Final Fantasy for a newbie

#11AstralFrostPosted 12/4/2012 2:41:31 AM
MegaMettaur posted...
Whitecat007 posted...
Do not start with 1 cause it's boring, very boring. Buy FF7 and it will hook you to the series.

Lol. FF1 is most definitely not boring.

It is very boring for someone who's never played any of them and doesn't know what to expect. It doesn't have graphics, gameplay or story to really hook someone in. I'd be interested to know why you feel it isn't boring because its among the worst in the series by a pretty large margin.
#12Whitecat007Posted 12/4/2012 2:47:41 AM
MegaMettaur posted...
Whitecat007 posted...
Do not start with 1 cause it's boring, very boring. Buy FF7 and it will hook you to the series.

it was to me. I know shocking!!! It has the biggest fanbase out of all of them.
#13FF_FiendPosted 12/4/2012 8:16:36 AM
FF7 is undeniably great. Simple gameplay, but enough room for customization. Very beatable without grinding, but lots of optional content that will have your party destroying everything in its path. Mastering every materia is really addicting.

FFX, though it gets some hate, is also a good newbie entry, I think. It's really accessible and lots of optional content. Blitzball is so much fun - the sphere grid takes some getting used to, but once you do you can make some insane characters.

FF1, 4, and 6 are great. FF2 is fun in its own right, but involves a totally different system of character building. FF3 and FF5 are also very similar in that they share a "job" system - if you're a fan of job systems, go that route.

FF8 is a good game. But it's not a newbie game.
---
Playing: LEGO LOTR, Epic Mickey 2, Pushmo, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale
#14AkagehisaPosted 12/4/2012 8:31:39 AM
Well,,, since most ppl are recomending you the ps1 ones,,,, I would say that for a newbie,, FF8 may be the best one to start, it's difficulty is adecuate for starters, 7 and 9 stories takers forever to get interesting, 8's story is pretty good all the disc 1 and starts changing into different paths on disck 2 - 4. it keeps you entrertained

I'm not saying its the best, I'm talking about its story, it gives you the bigger picture since the beguining.

Every FF has its pros and cons,,, the most cohesive one for me in general, story, pace, gameplay is FF10
#15greedling882(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 8:40:48 AM
Whoa, thanks for the comments and feedback guys.

I think I'll be looking into 7 for my first ff, going by some reviews and comments. But first I'll need to clear that enormous backlog first...
#16AkagehisaPosted 12/4/2012 8:46:13 AM
greedling882 posted...

Which ff games on psn should I start with? I prefer fast paced combat with minimal grinding if possible and still be able to catch up with the story. Do all the final fantasy games have an interlinked story or are they independent? Do I need to start with ff1?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Also,, since you want fast paced combat and minimal grinding, you should check Crisis Core FF7 from psp,,, imagine kindom hearts combat with FF lore,, menues, magics, weapons, monsters etc.

It is the precuel to FF7 (amazing protagonist,, and supporting role characters) the story its pretty good and it has an amazing ending,,, maybe if you like that game you will enjoy 7, 8 and 9 turn based combat
#17arclouks_xPosted 12/4/2012 8:57:56 AM
MegaMettaur posted...
Whitecat007 posted...

It isn't but it's weird playing that after any other ff game it feels way slower

Fastest one Imo is 10, but you should start with 4,5 or 6
---
PS3&PSVITA:JustArc_
-Currently playing:Gravity Rush, Uncharted:GA, FF5, Burnout Paradise, Payday:the heist, lbp2.
#18MyPhantomilePosted 12/4/2012 9:22:39 AM
I'd actually suggest starting with IX. VII is very hit and miss. I strongly dislike the blind praise the game receives when there are better entries in the series. VIII is great, but I do think IX gives you a better overall feel for what the series is like.

My first game was X and I was instantly hooked.
#19Chaos_MissilePosted 12/4/2012 10:23:29 AM
AstralFrost posted...
OK, some things you need to know about Final Fantasy:
- FF7 is the "popular" one. This is the one that made FF really big and got everyone into it. As a result it gets a lot of hate for being the first mainstream one. It is the first 3D FF and is about a guy with a sword bigger than he could possibly handle. Its a decent game and everyone should play it at least once because of how famous it is.

Ironically, FF was already a big name, hence the SEVEN in FFVII; as in it had SIX PREQUEL GAMES to its name.

The only reason why FFVII got big was because it was one of the first RPGS to go into the 3D realm. I vaguely remember being awed primarily by the graphics when I first saw it in '97/'98.

Because of graphics, other people then decided to check it out. IE: baby's first RPG.

FYI, from what I've seen, general consensous believe VI is the superior game.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#20Gidan89Posted 12/4/2012 10:29:22 AM
IX is simply amazing. Go for it!
---
Rally-ho yourself!