I thought Americans were rich ..

#11Thirdrail1Posted 11/16/2012 4:27:20 AM
Americans aren't rich. Some places are rich. Lots of the rural south east is no better off than a third world country.

I think the disconnect is that California and New York, two extremely wealthy states, produce basically everything you see about America when you live in other countries. America isn't one big country, the way many foreigners think. It's 50 little countries where English is the predominant language. Texas and California, for example, are far more different from one another than, say, New Mexico and Baja California.

I lived in Mexico for years, so I'm very familiar with this attitude. I met so many people there who just assumed I had limitless amounts of money because I was a white guy. They treated me the way 5 year old kids treat their parents - as though I could afford anything I wanted, no matter what, and the only reason I could possibly have for not giving them money, or buying them everything they wanted, was just that I was being mean. It made sense that they thought that, since their perception of America was based solely on television and movies, but if you're old enough and educated enough to post things in English on a gaming site, you should know that has no more to do with reality than watching Empire Strikes Back and assuming that everyone in the US military drives an AT-AT to work.
---
Understand this: Game reviews are written by people who think being a "video game journalist" is possible.
#12pikachupwnagePosted 11/16/2012 4:43:56 AM
Darkriku666 posted...
Not gonna take part in this argument but where exactly do you get the idea that Americans are rich? Yeah we're not exactly 3rd world, but millions of our citizens are living in poverty.

We are the richest country in the world and our poor are still richer then the rest of the worlds poor.

Every country has some poor people because everywhere has lazy people and people struck by misfortune.
---
"Let's get comfortable in these nice comfy chairs."
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF
#13JP_SartrePosted 11/16/2012 5:09:50 AM
Don't worry. The US is being brought down to third world standards, this last election cycle proves it.
---
"The Virtual Boy didn't fail. We failed the Virtual Boy"
-fallenKlNG
#14MknzycPosted 11/16/2012 5:29:53 AM
Ummm we are under the worst recession since the great deppression. And they say Americans are ignorant.
#15blunderminePosted 11/16/2012 5:30:59 AM
Shadowfxd2 posted...
it's not about the money, it's about is it worth the money. Just because you have a grand, doesn't mean you should buy a $800 cheeseburger in Hollywood, when McDonalds has it for a dollar...

Although if you did have a grand it might be worth getting something a little better than McDonalds.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#16ljobenzaPosted 11/16/2012 5:53:31 AM
Mknzyc posted...
Ummm we are under the worst recession since the great deppression. And they say Americans are ignorant.

You mean people weren't complaining about console prices since forever?

Remember 599 US DOLLAHS?
#17stargazer64Posted 11/16/2012 5:57:43 AM
JP_Sartre posted...
Don't worry. The US is being brought down to third world standards, this last election cycle proves it.

LOL....maybe if the Republicans had come up with a half-decent candidate then things would have turned out differently. Romney flipped and flopped in desperation so often that he lost what little credibility he started with.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#18deathpapayaPosted 11/16/2012 6:03:26 AM
Just because you have the money too buy both a $50 10 course meal at a fancy restaurant (3DS) and a $55 microwave pasta from the supermarket (Vita) doesn't mean you should buy both.
---
XBL: Genophia PSN: Emophia/Kitikat Steam ID: Emophia
#19FayeLadyPosted 11/16/2012 6:05:29 AM
The amount of money is only one matter. With the economy the way it is, people are very aware of value. A toy that cost 250 and plays fewer games than the other toys that cost less is not an inviting offer.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#20ChikaraXPosted 11/16/2012 6:21:38 AM
I'm from Holland (And Apple MAC user) but I talked about all that with some of my US friends years ago.

Keeping up appearances.
To make things look all right whether they are or not. We must keep up appearances even if it means little sacrifices here and there. Things may be unpleasant, but we will keep up appearances.

Remember the Family Guy episode when Pee'd~her meets his Irish dad.
Dad: Why can't you be good looking like most Americans?
Peter: Actually I'm quite typical. Most American look nothing like they're portrayed in the media. In fact obesity is one of our country's public health concerns chiefly due to our diet combination with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.
Dad: Yahwowalluha neh wa..

Most people think Americans are all war mongers, all about the rich and dominating the world (But enough about Bush, lol)

In reality there's a lot of poverty.. The rich get richer and the poor get.. well.. I don't think some can get any poorer (Looks at China.. Okay.. You can get poorer).. Even the middle class is slowly pushed to the poor category.. It's not good when more and more people need to go to a food bank/ soup kitchen (Google it)

Many people buy stuff with credit cards but forget that they didn't actually buy it.. Their Credit Card company did.. And now their souls belongs to them.

Now those people have to work their fingers to the bone to pay off all those debts.. THESE people don't have the time to go to war with some country somewhere on the planet for unknown reasons.

Now you better not get sick.. Some people try to change the health-care system so everybody can have some form of affordable care.. Sadly the rich don't want everybody to have proper care and that means that if you get sick, that debt you already had, will increase even more.. .. If you're lucky.

And now you want to do some recreation?! Gaming.. Vacation.. Whatever.. Well good luck with that.

Europe is going the into the same direction.. If you're living in countries like Greece good luck getting the Vita, 3DS, iPhone and the iPad.

Ah well, at least it's almost 12-12-12, my dragon sign will cleanse the world, lol.