job of marketing it anyway just like they're doing with the Vita. PSP was only successful because you could customize the hell out of it, and thats the f****** bottom dollar. But besides that what little marketing Sony actually did for the PSP, you know the teens and young adults? Yeah, too bad they was all moving towards shooters at that time... Thats why it's software died.

DS had no more or less of piracy issues. Nintendo was just fortunate enough to have a base of gamers dedicated to it's first party, so its software had a market to sell in. Economics.

I actually don't approve of out right piracy. I can understand wanting to have a digital SNES game of the physical one you already own but thats as far as I go on it... rather its right or wrong. But usually in history, the more something is pirated the more sales/profits/success it has. There are businesses who turn piracy in their favor as a way to advertise/promote it's product/service/brand it/etc and so on. You have to be smart about it, not alienate your consumers and pass the buck on them *cough* Sony *cough*.
#37SuperVegito2487(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 7:01:07 PM
It would be nice if sony would make homebrew a possibillity, or atleast allow private people to make material for the vita... then we, or i could get a pdf reader... my phone and psp just aint big enough for it, screenwise.

Why wont sony make homebrew or another equel option possible?
Would it make piracy ,free games, easier to access?? and what the hell is going on here, my keyboard and this writing box works fine with letters, for the most part but when i try anything else s*** gets real...
---
http://www.xkcd.com/609/ GT SuperVegitoFAN
This is why Chrome isnt as good as people says.
#38Maxi_AdelheidPosted 11/14/2012 7:10:18 PM
After seeing alot of consoles (and handhelds) come and go. I would say that piracy in a huge way does help uplift and market a system to the general masses. There will be a demographic that would detest pirating games, a demographic that pirates a game and buys it afterwards, and a demographic that only pirates games. Nevertheless, all of these groups of people contribute to hardware purchase stats, which always has been a factor for developers and publishers for the level of support to the console or handheld.
#39maxmansupaPosted 11/14/2012 10:00:55 PM
Brasen posted...
darkstar4221 posted...
The PSP sold over 70 million units worldwide, the PSP is a huge success. Piracy only made the PSP more lucrative. The best way to kill off piracy is to lower prices for their games. I believe $40 is a little too much for a handheld, I also believe $60 is too much for a console game. I think $24.99 would be more reasonable for handheld games, and $40 for console games.

Look at the Vita, it's anti-piracy restrictions is making consumers think twice about buying the Vita.

MMaestro posted...
Piracy didn't kill the PSP (or DS).

Everyone just likes to complain about how certain developers/games *cough*Monster Hunter*cough* raked in a disproportionate amount of money/sales for those systems but know that they can't specifically mention it. So they pick on piracy, despite the fact that a number of developers have been eking out a profit just fine. (Atlus, SquareEnix, Konami and Sega(!) have all made profit off the PSP)

Terry-bogard posted...
In the videogames industry and in the music industry people that priate games do buy more games.
It's a fact . Piracy actually helps a console, especially the psp which has so many homebrews running.

Bingo you three.

PSP didn't die because of piracy. Hell its the only thing that gave it some mainstream success. It's software did not appeal to western gamers outside the unfortunate dying off of the RPG craze, ...very unfortunate... Sony did a piss poor job of marketing it anyway just like they're doing with the Vita. PSP was only successful because you could customize the hell out of it, and thats the f****** bottom dollar. But besides that what little marketing Sony actually did for the PSP, you know the teens and young adults? Yeah, too bad they was all moving towards shooters at that time... Thats why it's software died.

DS had no more or less of piracy issues. Nintendo was just fortunate enough to have a base of gamers dedicated to it's first party, so its software had a market to sell in. Economics.

I actually don't approve of out right piracy. I can understand wanting to have a digital SNES game of the physical one you already own but thats as far as I go on it... rather its right or wrong. But usually in history, the more something is pirated the more sales/profits/success it has. There are businesses who turn piracy in their favor as a way to advertise/promote it's product/service/brand it/etc and so on. You have to be smart about it, not alienate your consumers and pass the buck on them *cough* Sony *cough*.

Can you prove that pirates buy more games thanks to piracy? Because that sounds like flawed logic to me.

Unless you mean the hardware itself...
#40TechniMyokoPosted 11/15/2012 3:21:01 AM
SuperVegito2487 posted...
How can that possibly be true...

Because if it is then why isnt ds dying... even the 3ds can very easily play ds games... FOR FREE...

I... i just dont get it.

Ds piracy was never even close to psps level cause psp didn't require additional hardware to hack.

3ds can't use ds flashcards, each firmware update blocks more