anyone like physical copies of games better than digital?

#21LenneValkiryePosted 12/8/2012 1:20:50 PM
Digital only.
Physical copies are just a waste of resources that could be used for something more helpful than videogames.
#22lxcainxlPosted 12/8/2012 1:29:32 PM
All video games are digital.

Well, except for maybe that one on the oscilloscope.
---
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Signatures are a waste of time and space; that is why I am leaving mine blank.
#23Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/8/2012 1:33:45 PM
Physical. more permanent, and things eventually fall to a reasonable price. 60$ is way too high for most games.
#24CorneliusNeposPosted 12/8/2012 1:35:58 PM
I only get physical copies of games. I'll never purchase a game which is DD only.
#25SquallWindbladePosted 12/8/2012 1:38:46 PM
I prefer physical just because I know I will still have that game in five or six years, and I don't have to worry about licensing or publishing issues that might make my game go away.

That said, I still have a pretty large digital library - I just don't know how I'm going to go about preserving said data in the future.
---
Sorry, this dispenser is entirely out of craps, and we are unable to fulfill your request for two craps. Try again later, thank you.
#26nedrithPosted 12/8/2012 1:50:01 PM
alexg1989 posted...

That is a nice feature but DD will never work for me unless there is guarantee that the sites hosting these games will not go down, and if they do will not affect me like the PSN outage of last year. But that can not be guaranteed.

The best route would be a combination of both physical and digital media. What I mean is Sony and other gaming companies should allow players to buy their carts/discs and then transfer those game files onto a memory card.

That doesn't necessarily have to allow for piracy if Sony secures it. Its entirely possible if basement devs were able to allow that feature on the PSP... All I need to do is buy a PSP UMD game, put it in the PSP... run the transfer plugin and then just wait a few minutes while the PSP transfers the game from the UMD into the memory stick... works perfectly...

I have a ton of PSP games on my 32 gig memory stick, and I also have them as UMDs in a cabinet and if asked, I'll even provide a picture for proof that I'm not pirating them...
I

Except that it does allow piracy. It's why most places won't allow you to rent PC games. Too easy to take it home copy to your computer and install a Crack.. Basically if this was allowed by sony someone could just sign up for gamefly rent various games, copy them to their memory card and return the games then get new ones and repeat.

I prefer physical so I can give them to friends and such to play when I'm done, especially if it's a particularly good game that some might of overlooked. I also prefer a physical copy and some of the special things in the limited editions of great games.

Never been worried about a company dying, Hackers will always fix the problem of not being able to recover the stuff we bought if the company doesn't fix it before they go out of business. Pirates might get a bad rap but they do us a great service in ensuring that old games don't die out when copies are lost or destroyed. Still I'd rather have a physical copy. Especially on the PSV with the price of memory cards.
#27TinyTim123Posted 12/8/2012 1:56:35 PM
I go physical because I go (and have lived) places where Broadband does not exist. No way to get your games if you can't download 'em.
Also, as others have posted, I like being able to share with my brother, and lend or give to friends.
I don't sell my games, so that isn't a factor.
But I am one of those weird people that, when they pay for a good, likes to be able to hold it in their hands and actually see what it is they have paid for. That's why I own something like 1000 CDs, and maybe three dozen songs bought online, mostly for bands that sell a demo track for $1 or something, thus I support the artist, get something early, and get something unlikely t be released otherwise.
That having been said, have purchased a few games on Nintendo's eShop, have rebought games I already own UMD's, and have bought Ragnarok Odyssey both physically and digitally (Mercenary Edition, which my brother immediately nabbed and decided to play, and so I bought a second copy digitally so that we could play ad hoc together).
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#28verycornyPosted 12/8/2012 2:14:49 PM
Physical, just like girlfriend.
---
PSN - verycorny
#29alexg1989Posted 12/8/2012 2:15:30 PM
nedrith posted...
alexg1989 posted...

That is a nice feature but DD will never work for me unless there is guarantee that the sites hosting these games will not go down, and if they do will not affect me like the PSN outage of last year. But that can not be guaranteed.

The best route would be a combination of both physical and digital media. What I mean is Sony and other gaming companies should allow players to buy their carts/discs and then transfer those game files onto a memory card.

That doesn't necessarily have to allow for piracy if Sony secures it. Its entirely possible if basement devs were able to allow that feature on the PSP... All I need to do is buy a PSP UMD game, put it in the PSP... run the transfer plugin and then just wait a few minutes while the PSP transfers the game from the UMD into the memory stick... works perfectly...

I have a ton of PSP games on my 32 gig memory stick, and I also have them as UMDs in a cabinet and if asked, I'll even provide a picture for proof that I'm not pirating them...
I

Except that it does allow piracy. It's why most places won't allow you to rent PC games. Too easy to take it home copy to your computer and install a Crack.. Basically if this was allowed by sony someone could just sign up for gamefly rent various games, copy them to their memory card and return the games then get new ones and repeat.

I prefer physical so I can give them to friends and such to play when I'm done, especially if it's a particularly good game that some might of overlooked. I also prefer a physical copy and some of the special things in the limited editions of great games.

Never been worried about a company dying, Hackers will always fix the problem of not being able to recover the stuff we bought if the company doesn't fix it before they go out of business. Pirates might get a bad rap but they do us a great service in ensuring that old games don't die out when copies are lost or destroyed. Still I'd rather have a physical copy. Especially on the PSV with the price of memory cards.

Yeah which is why I said Sony could implement some security to prevent that.

I don't know, maybe each game that you save to your memory stick will need to be re-confirmed once per week or so.. That feature could be built into the firmware. Say if you can't confirm it will be locked...

I see some potential issues with that idea, say you're on a trip and you don't bring your carts along. Suddenly you need to confirm but you can't, so the games iwll be locked etc

but I'm sure there are better ideas sony could come up with... but I'm convinced that its entirely possible without allowing piracy.

Anyway, that's just what I prefer but it may not be practical for Sony. I enjoyed that feature on the PSP, but if something like that isn't available for the PS Vita, then I am sticking with physical carts.
---
Gamertag: psvitagamer89
Read my blog: http://www.artisticexpression.wordpress.com
#30pokemonmaster0Posted 12/8/2012 2:29:04 PM
Pc is the only thing where I have more digital. Mostly because it's far cheaper with the constant sales which most other platforms lack.
Also have a TB to work with instead of 32GBs.