I thought Americans were rich ..

#21BahamutBBobPosted 11/16/2012 6:22:54 AM
sesshomaru_55 posted...
People can't accept that they're poor so they try to come up with these reasons to justify not getting a Vita/3DS to tell others.

I don't have a lot of money. I don't spend ~$2000 on a ~$1200 laptop. I spent $600 just under a year ago doing a major overhaul on my desktop.

I own a 3DS and a Vita. I should not have bought the 3DS, the software just doesn't interest me enough. The Vita has been good so far.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#22kingofall214Posted 11/16/2012 6:38:30 AM
you thought wrong
#23pikachupwnagePosted 11/16/2012 6:58:07 AM
ChikaraX posted...
I'm from Holland (And Apple MAC user) but I talked about all that with some of my US friends years ago.

Keeping up appearances.
To make things look all right whether they are or not. We must keep up appearances even if it means little sacrifices here and there. Things may be unpleasant, but we will keep up appearances.

Remember the Family Guy episode when Pee'd~her meets his Irish dad.
Dad: Why can't you be good looking like most Americans?
Peter: Actually I'm quite typical. Most American look nothing like they're portrayed in the media. In fact obesity is one of our country's public health concerns chiefly due to our diet combination with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.
Dad: Yahwowalluha neh wa..

Most people think Americans are all war mongers, all about the rich and dominating the world (But enough about Bush, lol)

In reality there's a lot of poverty.. The rich get richer and the poor get.. well.. I don't think some can get any poorer (Looks at China.. Okay.. You can get poorer).. Even the middle class is slowly pushed to the poor category.. It's not good when more and more people need to go to a food bank/ soup kitchen (Google it)

Many people buy stuff with credit cards but forget that they didn't actually buy it.. Their Credit Card company did.. And now their souls belongs to them.

Now those people have to work their fingers to the bone to pay off all those debts.. THESE people don't have the time to go to war with some country somewhere on the planet for unknown reasons.

Now you better not get sick.. Some people try to change the health-care system so everybody can have some form of affordable care.. Sadly the rich don't want everybody to have proper care and that means that if you get sick, that debt you already had, will increase even more.. .. If you're lucky.

And now you want to do some recreation?! Gaming.. Vacation.. Whatever.. Well good luck with that.

Europe is going the into the same direction.. If you're living in countries like Greece good luck getting the Vita, 3DS, iPhone and the iPad.

Ah well, at least it's almost 12-12-12, my dragon sign will cleanse the world, lol.

Blah blah wealthy are evil blah blah.
---
"Let's get comfortable in these nice comfy chairs."
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF
#24FelineCyborgPosted 11/16/2012 7:02:22 AM
i'm not even rich and i thought the vita was worth it. poor or rich $250 isn't much, especially if you have the ability to SAVE money which is the most important factor more so than actual salary, but thats a whole nother discussion :)
---
Stay, go, what do I care? - Random Citizen in Oblivion
#25FelineCyborgPosted 11/16/2012 7:08:16 AM
FelineCyborg posted...
i'm not even rich and i thought the vita was worth it. poor or rich $250 isn't much, especially if you have the ability to SAVE money which is the most important factor more so than actual salary, but thats a whole nother discussion :)

The amount of money is only one matter. With the economy the way it is, people are very aware of value. A toy that cost 250 and plays fewer games than the other toys that cost less is not an inviting offer.

but the vita does have value, many people seem to think so. I own a DS with a huge game backlog for it, a decent gaming quality pc, and a ps3 and guess which I've gamed the most on this year? the vita.
---
Stay, go, what do I care? - Random Citizen in Oblivion
#26Shadowfxd2Posted 11/16/2012 7:13:21 AM
FelineCyborg posted...

It's not about rich or poor, it's about want. Not many people want the vita, that's why Sony hasn't lowered the price. I have a vita and I can see both sides of wanting it and not.
---
http://i.imgur.com/NbGmq.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/ARXXY.jpg
Equals: http://i.imgur.com/ZpBae.jpg, Hmmm: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29629070.jpg
#27Lord_VishanaPosted 11/16/2012 7:28:17 AM(edited)
pikachupwnage posted...
ChikaraX posted...
I'm from Holland (And Apple MAC user) but I talked about all that with some of my US friends years ago.

Keeping up appearances.
To make things look all right whether they are or not. We must keep up appearances even if it means little sacrifices here and there. Things may be unpleasant, but we will keep up appearances.

Remember the Family Guy episode when Pee'd~her meets his Irish dad.
Dad: Why can't you be good looking like most Americans?
Peter: Actually I'm quite typical. Most American look nothing like they're portrayed in the media. In fact obesity is one of our country's public health concerns chiefly due to our diet combination with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.
Dad: Yahwowalluha neh wa..

Most people think Americans are all war mongers, all about the rich and dominating the world (But enough about Bush, lol)

In reality there's a lot of poverty.. The rich get richer and the poor get.. well.. I don't think some can get any poorer (Looks at China.. Okay.. You can get poorer).. Even the middle class is slowly pushed to the poor category.. It's not good when more and more people need to go to a food bank/ soup kitchen (Google it)

Many people buy stuff with credit cards but forget that they didn't actually buy it.. Their Credit Card company did.. And now their souls belongs to them.

Now those people have to work their fingers to the bone to pay off all those debts.. THESE people don't have the time to go to war with some country somewhere on the planet for unknown reasons.

Now you better not get sick.. Some people try to change the health-care system so everybody can have some form of affordable care.. Sadly the rich don't want everybody to have proper care and that means that if you get sick, that debt you already had, will increase even more.. .. If you're lucky.

And now you want to do some recreation?! Gaming.. Vacation.. Whatever.. Well good luck with that.

Europe is going the into the same direction.. If you're living in countries like Greece good luck getting the Vita, 3DS, iPhone and the iPad.

Ah well, at least it's almost 12-12-12, my dragon sign will cleanse the world, lol.

Blah blah wealthy are evil blah blah.

Okies pika, Please don't take offense as I still like you. I know you hate Obama and think liberals are evil but I want to explain something.

I'm actually what OWS would deem a part of the 1%. My parents are extremely wealthy and I'm even a trustfund baby. All signs should lead to me being conservative/republican right?Well actually, despite the wealth my ideals are extremely liberal. I unfortunately qualify for lower tax rates(which is just silly) despite qualifying for them I never take advantage of them. I always pay more than what I owe. The reason? Money isn't that important to me personally. The vast majority of my money goes towards helping people, charity, homeless shelters, animal rights groups, local school donations ect. I wish more affluent people would be like me and understand being privileged gives you the obligation to help others not yourself.

Look, I do think Obama is a good president and he's going to continue the positive changes America needs into a second term. If you think I hate conservatives or republicans, you're wrong. I hate the extremism from the Tea Party that has taken control of the party like a parasite. For the Republican party to survive, the tea party movement has to end.
---
Official Wood Elf Druid of the NDF and KDF
"Well, I dont have any friends." - VeghEsther
#28shampoowarriorPosted 11/16/2012 7:29:10 AM
I read recently that the distribution of wealth in America more closely resembles a third world dictatorship than it does any other 1st world country.

Not sure how true that is but we certainly aren't all rich.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#29gamemaster712Posted 11/16/2012 7:32:52 AM
FelineCyborg posted...

or not buy so many games that you'll never finish... i found Vita worthwhile...despite a few freezes here and there...it's got enough games i wanted, more to come, and i still got many DL games from PSP days that are available on Vita...
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#30darkstar4221Posted 11/16/2012 7:45:10 AM(edited)
Thirdrail1 posted...
Americans aren't rich. Some places are rich. Lots of the rural south east is no better off than a third world country.

I think the disconnect is that California and New York, two extremely wealthy states, produce basically everything you see about America when you live in other countries. America isn't one big country, the way many foreigners think. It's 50 little countries where English is the predominant language. Texas and California, for example, are far more different from one another than, say, New Mexico and Baja California.

I lived in Mexico for years, so I'm very familiar with this attitude. I met so many people there who just assumed I had limitless amounts of money because I was a white guy. They treated me the way 5 year old kids treat their parents - as though I could afford anything I wanted, no matter what, and the only reason I could possibly have for not giving them money, or buying them everything they wanted, was just that I was being mean. It made sense that they thought that, since their perception of America was based solely on television and movies, but if you're old enough and educated enough to post things in English on a gaming site, you should know that has no more to do with reality than watching Empire Strikes Back and assuming that everyone in the US military drives an AT-AT to work.

California is not rich, California has the highest amount of people unemployed, America is $16 trillion in debt. There is an illusion that America is rich because of the artificially low interest rates set by the federal reserve, and all the countries around the world who continue to buy our treasury bonds, but America isn't rich as it used to be. Sure there is millions of people who are rich in the US (with a population of over 300 million), but there is millions of people who are poor or struggling to pay ends meat.