Was this a good idea?

#1bsballa09Posted 11/14/2012 4:37:38 PM(edited)
Ok, so I heard that to use the 3G on the Vita, you obviously need the 3G version AND already have a contract with AT&T (this last part I'm not 100% sure), so when I bought my Vita in February, I decided to just buy the Wifi version. So fast forward to a few days ago, I got a Galaxy S3 with a 2 year contract wih Sprint, and my bill is about 90 dollars a month with unlimited everything, and I was told by the people at Best Buy that my phone had wifi hotspot capability. I go home, it doesn't have hotspot so they take off 20 dollars off my bill. So then I go again, and they gave me a wifi hotspot device that I can play online with my Vita, and that's 35 dollars a month for 3 gigs of data. But if I were to have AT&T, unlimited everything would be about 110 dollars, 50 dollars extra for the 3G Vita, and 25 dollars a month for 2 gig data plan for the Vita. But with the plan I have now, it's 125 a month total. Good idea or no?
---
inafterinb4bsballa
Seeing Louis CK stand up, 3rd row, November 28th.
#2XphoenixedgeXPosted 11/14/2012 4:40:55 PM
IMO, no monthly cell phone plans area a good idea. Those monthly bills are ridiculous for and I just stick to pre-paid.
#3biggy204Posted 11/14/2012 4:43:01 PM
I just use my phone as a wifi hotspot (given I have an iphone and the option is there). So there is no extra fee to pay on top not to mention I have 6GB of data to use monthly. I do simple browsing on the phone as well as youtube, im most likely going to mainly use my wifi hotspot open if i were to play online MP games. Since DL'ing games from PSN i can do at home.
---
"Do you smelllllllllllllllllllllll what The Rock Is Cookin" - the Rock
"No but who farted??" - Everyone else
#4Abiz_Posted 11/14/2012 4:45:55 PM
I'm only paying 30 dollars for 3gbs on the vita.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#5bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 5:01:07 PM(edited)
Abiz_ posted...
I'm only paying 30 dollars for 3gbs on the vita.

And I'm only paying 35 dollars for 3GB of data on the Vita technically, plus any other device that has wifi.
---
inafterinb4bsballa
#6pr0adamPosted 11/14/2012 5:01:18 PM
bsballa09 posted...
Ok, so I heard that to use the 3G on the Vita, you obviously need the 3G version AND already have a contract with AT&T (this last part I'm not 100% sure), so when I bought my Vita in February, I decided to just buy the Wifi version. So fast forward to a few days ago, I got a Galaxy S3 with a 2 year contract wih Sprint, and my bill is about 90 dollars a month with unlimited everything, and I was told by the people at Best Buy that my phone had wifi hotspot capability. I go home, it doesn't have hotspot so they take off 20 dollars off my bill. So then I go again, and they gave me a wifi hotspot device that I can play online with my Vita, and that's 35 dollars a month for 3 gigs of data. But if I were to have AT&T, unlimited everything would be about 110 dollars, 50 dollars extra for the 3G Vita, and 25 dollars a month for 2 gig data plan for the Vita. But with the plan I have now, it's 125 a month total. Good idea or no?

you should root your phone. if you can figure out to do that(its not hard) you should be able to have wi-fi hotspot capabilities for sure. Im surprised you dont have it by default, actually.
---
PSN: Killaruna
#7bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 5:10:03 PM(edited)
I just tried rooting my phone about an hour ago, and it didn't work. Don't know why, I followed the instructions perfectly. I don't have wifi hotspot by default because I have a Sprint phone, and Sprint phones don't allow it.
---
inafterinb4bsballa
#8pr0adamPosted 11/14/2012 6:56:58 PM
bsballa09 posted...
I just tried rooting my phone about an hour ago, and it didn't work. Don't know why, I followed the instructions perfectly. I don't have wifi hotspot by default because I have a Sprint phone, and Sprint phones don't allow it.

interesting, i would like to go into specifics but i dont have an s3, my roomate and several of my friends do(all rooted) but if not already, i strongly reccomend you check out xda-developers. Good site for guides/tutorials into rooting. My friends are also on verizon so i cannot comment about the sprint rules for hotspot from personal experience,sorry.

But, if you have unlimited 4g, it is ridiculously fast to be used as a hotspot so I reccomend you try hard to get it working, it will be worth it.
---
PSN: Killaruna
#9bsballa09(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 9:25:57 PM
pr0adam posted...
bsballa09 posted...

interesting, i would like to go into specifics but i dont have an s3, my roomate and several of my friends do(all rooted) but if not already, i strongly reccomend you check out xda-developers. Good site for guides/tutorials into rooting. My friends are also on verizon so i cannot comment about the sprint rules for hotspot from personal experience,sorry.

But, if you have unlimited 4g, it is ridiculously fast to be used as a hotspot so I reccomend you try hard to get it working, it will be worth it.

I guess I'll just have to wait for Foxfi to come out with a Sprint version.
---
inafterinb4bsballa