How To Measure A Console's Success...

#1mattatvgalPosted 11/16/2012 4:58:26 AM
I keep reading about how Vita is failing. How Nintendo's 3DS is far outselling the Vita and so forth. While this is surely the case, I would like to point out that hardware sales should not be the sole factor in determining a console's success. Allow me to elaborate: Software Conversion Rate.

I would love to know the average number of games owned on people's Vitas vs. their 3DS. Yes, I'm also talking about digital content. In my view, Sony has the most content available digitally in the form of PSP, PSONE, and even day one Vita releases available at reasonable prices. Nintendo cannot claim the same level of content offering because it doesn't offer DS or even GBA games in its EShop.

What I'm saying is, I bet Sony is making quite a bit more money from EACH vita owned than Nintendo is. I know I own Four games for my Vita as opposed to One on my 3DS, digital releases included. So I guess We'll see when Sony releases some more interesting statistics, and when people stop reporting on hardware sales as the sole factor in trying to predict whether a console will continue to be supported. Developers, take note, and please continue to make games for this console :)
#2lambchipsPosted 11/16/2012 5:03:59 AM
mattatvgal posted...
What I'm saying is, I bet Sony is making quite a bit more money from EACH vita owned than Nintendo is.

how much you want to bet?
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#3Sho_Minamimoto_Posted 11/16/2012 5:06:40 AM
I bet Sony is making quite a bit more money from EACH vita owned than Nintendo is.

I'd close my account if Nintendo is making more money than Sony for each Vita owned. Then again, Nintendo fanboys would buy Vitas if Nintendo actually made any money out of it.
---
SINE! COSINE! TANGENT!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7e4xPatGKA
#4mattatvgal(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 5:18:23 AM
lambchips posted...
mattatvgal posted...
What I'm saying is, I bet Sony is making quite a bit more money from EACH vita owned than Nintendo is.

how much you want to bet?

I guess that isn't my point. My point is that I want some real analytical type numbers, like the amount of profit made from hardware plus digital sales for both Nintendo and Sony's handhelds, so we can more accurately state whether Vita is indeed snowballing into oblivion.
#5pikachupwnagePosted 11/16/2012 5:24:16 AM
I own 18 Retail 3DS games, 14 3DSware, 34 virtual console games and 4 3D classics.

And a good dozen+ 3DS games currentlly out left to get.

Compared to Vita

I have 6 retail games, 8 PSN games, 1 PSP game and 1 PS1 game. I have had Vita for less time but even if I had it as long as 3DS I would still have more 3DS games. I love them both though.

So I have 72 3DS games which is 18 times your Vita games.

I also know several people with as many or far more 3DS games then you have Vita games. Heck Kitt thrust has several dozen just with Retail games. On the flip side the one guy on here has a equally enormous collection of Vita and PS1/PSP games.

My point is that you having 4 games compared to one 3DS game hardly proves anything as I can simply counter that with my own much larger attach rate and use it as some sort of example. But the fact is on both systems most your average joes only own the most popular game or two and don't know or don't care about PS1 and PSP or DS and GBA games.
---
"Let's get comfortable in these nice comfy chairs."
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF
#6pikachupwnagePosted 11/16/2012 5:25:30 AM
Sho_Minamimoto_ posted...
I bet Sony is making quite a bit more money from EACH vita owned than Nintendo is.

I'd close my account if Nintendo is making more money than Sony for each Vita owned. Then again, Nintendo fanboys would buy Vitas if Nintendo actually made any money out of it.

Err what?
---
"Let's get comfortable in these nice comfy chairs."
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF
#7MewtwoExPosted 11/16/2012 5:31:50 AM
What brand of Vitassurance is this?
are you accepting donations?

Anyways, Id like to say this, since you seem to have missed it

the 3DS just outsold the Vita 46 to 1 last week

Now, if you want to see the full picture, go ask the same question on the 3DS board
---
http://dunzi.wippiespace.com/pics/trollin-hatin.jpg
#8blunderminePosted 11/16/2012 5:39:27 AM(edited)
I know it's not the best measure, but by using polls on here I've been trying to get an idea of how many people buy their Vita games digitally rather than via retail. From what I've seen it's about 5:1 retail to digital sales right now. At least that's what it was for LBP and ACL.

Meanwhile, Nintendo had 25% of its Animal Crossing opening week sales be digital.

I can't really comment on eShop vs PSN though. I don't know why you think PSN would have a better attachment rate, especially when there's more content on the eShop.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#9M DAMAGEPosted 11/16/2012 5:42:41 AM
This vitasurance is pathetic. When you're getting outsold 47 to 1 like the dead vita is, the software difference is a forgone conclusion, even without concrete numbers.

As long as every 3ds owner is buying at least 2 or 3 games, (which i'd bet my lifesavings they are) then the vita is getting thrashed.

Again, 47 to 1 WITH each 3ds owner buying at least 2 or 3 games is no contest no matter what the vita's software numbers are.
#10mattatvgal(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 5:43:11 AM
MewtwoEx posted...
What brand of Vitassurance is this?
are you accepting donations?

Anyways, Id like to say this, since you seem to have missed it

the 3DS just outsold the Vita 46 to 1 last week

Now, if you want to see the full picture, go ask the same question on the 3DS board

Hmmm, your name is Mewtwo, first of all. Yes, I did state first that 3DS is greatly outselling Vita. Finally, I didn't post a question, but a plea to consider different factors involved in making money.