Final Fantasy for a newbie

#1greedling882Posted 12/4/2012 2:33:02 AM
Hi guys, Im planning on starting final fantasy, something I've never played before but heard good things about. The only JRPGs I've had experience with were pokemon, disgaea 3 and more recently persona 4 golden.

Which ff games on psn should I start with? I prefer fast paced combat with minimal grinding if possible and still be able to catch up with the story. Do all the final fantasy games have an interlinked story or are they independent? Do I need to start with ff1?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
#2RyuuHou25Posted 12/4/2012 2:37:24 AM
They're independent unless they're sequels or what not, which most do not have.

Pretty much every FF game requires grinding however, and they're not really known for fast paced combat. They are mostly turn based after all.

If you really want to get started in FF, yes, I would suggest doing the first one first, it's not overly long and gives you a very good idea of how the rest of them work at a basic level.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#3greedling882(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 2:39:05 AM
Ok, thanks. I think I'll get into the first ff after I finish persona 4. :D
#4greedling882(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 2:41:43 AM
Btw, I don't have an issue with turn based combat, just concerned about whether it is repetitive.
#5wartpigXPosted 12/4/2012 2:42:47 AM
each story is stand alone. other than 10 and 13.
7 has a spin off.
from what you said it sounds like 8 is for you. they enemies scale so in theory you will be able to kill final boss at lvl 1.

8 is my most disliked of the psone era. also dont bother with 13. literaly can tie your stick to press up and put a brick on the confirm button. wait a while and watch end credits. i literaly never upgraded equipment or used my level up point and lol stomped game.
---
PSN- WartPigX
Karma is just fun money
#6Whitecat007Posted 12/4/2012 2:43:56 AM
Do not start with 1 cause it's boring, very boring. Buy FF7 and it will hook you to the series.
#7AstralFrostPosted 12/4/2012 2:53:06 AM
OK, some things you need to know about Final Fantasy:
- FF7 is the "popular" one. This is the one that made FF really big and got everyone into it. As a result it gets a lot of hate for being the first mainstream one. It is the first 3D FF and is about a guy with a sword bigger than he could possibly handle. Its a decent game and everyone should play it at least once because of how famous it is.
- FF8 is the one that half the fans hated and half the fans love. Its a bit different than FF 7 and has a main character that might make you rage a bit because he's a pretty surly SOB.
- FF9 is the old school medieval one that is probably the most accessible of the ones available on PSN for Vita. Its fairly simple and light hearted while being easy to play and can have as much or as little tactical complexity as you choose.

As for the others, you'll get some very varied opinions on their worth. Before FF7 they're all pretty retro adventures so if graphics are a concern you might want to pass. If graphics are a major concern start with FF9. If you really want to get into the series don't start with anything before 7.
#8skyrimer3dPosted 12/4/2012 3:02:04 AM
BTW do this games have some kind of quicksave like emulators do or they just use their own saves as usual? Because I'd play them mostly on my phone just for quicksaving
#9LeGeNdArYbRoLiPosted 12/4/2012 3:06:07 AM
AstralFrost posted...
OK, some things you need to know about Final Fantasy:
- FF7 is the "popular" one. This is the one that made FF really big and got everyone into it. As a result it gets a lot of hate for being the first mainstream one. It is the first 3D FF and is about a guy with a sword bigger than he could possibly handle. Its a decent game and everyone should play it at least once because of how famous it is.
- FF8 is the one that half the fans hated and half the fans love. Its a bit different than FF 7 and has a main character that might make you rage a bit because he's a pretty surly SOB.
- FF9 is the old school medieval one that is probably the most accessible of the ones available on PSN for Vita. Its fairly simple and light hearted while being easy to play and can have as much or as little tactical complexity as you choose.

As for the others, you'll get some very varied opinions on their worth. Before FF7 they're all pretty retro adventures so if graphics are a concern you might want to pass. If graphics are a major concern start with FF9. If you really want to get into the series don't start with anything before 7.

FF7 was terrible. Cloud was a lot worse and emo than Squall was. Squall had a more IDGAF attitude.
#10MegaMettaurPosted 12/4/2012 3:34:00 AM
Whitecat007 posted...
Do not start with 1 cause it's boring, very boring. Buy FF7 and it will hook you to the series.

Lol. FF1 is most definitely not boring.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO