a thought on buying games before the console...

#1Sigma46Posted 11/30/2012 2:16:55 AM
Just...why? I've seen multiple topics on this. Why buy a game when you plan on getting the console soon when you wouldn't be able to play it and--if any price difference, you'd see a drop in a few months?
#2defunct32Posted 11/30/2012 2:25:16 AM
Some people are afraid if they don't grab a copy fast, especially with niche titles, it may go out of print, some people love to collect physical copies, I'm one of those people.
#3BushidistPosted 11/30/2012 2:30:12 AM
Back when I was a kid and had no job, I used to buy games for a console I didn't have as well. It made me commit to one day actually buy the console, once I had the money since I already bought a game.

Selling the game never once crossed my mind. It was like:

"Okay, you have the game so you have to buy the console now."

And I did eventually buy the console 80% of the time. I used to do this for PC games all the time, when I knew my parents PC couldn't even run it. But I told myself:

"One day I'm going to build a gaming PC."

It's a psychological thing. I believe it's the same thing that drives people to put things on layaway. Think of the game as a down payment.
---
"Don't look at your glass and sigh that it's half empty. Rejoice that it's half full." - Almonte
#4defunct32Posted 11/30/2012 2:33:32 AM
And also, once you've bought all the games you wanted and when you finally have the console, you've ton of titles to play it will keep you occupied!
#5J_Can_ManPosted 11/30/2012 3:08:56 AM
If someone did this with an Atlus game, especially a limited edition copy, then it's very justified. Pretty much all of them stay the same price, and in many instances skyrocket in price.

Also limited and special editions in general tend to be super expensive after even a week.

So of they want these, even prior to getting the system it makes sense. Game systems ALWAYS drop in price, games do not.
---
You have no idea 'bout me...do you?
#6DrDoomPosted 11/30/2012 3:32:44 AM
+1 For every response ITT.
#Scanners
---
Our conductor is insane! Our cargo is pain! Freight Train!!
3DS 3566 2826 6484
#7darkness1018Posted 11/30/2012 3:34:41 AM
defunct32 posted...
And also, once you've bought all the games you wanted and when you finally have the console, you've ton of titles to play it will keep you occupied!

^ This. Ive done this same thing a couple of times.
---
PSN-nightwing2099
Systems Owned- PS3, PSP, PSV, GC, DC, N64, Xbox(original)
#8Spetsnaz420Posted 11/30/2012 3:44:21 AM
I bought MGS4 a solid month before I got my PS3...but I got the collectors edition from a pawn shop for $10 when it was still pretty new...if anything it just motivated me to save hardet
---
Life is far too short to live for the reactions of others. True happiness is found within...try looking there first.
PSN: Spetsnaz420
#9ShagyamPosted 11/30/2012 4:18:10 AM
I've done this because games come with nice preorder/ collectors bundles
---
PSN- Hellz88
GT - Hellz07
#10KinoPosted 11/30/2012 6:38:19 AM
I already have 3 Vita games as of Yesterday, but no system yet and don't plan on getting one this year. Those 3 games are all ports and I only got them for collector purposes. So not in a hurry to play.
---
http://db2012fes.dengeki.com/
http://dengeki.com/20th/