The Vita cards aren't overpriced

#1SxmfctPosted 12/23/2012 5:00:58 AM
Saying they're overpriced is silly, it's like saying Black Ops 2 is overpriced because compared to a blank Blu-ray, it is.

With normal SD cards what do you get? Nothing but storage
With Vita cards? You get protection, software, peace of mind. The extra costs of producing these cards (yes, it isn't just a standardised system, they developed a new machine to print these cards). So a lot of it is also in R&D.

So next time you claim they're overpriced, think of this thread.
#2darkphiresagePosted 12/23/2012 5:08:02 AM
they are overpriced. i love my vita, but i'm not gonna fool myself into thinking it cost millions in research & development to change the shape of your standard micro sd card a bit. that's just silly.
---
vita board has literally 1 or 2 trolls - GoombaX (he was absolutely serious)
#3Sxmfct(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 5:09:42 AM
So are games overpriced when compared to blank Blu-rays they costs 50x the price?
#4darkphiresagePosted 12/23/2012 5:12:52 AM
are you talking about cards as in memory cards, or the game carts?
---
#5ITPPosted 12/23/2012 5:26:33 AM
I actually agree.

the card prices are comparable to MS Pro Duo and M2 card prices, and the reason these are all more expensive than SD cards are basically that Memory sticks don't have many manufacturers, you basically have Sony and SanDisk, and maybe a few more. specifically on the Vita's cards (which are most likely a revised version of M2 with a specialized security protocol) you only have Sony, meaning no competition, which means they are allowed to charge a higher price to makeup for the R&D costs involved in designing content manager and the security protocols used in it.
#6CrayonmuffinPosted 12/23/2012 5:32:18 AM
32GB vita card=80-100 dollars depending on where you get it.

Same type of card, same size, just not for Vita=about half the price. It's just Sony's move to make more money by jacking up the prices for things that consumers basically must have.

Not really complaining, but they are too much money for their target customer.
#7Sxmfct(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 5:40:25 AM
Crayonmuffin posted...

Same type of card, same size, just not for Vita=about half the price.

25GB PS3 game = 40-50 depending on where you get it.

Same type of disc, same size, just not for PS3 = 1% of the price.

See where this is going?
#8ITPPosted 12/23/2012 5:41:35 AM
PSP native memory cards at 32GB: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=32%20GB%20MS%20Pro%20duo

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Media-PRO-HG-Memory-MSHX32B/dp/B007UIX05W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356269833&sr=8-1&keywords=32+GB+MS+Pro+duo

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Stick-Flash-SDMSPD-032G-A11/dp/B002VAIWA2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356269833&sr=8-6&keywords=32+GB+MS+Pro+duo

PSP non-native memory card (newer format, that can be connected with an adapter): I was about to put examples of M2 memory cards at 32GB, but apparently those don't exist. 16GB M2s are priced from 32-50$

the Vita memory cards are only overpriced if you compare them to a standardized type (MicroSD) in which the competition is extraordinarily fierce and the prices are extraordinarily low, and the quality varies hugely between cards.
#9CrayonmuffinPosted 12/23/2012 5:53:07 AM
Sxmfct posted...
Crayonmuffin posted...

See where this is going?

I understand what you're trying to make a point of, but it's irrelevant. By that logic, a T shirt should be no more than a dollar or two. AAA titles for consoles SHOULD be that low of a price. Consoles themselves SHOULD be much cheaper. That can go into nearly anything sold to consumers.

But there's this thing called profit. And jacking the prices up on things your consumers nearly MUST have to properly operate something you make is a profit strategy. Again, not complaining, it's a smart move for Sony as far as money goes.

Really not too hard to understand. My point is Sony is overcharging people for these cards just because it's for the Vita. Again, same size type of card that isn't for Vita is about 1/3 of the price and works in the exact same way, just not for Vita. It's holding it back. If Sony allowed third party cards to be made, they'd sell more, customers would be happier, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

TL;DR version=Sony holding monopoly on Vita cards to attempt to gain more profit, and in doing so overcharges for them and makes customers angry.
#10darkphiresagePosted 12/23/2012 6:05:24 AM(edited)
Sxmfct posted...
Crayonmuffin posted...

See where this is going?

ps3 discs have full games on them. games that needed developers, writers, animators, traslators, etc. comparing them to prices of blank discs is pretty pointless. vita memory cards, on the other hand, are no different from other memory cards with the exception of size/shape and price. they all have software that saves data. no new abilities, no new tech, no new software, no new functions. they just. save. games. that's it. a pretty simple task we've been doing for decades now.

needing the extra cash to fund content manager is bs as well. all it does is move data from one place to another. the only thing that r&d had to do is disable it's functions when not connected to the net. i don't know jack **** about programming, and i'd still bet money it didn't take more than a few days to develop it, if that.
---