Media Create Week 48.. I'm busted Yes I'm busted But my heart Won't let me die

#41blunderminePosted 12/5/2012 7:46:09 AM
FayeLady posted...
Butt_Squid posted...
whoa. this is scary.

I check this thread every week for some good Vita news and every week I am disappointed. I just worked out that at this rate it will take the Vita roughly 34 years to match the PSP. That's so depressing when it is such a great system. Sony needs to take an axe to the price of it and chop it in half.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45086703&postcount=53

That isnt really fair tho, few systems matched the PSP. The 360 and PS3 likely will not. The xbox and gamecube did not. So while the Vita is a far cry from successful, the measuring stick of success should not be catching the PSP.

Consoles and portables sell differently though. Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and DS all outsold the PSP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

If you check the handheld list, the PSP's sales are really nothing special
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#42Non_AdoPosted 12/5/2012 7:46:31 AM
So a year in and just over a million sold? I do not believe the Vita will be able to secure itself as the successor of the PSP before Sony has another version ready to replace it.

The 3DS looks impressive, but that is 2 years. I think they too will not be able to catch up to their last system's numbers before they release their next version.
#43gamewhooper181Posted 12/5/2012 7:50:16 AM
OtakuGamera posted...
why is the 3DS doing so monstrously in japan? is it because of monster hunter? i dont get it

Everybody's favorite franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton, Nintendogs, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, etc.) are all on 3DS and all of them are brand new installments and exclusive to the handheld.

Vita's biggest games, for example, have been Persona 4: The Golden and Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - games which can be played on other gaming systems. Even this week, both games released on Vita that charted were ports.

Between the huge difference in support, as well as the pricing difference, it's not so surprising that the 3DS does so well while the Vita doesn't.
---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper
#44FayeLadyPosted 12/5/2012 7:52:32 AM
blundermine posted...
FayeLady posted...
Butt_Squid posted...
whoa. this is scary.

I check this thread every week for some good Vita news and every week I am disappointed. I just worked out that at this rate it will take the Vita roughly 34 years to match the PSP. That's so depressing when it is such a great system. Sony needs to take an axe to the price of it and chop it in half.

That isnt really fair tho, few systems matched the PSP. The 360 and PS3 likely will not. The xbox and gamecube did not. So while the Vita is a far cry from successful, the measuring stick of success should not be catching the PSP.

Consoles and portables sell differently though. Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, and DS all outsold the PSP.

Those were all Nintendo handhelds, and they clearly have a much larger customer base to appeal to. I would assume most of that is generational, as many gamers my age grew up with Nintendo. Playstation on the other hand, is something that makes us think of high school.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#45GhetsisPosted 12/5/2012 8:01:53 AM
squatch22 posted...
09./00. [PSV] Fate/Stay Night -Realta Nua- <ADV> (Kadokawa Shoten) {2012.11.29} (6.300) - 30.583 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] Atelier Totori Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 2 # <RPG> (Gust) {2012.11.29} (6.090) - 27.651 / NEW

TWO Vita games in top 10. Wow.
Still didnt seem to give much of a boost tho.

Well to be fair, both of those games are just ports...I don't think ports push a very large number of systems.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#46blunderminePosted 12/5/2012 8:05:56 AM
FayeLady posted...
blundermine posted...
FayeLady posted...
Butt_Squid posted...
whoa. this is scary.

Those were all Nintendo handhelds, and they clearly have a much larger customer base to appeal to. I would assume most of that is generational, as many gamers my age grew up with Nintendo. Playstation on the other hand, is something that makes us think of high school.

So? The PSP has shown that it can be in the same league as Nintendo portables, so there's really no reason to say that the branding is a factor (and even if it was, there's no reason the Vita couldn't do as well as the PSP). But your original point was that the Vita shouldn't be compared to the PSP because it had done relatively well against some consoles (some of which were Nintendo). Consoles and portables aren't in the same league though. In reality, it did relatively poorly against it's direct competition. The only direct competition it beat were the ones that failed outright.

The PSP absolutely is a fair measuring stick for the Vita because the Vita was meant to surpass the PSP. No company releases a system and says "I know it wont be as good as the last one, but that's fine." The 3DS is also a fair measuring stick for the Vita, it's the Vita's competition, and it's what Sony wanted to beat.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#47P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 12/5/2012 8:19:58 AM
Non_Ado posted...
So a year in and just over a million sold? I do not believe the Vita will be able to secure itself as the successor of the PSP before Sony has another version ready to replace it.

The 3DS looks impressive, but that is 2 years. I think they too will not be able to catch up to their last system's numbers before they release their next version.

The 3DS has been sailing over the DS for some time now. If it can keep it's momentum, the 3DS will easily surpass the PS2, something the DS is struggling to do now because Sony is still selling the thing!
---
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Samurai Warriors 3DS
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#48AnclationPosted 12/5/2012 8:45:44 AM
blundermine posted...
The PSP absolutely is a fair measuring stick for the Vita because the Vita was meant to surpass the PSP. No company releases a system and says "I know it wont be as good as the last one, but that's fine." The 3DS is also a fair measuring stick for the Vita, it's the Vita's competition, and it's what Sony wanted to beat.

I largely agree. Even if you were to argue that the rise of Smartphones and Tablets makes life much more difficult for dedicated handheld gaming systems, there's still a sizable market for such machines. The problem is that Vita's marketshare is much smaller than that of the PSP (which itself got outsold pretty massively by the DS), meaning that you can't just attribute all of its problems to the general struggle of handheld gaming systems.
#49deathpapayaPosted 12/5/2012 8:53:47 AM(edited)
FayeLady posted...
Butt_Squid posted...
whoa. this is scary.

Handhelds have always done much better than consoles since the original gameboy, only exception being the PS2 generation solely because of the monster that was the PS2.

The PSP did eh for a handheld, the Vita is just doing atrocious.

If you're not going to measure the Vita against that what are you to going to measure it against? The game gear? Neogeo pocket? Really?
---
XBL: Genophia PSN: Emophia/Kitikat Steam ID: Emophia
#50BikeaLossPosted 12/5/2012 8:58:32 AM
squatch22 posted...
09./00. [PSV] Fate/Stay Night -Realta Nua- <ADV> (Kadokawa Shoten) {2012.11.29} (6.300) - 30.583 / NEW
10./00. [PSV] Atelier Totori Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 2 # <RPG> (Gust) {2012.11.29} (6.090) - 27.651 / NEW

TWO Vita games in top 10. Wow.

I think It may be like a once in a lifetime experience.