Uh Oh, PlayStation Games Failed to Hit the Million Award in Japan

#1squatch22Posted 12/5/2012 4:27:22 AM
http://kotaku.com/5965784/uh-oh-playstation-games-failed-to-hit-the-million-award-in-japan

Sales figures are typically pretty boring! Except for when, they're interesting. And by interesting, I mean telling.

Recently, Sony held the PlayStation Awards in Japan. This is a publicity stunt—and usually a dull one at that—in which Sony gives awards to those domestic studios which sell a certain number of units, such as over a million and between half a million and a million. Platforms include the PSP, the PS Vita, and the PlayStation 3, hence the name of the event.

This year, the sales figures were based on the units sold in Japan between November 1, 2011 and October 31, 2012. In previous years, the numbers were based on a similar time frame. The key difference was both the games and the game-buying audience, which is increasingly being lured away by smartphone games.

The PlayStation Awards have been held every year since 1995. As Mainichi points out, this year was the first in seventeen years that there was not a million-selling game at the PlayStation Awards. That's right, there wasn't a million seller on the PSP, the PS Vita, or the PS3. Meaning big games like Final Fantasy XII-2 and to a lesser extent Resident Evil 6, which was released in early October, didn't hit that magic number. Ouch.

A year to remember for Sony, this ain't.
---
LineTroll posted: Mario Galaxy is just like a Sonic game.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#2xfactorPosted 12/5/2012 6:03:51 AM
oh well, they can give it to nintendo games if they want. Animal crossing 3DS just hit a million easily recently.
---
www.capcom.co.jp/bio6
#3pdizzles125Posted 12/5/2012 6:06:44 AM
People don't come to the Vita board to read some troll's report on how Sony had another "bad year."

So please, do us all a favor and go to the Wii U board.
---
PSASBR * CODBO2 * P4G
#4Megaman OmegaPosted 12/5/2012 6:30:25 AM
pdizzles125 posted...
People don't come to the Vita board to read some troll's report on how Sony had another "bad year."

Speak for yourself. I prefer to see the problem to being a delusional Pony like you.
---
The PS3 is dead in Japan. - Sailor Goon
The Japanese don't like games such as Hot Shots Golf. - Sailor Goon
#5FayeLadyPosted 12/5/2012 6:57:16 AM
That isn't surprising, the PS3 and the PSP (which is the more popular system in Japan) are showing their age and the Vita is yet to take off in in any meaningful way.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#6HungoverHero777Posted 12/5/2012 6:58:26 AM
squatch, you're making us look bad. Please stop.
---
The Great Mighty Poo sings better than JB. Agree: 10 Disagree: 0 PM me for your choice.
Official "Co-Pun-isher" of the C2 board. IlThe AR-C Expert II
#7GenocideHeartPosted 12/5/2012 9:17:50 AM
It's a good thing that this only applies to DOMESTIC studios, right? Because if you count third parties, the million mark has been broken by so many games it's not funny. XD

Those sales figures only tell us that PS3 is primarily 3rd party driven. Nothing new, so kindly go away.
---
**PS3 ID: GenocideHeart - Vita ID: VR-Jaguarandi**
"You forgot to buy Warp Wire, didn't you?" --Nevius
#8JRDeBoPosted 12/5/2012 9:23:01 AM
GenocideHeart posted...
It's a good thing that this only applies to DOMESTIC studios, right? Because if you count third parties, the million mark has been broken by so many games it's not funny. XD

Those sales figures only tell us that PS3 is primarily 3rd party driven. Nothing new, so kindly go away.

Considering they mentioned both FFXIII-2 and RE6, they are including third parties.
---
Oakland Raider fan till I die. Let's just try not suck this year.
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=jrdebo http://raptr.com/jrdebo
#9AceAndJunpeiPosted 12/5/2012 9:23:11 AM
pdizzles125 posted...

As long as it involves Sony and the Vita, the topic is relevant. If you don't like reality and facts take your sour grapes and leave.
---
Now Playing:AC3(360), NSMB U (WiiU), Zero Escape (3DS), Jet Set Radio (Vita)
#10MetalZoicPosted 12/5/2012 9:42:26 AM(edited)
Megaman Omega posted...
pdizzles125 posted...

Speak for yourself. I prefer to see the problem to being a delusional Pony like you.

Same. There is no reason to cry if news doesn't paint Sony in a positive light. This is pretty interesting, much more interesting then the majority of front page topics.

By domestic they mean Japanese based development studios/publishers not just 1st party. So this would mean no 1st or 3rd party Japanese developer had a game that sold over 1 million in Japan for any existing Sony System.

Last year Square, Tecmo, Namco etc... all won awards. None this year.