"Free games on PS+ aren't free."

#51CaliaztecPosted 11/24/2012 6:44:50 PM
Was subbed before the Instant Game Collection. Like Nnamz says grasping at the they are not free, and you don't own them is really grasping at straws. If someone is subbing for PS+ for the games that is their perogative but that does not classify this service as a rental service at all.

It's has always been a premium service package since it's Inception a couple years back. They gave out free games before the instant game collection ever came to fruition. I got FFV for PS1 free over a year ago and it has the same warning.

The games are free, they were added onto the service of features already established at no additional price. Meaning every PS+ user got those games for free for signing up as a bonus it was never originally part of PS+. I do hope most of you are just feigning ignorance at the expense of trolling.

It's just like when your Cable provider adds new channels to your plan at no cost. Those are new channels given to you for free because your existing package cost does not increase. Meaning all new content that Sony adds to PS+ is additional free content added to your existing subscription.

The more you know.
---
Playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Vita add me!
PSN: Caliaztec
#52m0derationPosted 11/24/2012 6:49:47 PM(edited)
Ok noone is arguing that PS+ is a bad deal. In fact it's an amazing deal, but it doesn't give you FREE GAMES.....

This is the equivilant of going to a black Friday sale and buying a game at 50% off and saying that I just got $30 bucks for free. You are getting an insane discount on certain games depending on the day and that is the case. But you are paying for the ability to do so. It's no different than a Netflix subscription where you get to watch any of the movies on the library "for free" if you pay the subscription.

You have to be an ACTIVE SUBSCRIBER to own the games that you downloaded "free." Once you aren't paying the subscription anymore you don't own them anymore.
#53Branc00Posted 11/24/2012 6:49:21 PM
DaSituation posted...
Branc00 posted...
DaSituation posted...

Branc00 posted...
Remember guys, Gamefaqs isn't free. You're only renting it as long as you pay your monthly internet fee.

No, you are doing exactly that. Paying to use gamefaqs unless you get free internet access.

It surprises me how basic Economic concepts go over people's heads.

You're paying for internet service. Gamefaqs is a free to access site on the internet. I didn't pay anything to sign up here.

Apparently you don't get it. You pay for access to the internet. Gamefaqs is merely a site on the internet. You don't pay for selective internet access, you pay for all of it. Whatever you use, you obviously paid for the access.

It's like getting a hotel room and going "The room comes with free bathroom access".

Which is stupid.

That analogy doesn't work since while no (decent) hotel will charge for bathroom access, there are sites on the internet that charge for access.
---
I dig my hole, you build a wall.
One day that wall is gonna fall~
#54AhmidaPosted 11/24/2012 6:50:15 PM
EffectAndCause posted...
PS+ costs 50 dollars. I want Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush, I would buy them legitimately. Both games combined cost more than 50 dollars. I got them for free on PS+. Look at that, I just covered the $50 cost I paid for the yearly subscription because I would've spent that money on those two games, so I just got my money back. And now everything else for the entire year comes at no cost.

PS+ = greatest service in gaming history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre
#55NnamzPosted 11/24/2012 6:50:19 PM
y3kman posted...
People are making a big deal about spending around $1 a week to rent full games, get big discounts, freebie avatars and themes, cloud storage for copy-protected saves and scheduled autoupdates?

No. People who troll everything about the this system are now predictably trying spin PS+ into a negative. And the best they can come up with is "It's not free!".

Stay classy.
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9095 - 9402 <-- Inbox me your FC.
#56m0derationPosted 11/24/2012 6:51:59 PM
Branc00 posted...
DaSituation posted...
Branc00 posted...
DaSituation posted...

Branc00 posted...
Remember guys, Gamefaqs isn't free. You're only renting it as long as you pay your monthly internet fee.

No, you are doing exactly that. Paying to use gamefaqs unless you get free internet access.

It surprises me how basic Economic concepts go over people's heads.

You're paying for internet service. Gamefaqs is a free to access site on the internet. I didn't pay anything to sign up here.

Apparently you don't get it. You pay for access to the internet. Gamefaqs is merely a site on the internet. You don't pay for selective internet access, you pay for all of it. Whatever you use, you obviously paid for the access.

It's like getting a hotel room and going "The room comes with free bathroom access".

Which is stupid.

That analogy doesn't work since while no (decent) hotel will charge for bathroom access, there are sites on the internet that charge for access.

Yea it's a stupid analogy. I could easily go to a cafe and still access this website without having ever paid for internet in my life. If you're going to start saying I bought a computer and thus I paid to access gamefaqs you are really pulling a strawman.
#57DemonDog666Posted 11/24/2012 6:52:02 PM
m0deration posted...
Ok noone is arguing that PS+ is a bad deal. In fact it's an amazing deal, but it doesn't give you FREE GAMES.....

This is the equivilant of going to a black Friday sale and buying a game at 50% off and saying that I just got $30 bucks for free. You are getting an insane discount on certain games depending on the day and that is the case. But you are paying for the ability to do so. It's no different than a Netflix subscription where you get to watch any of the movies on the library "for free" if you pay the subscription.

You have to be an ACTIVE SUBSCRIBER to own the games that you downloaded "free." Once you aren't paying the subscription anymore you don't own them anymore.

If the games aren't free how much do you pay for a game to download it?
#58MarkCohenBrosPosted 11/24/2012 6:52:16 PM
Caliaztec posted...
Was subbed before the Instant Game Collection. Like Nnamz says grasping at the they are not free, and you don't own them is really grasping at straws. If someone is subbing for PS+ for the games that is their perogative but that does not classify this service as a rental service at all.

It's has always been a premium service package since it's Inception a couple years back. They gave out free games before the instant game collection ever came to fruition. I got FFV for PS1 free over a year ago and it has the same warning.
The games are free, they were added onto the service of features already established at no additional price. Meaning every PS+ user got those games for free for signing up as a bonus it was never originally part of PS+. I do hope most of you are just feigning ignorance at the expense of trolling.

It's just like when your Cable provider adds new channels to your plan at no cost. Those are new channels given to you for free because your existing package cost does not increase. Meaning all new content that Sony adds to PS+ is additional free content added to your existing subscription.

The more you know.

I understand what you're saying and Nnamz is right, it's an issue over semantics and technicality, but technically, you are now paying less for each channel. It's not free, but of course it feels like it. Most people don't care about how costs are passed down and don't take time to do math on how much things really cost them, that's why I mentioned earlier that "free" is all but a marketing term. The correct way to look at things is with full costs of everything.

Just trying to be technical here.
#59F_WolfPosted 11/24/2012 6:52:48 PM
EffectAndCause posted...
PS+ costs 50 dollars. I want Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush, I would buy them legitimately. Both games combined cost more than 50 dollars. I got them for free on PS+. Look at that, I just covered the $50 cost I paid for the yearly subscription because I would've spent that money on those two games, so I just got my money back. And now everything else for the entire year comes at no cost.

PS+ = greatest service in gaming history.

Infinite dollars isn't 50 dollars.

That's like saying netflix movies are free.
#60Fou LuPosted 11/24/2012 6:53:31 PM
It's a rental service, you're not getting "free games", you're getting unlimited rentals. Yes, once you cancel, you can't play the games anymore. So yeah, go with PS+ and play as many of the games as you want, it's all good (except if you live in Canada where our ISPs stick bandwidth caps on us......).
---
I smolder with generic rage.