The Vita cards aren't overpriced

#111SuperVegito2487Posted 12/23/2012 3:57:44 PM
Koi_Tenchi posted...
ITP posted...
Unknown_Z28 posted...
ITP wins this topic, hands down. You know why? Because he/she is right. Vita memory cards are NOT SD cards, have no competition in the market and are priced comparibly to ALL memory cards that Sony products use, including MS Pro Duo's and M2 cards. People think that they can buy a cheap SD card for under $20 on Amazon and then feel entitled to have every size card cost the same. Forget R&D, forget security, forget the fact that the Vita is a premium, optional handheld gaming system...just throw all that out the window. If these people can't use their $7.99 64GB SD card on the brand new Vita system, they will complain and grab their torches. Talk about first world problems.

A wild Unknown poster appears!

Unknown poster uses logic!

Flamers are hit for 600 HP

Flamers use "but other products are cheaper!!!"

it's not very effective.

Unknown uses finishing touch.

Flamers are subjected to a horrible death.

Unknown poster won, he gets 1 cookie.

While we're talking logic, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Sony is protecting me.

I didn't quite catch that.

Maybe not you but definately software creators
With the vita cards, and all transfers being done FROM the vita, hacking it that way is as good as impossible, and as for it being more complicated than just moving...

that explains why moving idk 2 gb takes a S******* of time even though on the psp it didnt take that long.

Id expect some en, and decryption taking place..

i cant consider them overpriced due to last time i bought flash memory i got 32 gb 2.0 kingston, same price, as the vita cards, and we aint even close to 100$ not even with my own 1/10 scale and certainly not with sonys 1/8 scale... with sony the most expensive price the vita cards are, is 56 dollars, with my scale its 70... thats 700 DKK and indeed some consider that overpriced, and have seen them at 549 (550 for short) with sonys scale thats 44 dollars, and yes... sd cards and such can be found cheaper.

sony conversion formual for 32 gb sd
23 dollars so i dont consider them expensive but it looks like you guys have it ugly.
---
http://www.xkcd.com/609/ GT SuperVegitoFAN
This is why Chrome isnt as good as people says.
#112Angemon_23Posted 12/23/2012 4:00:45 PM
Why did they have to make the Vita have a different memory card system? or even the PSP for that matter? Why not just use regular SD cards?

Anti piracy measures.

What anti piracy measures? The cards have nothing to do with it, all the anti piracy measures are on the Vita's OS and in content manager, nothing is on the cards at all. The Vita could be using any other type of memory card and the exact same anti piracy measures would still exist

Using a non-proprietary memory card would make it possible to read and write data at will, like with the PSP. Using proprietary hardware and making sure you can't access it without proprietary software makes it harder to access whatever info is stored in it.
---
"Angemon_23 already rocked this topic to its very core, and everyone since is just posting in the ashes." - GradyHoover
#113ironbruPosted 12/23/2012 4:02:35 PM
Though I believe Sony's excuse this time holds up. It's been almost a whole year since the Vita's release and not one person yet has made a hack for it yet. Their is a guy that is trying to hack it and made a homebrew to get all PS# games off the PS3 on it, but we haven't heard from him since. So the mem cards do work to prevent piracy sort of, but give it another year and it'll be hacked.

No they don't, if has nothing to do with the memory cards, it is all to do with the OS and content manager. If it used SD cards the results would still be the same. These Vita memory cards exist for one reason and one reason only, to get as much money from their customers as possible.

The PSP (unintentionally) let users do home brew as soon as it was originally released with no hacking involved at all. The hacking came after this to remove the block Sony put on home brew in the PSP's Firmware / OS. The PSP was basically an unintentional open format when it was first released.

Unlike the PSP the Vita was design with anti piracy / home brew measures in mind which is why it is much harder to hack than the PSP ever was.
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#114lifelackPosted 12/23/2012 4:03:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#115ironbruPosted 12/23/2012 4:13:35 PM(edited)
Why did they have to make the Vita have a different memory card system? or even the PSP for that matter? Why not just use regular SD cards?

Anti piracy measures.

What anti piracy measures? The cards have nothing to do with it, all the anti piracy measures are on the Vita's OS and in content manager, nothing is on the cards at all. The Vita could be using any other type of memory card and the exact same anti piracy measures would still exist

Using a non-proprietary memory card would make it possible to read and write data at will, like with the PSP. Using proprietary hardware and making sure you can't access it without proprietary software makes it harder to access whatever info is stored in it.

Again it has nothing to do with the memory card, it is the software that is limiting access to being able to read and write data at will and not the memory card.

The PSP used what was a proprietary memory card when it was release and it made no difference at all making your argument invalid.

Why do you think there are no readers or adapters available for this memory card? Because if there was you could put stuff onto it without using a Vita or content manager, completely bypassing the anti piracy / home brew measure that are in them.

Anyone who thinks it's because of the memory card really hasn't a clue what they're talking about.
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#116AlxT91Posted 12/23/2012 4:09:20 PM
Someone failed grade-school math.
---
Laptop w/512MB Geforce 9800M GTS~ 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo~ 4GB DDR3 Ram~ WUXGA TFT 17" widescreem(1920x1200) | 360/Ps3/Wii/PSP/DS~ Homebrew FTW
#117Angemon_23Posted 12/23/2012 4:45:37 PM
Again it has nothing to do with the memory card, it is the software that is limiting access to being able to read and write data at will and not the memory card.

And the reason you need to use software to access the card it's because it's a new format and there are no drivers and adapters that allow you to plug it to a PC and use it like, lets say, an M2 card.

The PSP used what was a proprietary memory card when it was release and it made no difference at all making your argument invalid.

Piracy ran rampant on the PSP since the system launched. Other than exploits fixed through OS updates that enabled PSP games to be played, there's no piracy on the Vita (yet). Yeah, no difference at all...

Why do you think there are no readers or adapters available for this memory card? Because if there was you could put stuff onto it without using a Vita or content manager, completely bypassing the anti piracy / home brew measure that are in them.

Hence why a new type of card was used. Whatever kind of anti-piracy measures the card itself might have or not, it provides a limited access to the contents stored on it. You want to copy data to/from it, you need to use software developed by Sony. So why does the Vita uses a new type of card? Anti-piracy measures that couldn't be done with existing cards.

Anyone who thinks it's because of the memory card really hasn't a clue what they're talking about.

Do tell us how this kind of measures would work with existing, non-proprietary memory card formats available so far. You want to argue the Vita memory cards themselves don't have any hardware measures to prevent piracy? I don't know and i don't really care, because that's irrelevant. But if you're going to keep pressing the "it's all in the software" key at least give an example of how CMA could work with an existing non-proprietary memory card format.
---
"Angemon_23 already rocked this topic to its very core, and everyone since is just posting in the ashes." - GradyHoover
#118Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/23/2012 5:12:11 PM
Whatever, Sony's financials are in dire straights and if they don't get their act together we won't have to put up with them in a few generation because they'll no longer exist.
#119EseenuzPosted 12/23/2012 5:31:45 PM
Angemon_23 posted...

And the reason you need to use software to access the card it's because it's a new format and there are no drivers and adapters that allow you to plug it to a PC and use it like, lets say, an M2 card.

Piracy ran rampant on the PSP since the system launched. Other than exploits fixed through OS updates that enabled PSP games to be played, there's no piracy on the Vita (yet). Yeah, no difference at all...

Hence why a new type of card was used. Whatever kind of anti-piracy measures the card itself might have or not, it provides a limited access to the contents stored on it. You want to copy data to/from it, you need to use software developed by Sony. So why does the Vita uses a new type of card? Anti-piracy measures that couldn't be done with existing cards.

Do tell us how this kind of measures would work with existing, non-proprietary memory card formats available so far. You want to argue the Vita memory cards themselves don't have any hardware measures to prevent piracy? I don't know and i don't really care, because that's irrelevant. But if you're going to keep pressing the "it's all in the software" key at least give an example of how CMA could work with an existing non-proprietary memory card format.

Good post reminds me of this for some reason lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPnqhe8MPI
#120MechaNapoleonPosted 12/23/2012 5:44:17 PM
Sxmfct posted...
Saying they're overpriced is silly, it's like saying Black Ops 2 is overpriced because compared to a blank Blu-ray, it is.

With normal SD cards what do you get? Nothing but storage
With Vita cards? You get protection, software, peace of mind. The extra costs of producing these cards (yes, it isn't just a standardised system, they developed a new machine to print these cards). So a lot of it is also in R&D.

So next time you claim they're overpriced, think of this thread.

If anything, you're actually countering your own intended [dumb] argument. Using your ridiculous comparison... only If Blacks Ops 2 came on the memory card would it have the right to be its current higher price, but it since it has NOTHING it should be 1% the price. ("You get protection, software, peace of mind." WHAT IS THIS? Its nigh-blank storage medium! And not even top quality storage at that, that which is still half the price.)

But you're kinda right in that it being a unique proprietary card, the price should be a little higher than the standardized versions. A little. Not 150%. If it truly costs that much more to produce, alot of people at Sony should be fired and blacklisted from ever getting a comparable job.