"Free games on PS+ aren't free."

#61m0derationPosted 11/24/2012 6:57:01 PM(edited)
DemonDog666 posted...
m0deration posted...
Ok noone is arguing that PS+ is a bad deal. In fact it's an amazing deal, but it doesn't give you FREE GAMES.....

This is the equivilant of going to a black Friday sale and buying a game at 50% off and saying that I just got $30 bucks for free. You are getting an insane discount on certain games depending on the day and that is the case. But you are paying for the ability to do so. It's no different than a Netflix subscription where you get to watch any of the movies on the library "for free" if you pay the subscription.

You have to be an ACTIVE SUBSCRIBER to own the games that you downloaded "free." Once you aren't paying the subscription anymore you don't own them anymore.

If the games aren't free how much do you pay for a game to download it?

How would you download the games "for free" if you didn't pay the $50 dollar subscription?

How about a "buy one get one free" deal. Did you really get the second item free or did you actually just buy both at a discount? At the end of the day you pulled out money from your wallet for both situations. It doesn't matter if you paid $1 dollar or $50 dollars it wasn't free. It's just a really really good deal.

And the biggest reason why it's not free is because you don't keep the games if you cancel your subscription. Even if you played Uncharted: GA until you were literally sick of it and found it worthless to you. While you may have gotten a lot out of your $50 dollar subscription you never owned the game.
#62king_zettaPosted 11/24/2012 6:56:16 PM
m0deration posted...
Ok noone is arguing that PS+ is a bad deal. In fact it's an amazing deal, but it doesn't give you FREE GAMES.....

This is the equivilant of going to a black Friday sale and buying a game at 50% off and saying that I just got $30 bucks for free. You are getting an insane discount on certain games depending on the day and that is the case. But you are paying for the ability to do so. It's no different than a Netflix subscription where you get to watch any of the movies on the library "for free" if you pay the subscription.

Yes it does give free games. This month alone you make $60 profit. Then you have 11 more months of pure gravy. 50 bucks for $120 dollars worth of vita games. Then atleast one 40 dollar game per month for 11 months. After you make the 50 dollars back anything after that is free.
#63NovaCastPosted 11/24/2012 6:56:59 PM
This is just paying to rent the games, you are getting nothing but renting time for your subscription.

Not that is not a good deal, some people just like to beat some games and never touch them again , however you will never keep any of them and you aren't getting anything for free.

You are paying for a subscription to rent games and that's that. Good deal yes..

Maybe for a casual player like me it isn't though i can probably only have 4 games and play them for a whole year , getting anymore beyond that is a waste because i wouldn't be able to invest the time with them.

I usually take my time with my games too ( specially RPGS).
---
#64DemonDog666Posted 11/24/2012 7:00:03 PM(edited)
m0deration posted...
How would you download the games "for free" if you didn't pay the $50 dollar subscription?

How about a "buy one get one free" deal. Did you really get the second item free or did you actually just buy both at a discount? At the end of the day you pulled out money from your wallet for both situations. It doesn't matter if you paid $1 dollar or $50 dollars it wasn't free. It's just a really really good deal.

One month free trial. The games are free if you have a subscription. You don't pay for the games, the buy one get one free deal you can just split the cost, with psn+ games it's not like that, some people won't download them all, some may even download none, yet they could for no cost, and even if you count them all and divide the 50 you're still ignoring the discounts, and the other perks. So yes they are free as long as you have a subscription, which isn't free. Anyway you look at it the games are 0 in the checkout.
#65m0derationPosted 11/24/2012 6:59:27 PM
king_zetta posted...
m0deration posted...

Yes it does give free games. This month alone you make $60 profit. Then you have 11 more months of pure gravy. 50 bucks for $120 dollars worth of vita games. Then atleast one 40 dollar game per month for 11 months. After you make the 50 dollars back anything after that is free.

It's. Not. Free. Because. You. Lost. 50. Dollars.

Free = $0.

$50 = $50.

Using $50 dollars to buy things worth $120 does not mean free. It's a really good deal.

And for the 1millionth time. If you cancel your subscription you don't have any of the "free games" anymore.
#66CaliaztecPosted 11/24/2012 7:01:31 PM
MarkCohenBros posted...
Caliaztec posted...
Was subbed before the Instant Game Collection. Like Nnamz says grasping at the they are not free, and you don't own them is really grasping at straws. If someone is subbing for PS+ for the games that is their perogative but that does not classify this service as a rental service at all.

It's has always been a premium service package since it's Inception a couple years back. They gave out free games before the instant game collection ever came to fruition. I got FFV for PS1 free over a year ago and it has the same warning.
The games are free, they were added onto the service of features already established at no additional price. Meaning every PS+ user got those games for free for signing up as a bonus it was never originally part of PS+. I do hope most of you are just feigning ignorance at the expense of trolling.

It's just like when your Cable provider adds new channels to your plan at no cost. Those are new channels given to you for free because your existing package cost does not increase. Meaning all new content that Sony adds to PS+ is additional free content added to your existing subscription.

The more you know.

I understand what you're saying and Nnamz is right, it's an issue over semantics and technicality, but technically, you are now paying less for each channel. It's not free, but of course it feels like it. Most people don't care about how costs are passed down and don't take time to do math on how much things really cost them, that's why I mentioned earlier that "free" is all but a marketing term. The correct way to look at things is with full costs of everything.

Just trying to be technical here.

That's not correct at all. That's doing as you just said using semantics they are the same thing. If a provider adds content to an already established package at no added cost that content is free. Plain and simple. You may not own it but you are given access to it for free as long as you keep your package current.

You are paying for a service, not an actual product. You are paying for access just like you cable, phone, or any other service. Their are absolutely no difference.
---
Playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Vita add me!
PSN: Caliaztec
#67king_zettaPosted 11/24/2012 7:01:39 PM
m0deration posted...
king_zetta posted...
m0deration posted...

Free = $0.

$50 = $50.

Using $50 dollars to buy things worth $120 does not mean free. It's a really good deal.

And for the 1millionth time. If you cancel your subscription you don't have any of the "free games" anymore.

You didn't even read my post did you? Did my use of the word gravy confuse you?
#68zelda_king3Posted 11/24/2012 7:02:05 PM(edited)
PS+ did not offer the games in the past. Now PS+ has a collection of games that can be obtained for no additional price if you already had PS+ or a new member.

So the games are technically "free". Believe what you want to believe.
---
PSN: Spud_Commando
3DS FC: 4296 - 3935 - 6562
#69CaliaztecPosted 11/24/2012 7:04:06 PM
m0deration posted...
king_zetta posted...
m0deration posted...

Free = $0.

$50 = $50.

And PS+ is not just a free game service the free games are a bonus to subscribers of the premium services that PS+ offers.
---
Playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Vita add me!
PSN: Caliaztec
#70TJSpykePosted 11/24/2012 7:10:36 PM
Those games are not free, you are literally just renting them (as u lose access to them one you end your subscription). I don't like that whole idea, Sony is just lending you the games, not giving them to you.
---
Wii ID code: 4338 5973 3223 4003
AC: CF Tim Spyke 3480-6279-5331