Someone please list the ways a 3DS is better than a Vita

#71MonopomanPosted 11/19/2012 1:53:46 AM
Chiron11 posted...
popsi_netn posted...
Games ? Really ?

I bought the 3DS last spring with one game and now it's still the only game I own. There seems to be one major release every 2-3 months (New Mario 2, Layton).

For a console out for more than a year and a half, the game library is simply shameful.

I don't remember if the GBA was so slow to start but I'm getting impatient for good, exclusive games. Maybe holidays will reverse the tendence, I hope so because if it wasn't for the retro-compatibility, I wouldn't have played 3DS at all since I bought it.

I skipped the DS so there's a lot of games I can enjoy with the console but then I would've simply buy a cheaper, used DS.

Wait for a proper Pokemon 3DS game, sales of the 3DS will skyrocket, and due to the larger demand for games they will start churning them out.

This is the truth unfortunately, Pokemon dictates the popularity of every Nintendo handheld on the planet it seems.

Despite lacking much innovation in the franchise, tons of pokefanatics buy every damn game and will gladly put down any amount of money for the handheld to play it on if they lack it. Kids also beg their respective parents for Pokemon games no matter what which really helps drive sales. Pokemon is nowhere near its heyday but it still is an extremely powerful franchise.

DS was slow going until the first 2 Pokemon games came out. Nintendo also loves to wait on releasing the Pokemon game on their new handheld also to make sure that there is a decent user base they did the same with the jump from GBA to DS. Despite the 3DS having been out a good while they put Pokemon Black 2/White 2 on the DS.
#72Dynasty_VicPosted 11/19/2012 2:28:14 AM
AstralFrost posted...
Yeah I'm posting this here instead of the 3DS board because I actually think the 3DS trolls will jump at the opportunity to give a comparison, since they spend so much time talking about the Vita.

Can someone please tell me what exactly a 3DS has going for it, particularly what it does better than a Vita?

This is think of when I think about a 3DS:
- children's games
- region lock
- clunky, square design
- single analog
- low battery life
- two screens with touch
- gimmicky 3D
- backwards compatability with DS... offset by region lock
- Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, none of which I care about
- doesn't come with a charger in some regions... LOL?
- can be bricked by firmware update
- stability issues (eg completely wiped save games on Virtue's Last Reward, and only allows ONE save)
- cheaper than a Vita
- selling considerably better than the Vita

So yeah, I don't understand what it does better than a Vita at all (other than being cheaper). Someone educate me. Someone give me a list of awesome games that make me go "MY GOD I WAS WRONG ALL ALONG!!!!!1111" Because all I see is a cheaper and inferior console that seems to be selling better due to having lots children's games.

I have just realised that this person has no idea what the 3DS is at all and can do...
Even I know more and I don't even have one. O.o

e.g. two touch screens on 3DS, its only one
Childish games, but most games are built for children and what is a defination of a childish game?
Wiped save games... but it runs and saves on a cartridge... You may just delete the game time history I guess... Also its more of the games fault and not the console really...
---
Taking the Dustiflier easily for KH 358/2 Days :http://youtu.be/XH6LFvUVrjM
#73Haseo18615Posted 11/19/2012 2:34:12 AM
Great, this topic again.
---
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?-envoyofuno
#74L0L_FAQPosted 11/19/2012 2:36:13 AM
Despite lacking much innovation in the franchise

Ignorance. Anyone who claims Pokemon to have no innovations is either making sweeping reductionist generalizations or hasn't played them at all.
---
http://i.imgur.com/vpXc3.png http://i.imgur.com/lljy5.jpg
"L0L_FAQ is one of the reasons I even read the forums any more" - CJayC
#75The_Nemesis15Posted 11/19/2012 2:36:27 AM
Dark Gunner posted...
Vita is technically a far superior system to the 3DS, the only reason the 3DS is doing better is because it has more good games on it. I own both and I love both so.....whatever.

The "only reason" is generally the main reason any system succeeds or fails. Gaming history shows that software moves the hardware, not the other way around, and that within each system cycle, the "winner" usually can't be determined by system power. The Wii might not have been top of the heap by the end of this gen, but it put up a damn good fight considering how weak it is compared to the PS3/360. The PS2 ruled its generation with an iron fist in spite of being the weakest (technologically speaking) of its bunch. The PS1 eventually beat the stuffing out of the much more powerful N64, etc. Heck, even the original Game Boy and its iterations (GB Pocket, & GB Color, which were essentially teh same tech level of system with a little bit of extra window dressing) had such a deathgrip on the handheld market that they remained pretty much unchallenged through almost a decade and a half of technical innovation until Nintendo themselves dethroned it with the GBA. And along the way it withstood several attempted competitors, almost all of which wore stronger machines (such as the Game Gear).

Honestly, the reason that game selection is the "only reason" a system succeeds or fails is usually because it's the only reason that truly matters. Give people a technically inferior system with superior games in its library and they'll prefer it 9 times out of 10 over a shiny top-of-the-line system in terms of specs that offers nothing interesting or fun to play.

AstralFrost posted...
NathanisDrake posted...
Jprime666 posted...
3DS doesn't incite insecurity.

Exactly. This means YOU, TC.

I'm considering buying a 3DS, where's the insecurity? The only insecurity I see here is raging from people who didn't agree with my views on the 3DS. Many of the more sensible posters agree that the Vita is technically superior but has fewer games.

The insecurity I think people speak of is the tendency for Vita and Sony supporters to trash Nintendo and the DS as a childish or kiddy system/company. In spite of how society has evolved to embrace gaming on a somewhat more mainstream level, it still is pretty much by every definition society imposes on such things, a childish pursuit. So it makes no sense to be so concerned about the image that one's gaming choices project to other people, when the name of the game is having fun.

Today I bought a Wii U and played a ton of Mario on it. Had fun. Right now I actually came onto GFAQs to look up something about Assassin's Creed III, a game which I also find fun. And tomorrow I'll probably pick up my DS and play some Pokemon because it's, you guessed it, fun. Obviously even this has its limits (I'll play the "cutesy" games like Kirby titles, but I don't think I could find interest in something like a Barbie game), but the idea of the so-called "mature" gamer who shuns anything bright and colorful and E rated (except sports games) just seems asinine. You play the games that are fun, regardless of whether they're meant to appeal to all ages or just the so-called "hardcore" gamer (I term that I hate for its twisting of common sense, but this is neither the time nor the place for that debate)

Like CS Lewis said (and someone has as their sig in this thread, though I'm just paraphrasing here): When you grow up, you put away childish things. Chief among them the notion that you need to appear mature and shun what people call "childish" to that end.
---
Ha Ha! Body in a woodchipper...
#76SoeroahPosted 11/19/2012 2:42:15 AM
AstralFrost posted...
Dartpaw86 posted...
-3DS is backwards compatible with DS. And DS has one of the largest current libraries of games period.
-Vita can't play PSP Discs...

Point for 3DS

-3DS you can download retro Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gamegear, Nes, and (Through special promotions) GBA games, and games exclusive to DSi shop as well.
-Vita doesn't have half as many games on it's shop, most of which are already downloadable for the PSP which most of those were originally PS1 games.

Point for 3DS

-3DS has better touch screen features and 3D

Point for 3DS

-Vita is more powerful when it comes to graphics and gaming in general. And you get pretty awesome exclusives like Littlebigplanet Vita, Touch my Katamari, and lots of games that are just portable versions of PS3 games.

Point for Vita

-3DS has more iconic classic franchises.
Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, etc...

-Vita has Playstation franchises, most of which aren't even half as old and thus aren't as nostalgic.

Point for 3DS

Vita is more expensive, why pay more money for a portable handheld when Nintendo is cheaper and most people know Nintendo well enough for years to know they're going to get good stuff.

Point for 3DS

There is that satisfying TC?

Thanks Dartpaw86, I wasn't aware that the backwards compatability of the 3DS wasn't region locked and went back so far. I admit that's a fairly solid point for the 3DS.

I don't necessarily agree that 3D is worth anything but I'll begrudgingly offer that it is *something* that the Vita doesn't have.

Also the 3DS is obviously cheaper but I already mentioned that.

Regarding the games, can someone tell me what games are actually worthwhile? I was honestly looking into buying a 3DS but the region lock and general lack of worthwhile 3DS games (since I don't care particularly for Mario, Zelda) turned me off pretty hard.

Unfortunately, no. That's something only you can accurately decide. Every other person on the planet can think X video game is fantastic, that doesn't mean you'd automatically consider it worthwhile.

The 3DS games just appeal to different people from the Vita games. There's crossover of course. I can happily play a colourful, simple game a five year old might enjoy, then turn around and play a fast-paced shooting game with a confusing plot and realistic graphics. As long as I have fun with a game it's worthwhile to me, regardless of what it looks like on the box.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#77Zeth_CrossPosted 11/19/2012 2:52:03 AM
You're not going to be getting a new Monster Hunter game on your Vita for a while.
Just saying.
---
I don't have an internet connection.
...For my video games.
#78AstralFrost(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:28:14 AM
Dynasty_Vic posted...
AstralFrost posted...
Yeah I'm posting this here instead of the 3DS board because I actually think the 3DS trolls will jump at the opportunity to give a comparison, since they spend so much time talking about the Vita.

Can someone please tell me what exactly a 3DS has going for it, particularly what it does better than a Vita?

This is think of when I think about a 3DS:
- children's games
- region lock
- clunky, square design
- single analog
- low battery life
- two screens with touch
- gimmicky 3D
- backwards compatability with DS... offset by region lock
- Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, none of which I care about
- doesn't come with a charger in some regions... LOL?
- can be bricked by firmware update
- stability issues (eg completely wiped save games on Virtue's Last Reward, and only allows ONE save)
- cheaper than a Vita
- selling considerably better than the Vita

So yeah, I don't understand what it does better than a Vita at all (other than being cheaper). Someone educate me. Someone give me a list of awesome games that make me go "MY GOD I WAS WRONG ALL ALONG!!!!!1111" Because all I see is a cheaper and inferior console that seems to be selling better due to having lots children's games.

I have just realised that this person has no idea what the 3DS is at all and can do...
Even I know more and I don't even have one. O.o

e.g. two touch screens on 3DS, its only one
Childish games, but most games are built for children and what is a defination of a childish game?
Wiped save games... but it runs and saves on a cartridge... You may just delete the game time history I guess... Also its more of the games fault and not the console really...

I didn't say it has two touch screens, I said two screens with touch, implying that it has two screens and touch capability.

Childish games - look at the box art of the top 10 3DS games right now on gamefaqs. Only Virtue's Last Reward and *maybe* Zelda look like they're made for anyone over about 12 years old. Now look at the Vita top 10, only Disgaea 3 is even a contender for a children's game.
Based purely on box art:
8/10 children's games on 3DS
1/10 children's games on Vita

But before you say its a bad example, these are your top games - if they aren't representative then I don't know what is.

Yeah I don't own and aren't aware of all the 3DS games. But thats my question as I have said repeatedly. So go ahead and analyze everything I say and come back with ridiculous answers like "this guy knows nothing about 3DS" because that's what I've been saying all along.

Oh, and Virtue's Last Reward has one save slot on 3DS and can glitch, wiping ALL current data. But you know more about 3DS than me so you already know this.

http://www.destructoid.com/alert-save-corrupting-bug-in-virtue-s-last-reward-on-3ds-237971.phtml

herp derp TC knows nothing about Vita even though he said that in opening post