Media Create Week 47 When it comes to pinning blame, pin the tail on the donkeys

#21blunderminePosted 11/28/2012 5:47:15 AM
skyrimer3d posted...
Sometimes people forget the huge price cut 3ds got changes completely how sales are seen. Since the cut $80 from the net income in the 3ds while Vita is still selling at full price, basically Sony is gaining a lot more per vita sold vs 3ds, so this numbers are not a perfect comparison in terms of revenue.

So for comparison sake, at $250 both, lets say the both give $100 benefit. Vita still gets $100 benefit while 3ds gets $20 after the $80 price cut.

190.000 x 20 = 3.800.000

9800 x 100 = 980.000

So in the end, 3ds is only generating about 4 times the revenue for 3ds vs Vita, which is a lot, but unit number comparison is misleading. People need to think that selling a lot is not equal to having huge benefits if you cut your benefits 1/3rd like Nintendo did with the early price cut.

Well seeing as how the 3DS cost ~110 to make at launch, and the Vita cost $160, that's not true. Also the XL version goes for $200, sooo...
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#22NekoakumaPosted 11/28/2012 5:47:19 AM
skyrimer3d posted...
Sometimes people forget the huge price cut 3ds got changes completely how sales are seen. Since the cut $80 from the net income in the 3ds while Vita is still selling at full price, basically Sony is gaining a lot more per vita sold vs 3ds, so this numbers are not a perfect comparison in terms of revenue.

So for comparison sake, at $250 both, lets say the both give $100 benefit. Vita still gets $100 benefit while 3ds gets $20 after the $80 price cut.

190.000 x 20 = 3.800.000

9800 x 100 = 980.000

So in the end, 3ds is only generating about 4 times the revenue for 3ds vs Vita, which is a lot, but unit number comparison is misleading. People need to think that selling a lot is not equal to having huge benefits if you cut your benefits 1/3rd like Nintendo did with the early price cut.

I thought the Vita was selling at a loss, like most of Sony products do at the start.
Whereas the 3DS is still selling for a profit, even after the price drop.

Which would mean by default that the 3DS is earning more for the Vita regardless.
---
Japanese | Assume JPN Region, unless otherwise stated.
#23ChemicalBurritoPosted 11/28/2012 5:49:00 AM
skyrimer3d posted...
People need to think that selling a lot is not equal to having huge benefits if you cut your benefits 1/3rd like Nintendo did with the early price cut.

On the other hand, selling a lot probably is equal to having the huge benefit of creating a large market for developers to make games in. At the end of the day, that's what all this fretting about sales numbers really is about.
---
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Tales of Graces f (PS3) | Just beat: Tales of the Abyss (PS2), DQ4 (DS)
#24blunderminePosted 11/28/2012 5:49:12 AM
PokeMaster posted...
skyrimer3d posted...

190.000 x 20 = 3.800.000

9800 x 100 = 980.000

I thought the Vita was selling at a loss, like most of Sony products do at the start.
Whereas the 3DS is still selling for a profit, even after the price drop.

Which would mean by default that the 3DS is earning more for the Vita regardless.

I'm pretty sure the 3DS was selling at a loss immediately after the price drop, but it has gone into the positive range since then.
---
#25blunderminePosted 11/28/2012 5:50:34 AM
ChemicalBurrito posted...
skyrimer3d posted...
People need to think that selling a lot is not equal to having huge benefits if you cut your benefits 1/3rd like Nintendo did with the early price cut.

On the other hand, selling a lot probably is equal to having the huge benefit of creating a large market for developers to make games in. At the end of the day, that's what all this fretting about sales numbers really is about.

True. There isn't really all that much money to be made in hardware either. Software is money machine.
---
#26AnclationPosted 11/28/2012 5:51:54 AM
Mystery Dungeon did a lot worse than I expected, I wonder if it will at least have great legs like NSMB2.

Vita falling below 10K was very much expected though, with no lasting turnaround in sight.
#27MicroByterPosted 11/28/2012 5:53:49 AM
fourgigman posted...
Shirley everyones got a 3ds by now?!?

Obviously not everyone does yet... and don't call me Shirley!

=p
---
3DS FC 0903-2783-8206 | PSN jhaasl | GameCenter MicroByte
#28protect_badgersPosted 11/28/2012 5:54:45 AM
I am not going to lie anymore. Poor Japan sales made me switch to 3DS. Why?

Nintendo has a huge 'home base' so obviously they will be making 3DS games for a long time and exporting them to the US.

Sony - who the hell knows? Sony will have barely any 3rd party support and their first party support is underwhelming.

Its simple economics at this point ppl.. : (
---
Former Pony, but now its time to switch horses midstream.......Miyamoto knows games are not art - so whats your problem?
#29kyomagiPosted 11/28/2012 6:09:23 AM
Hey, where is lume?

Nintendo Family - 10
Ps Family - 9
---
Magistarkyo - PSN; kyoakuma - 360, 3DS FC - 4339 2637 1918
#30Jon TalbainPosted 11/28/2012 6:14:50 AM
Once the 3DS and Vita are around the same price, it should be interesting to see what happens. If things don't change at all, then there is a really big problem. Hopefully Sony will drop the price in early 2013. There could be a lot of people waiting on that.
---
As long as you believe in yourself, nothing may overcome you.