So people here bash OOT3D for being a remake, yet praise P4G

#101hello_indigoPosted 11/20/2012 2:07:40 PM
Chaos_Missile posted...

While OoT3DS, which primarily has enhanced and retouched graphics, some extra touch screen controls and a few extra features that could be found in the other versions, be considered a "remake"?

Because a total rebuild of models and textures and game engine is considered a remake. And that's what OoT is. It wasn't just "retouched" graphics. They remade all the models with higher polygons. Everything was rebuilt from the ground up to fit with the more modern graphical standards.
#102MegaMettaurPosted 11/20/2012 2:10:13 PM
hello_indigo posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...

While OoT3DS, which primarily has enhanced and retouched graphics, some extra touch screen controls and a few extra features that could be found in the other versions, be considered a "remake"?

Because a total rebuild of models and textures and game engine is considered a remake. And that's what OoT is. It wasn't just "retouched" graphics. They remade all the models with higher polygons. Everything was rebuilt from the ground up to fit with the more modern graphical standards.

They didn't rebuild the engine, and the models weren't rebuilt at all. None of OoT3D is from the "ground up" all they did was take existing content and enhanced it. All of the same glitches from the old N64 game are still present. They made the excuse of "we left them there for the nostalgia factor" when the truth is that they're the same engine.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#103TranslatorTomPosted 11/20/2012 2:24:34 PM
Random Poster A: I hate ports like OoT on the 3DS.

Different Poster B: I love the fact that I can play Persona 4 on the Vita.

CrystalKing: What hypocrites both of you are! You just contradicted yourselves!
---
-Tom
#104NnamzPosted 11/20/2012 2:45:31 PM
tomloadsadosh posted...
PincheCria posted...
tomloadsadosh posted...
PincheCria posted...
Both are enhanced ports with extra content. P4G has more extra however. Now let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

OoT3D isn't a port because it has enhanced graphics, it's a remake.

Enhanced graphics, enhanced port.

"A port is a conversion of a game to a new platform that relies heavily on existing work and assets." this is what P4G is.

New graphical assets have been added, it's not just an upscale. Textures, environments have been redone in many cases. But I'd agree that it's more of a port than a remake.

"Remakes almost always include new graphics, but may also include expanded stories, and altered gameplay, often to conform to the conventions of contemporary games or later titles in the same series in order to make a game marketable to a new audience." this is what OoT3D is.

False.

OoT has a similar graphical facelift to P4G. Story is not expanded (P4G's is), gameplay is unaltered for the most part (aside from motion control parts for some weapons). If P4G is a port, OoT is a port.

Not that it matters. Just pointing out a flaw in your logic. They could both be ports, or both be remakes, but that doesn't change the quality of either game. It just gives fanboys on either side who would have never bought the game on the other side peace of mind that their system gets a bigger point than the other one -_-
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#105MegaMettaurPosted 11/20/2012 3:17:14 PM
If you need an example of what a remake is. look at Twin Snakes on the gamecube, and compare it to the original MGS1.

Look at any of the American releases of Final Fantasy III
Look at the DS version of Final Fantasy 4
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
and Mega Man Powered Up

Those are all remakes, and not ports.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#106KenauePosted 11/20/2012 3:27:13 PM
I loved OOT3D....and I'm loving P4G.
---
The Road to the Superbowl - New England Patriots (6-3), LG - W (37-31) over Buffalo!
#107Krio Lv3Posted 11/20/2012 3:32:33 PM
hello_indigo posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...

Graphics dont make the game, I already own OOT with the same content, why do i need two?

P4 Golden adds stuff to the game and expands on the story.
---
Taylor Lautner - Giving me strength since the New Moon
#108PincheCriaPosted 11/20/2012 3:36:28 PM
Both are enhanced ports and have extra content that the originals didn't have.
#109hello_indigoPosted 11/20/2012 4:14:43 PM
Krio Lv3 posted...
hello_indigo posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...

Graphics dont make the game, I already own OOT with the same content, why do i need two?

P4 Golden adds stuff to the game and expands on the story.

...K? Who here is talking about whether or not graphics makes a game? Hmmm. Oh, no one. We were all talking about how the graphics changed and whether or not it can be called a remake. Your whole post has nothing to do with anything. Go away.
#110hello_indigoPosted 11/20/2012 4:21:25 PM
MegaMettaur posted...

They didn't rebuild the engine, and the models weren't rebuilt at all. None of OoT3D is from the "ground up" all they did was take existing content and enhanced it. All of the same glitches from the old N64 game are still present. They made the excuse of "we left them there for the nostalgia factor" when the truth is that they're the same engine.

Okay I just did a google search. Not sure about the engine, but like I said, the models have been rebuilt with more polygons. We've already settled this earlier in this thread with multiple pictures. Even the people who initially said the models weren't rebuilt finally admitted that they were.

All the models, landscape, and textures have been rebuilt from the ground up. So yes, it is a remake. Even if it's the same engine. Please go look at the comparison pictures from earlier in the threat and you will see. Sighh, I hate when people bump up threads that are already settled and they havent even read through the previous messages yet.