The Vita cards aren't overpriced

#121ironbruPosted 12/23/2012 5:57:42 PM
And the reason you need to use software to access the card it's because it's a new format and there are no drivers and adapters that allow you to plug it to a PC and use it like, lets say, an M2 card.

Do you really think Sony is going to let other company's make any adapters for the memory card? That would show there are no anti piracy measures on the Vita memory cards. Besides the software doesn't even check if your using the correct type of memory card with the Vita, it only checks that the correct device is connected to it (the Vita in this case) not what memory card is being used. Someone could hack the software to allow other devices to connect to it if they had the knowledge of how to do that.

Piracy ran rampant on the PSP since the system launched. Other than exploits fixed through OS updates that enabled PSP games to be played, there's no piracy on the Vita (yet). Yeah, no difference at all...

Your misunderstanding what I said. What I was saying was that a proprietary card didn't stop home brew and piracy on the PSP because it's OS (software) didn't prevent it either. The PSP could have used SD cards and it still wouldn't have made any difference since the PSP was basically an unintentionally open format the second it was released. The PSP also doesn't need any software to transfer and / copy data too and from it even though it used a format that was at the time propriety. The only reason there is no piracy currently on the Vita is because all software used to transfer data too and from the Vita is only compatible with the Vita, if it allowed devices that aren't a Vita to connect to it I'm 100% certain that it would have piracy on it.

Hence why a new type of card was used. Whatever kind of anti-piracy measures the card itself might have or not, it provides a limited access to the contents stored on it. You want to copy data to/from it, you need to use software developed by Sony. So why does the Vita uses a new type of card? Anti-piracy measures that couldn't be done with existing cards.

Do tell us how this kind of measures would work with existing, non-proprietary memory card formats available so far. You want to argue the Vita memory cards themselves don't have any hardware measures to prevent piracy? I don't know and i don't really care, because that's irrelevant. But if you're going to keep pressing the "it's all in the software" key at least give an example of how CMA could work with an existing non-proprietary memory card format.

They didn't need to make a new format of memory card. They could have made content manager force the user to have a file on the memory card that would only allow access to the memory card if using content manager and / or while it is inserted into a PS Vita if they wanted to transfer and / or copy any data too and from it. Don't agree then you can't transfer and / or copy files too and from the Vita.
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#122WestbrickIIIPosted 12/23/2012 5:59:41 PM
This is such a silly conversation. Yes, the cards are overpriced. Why? Because people aren't enthusiastic about buying them at that price, which negatively impacts system sales. There's a reason the Vita is a colossal failure thus far, and while a lack of software is large part of the equation, intimidating hardware prices is another big one.

You can argue all day that the R&D and technology "justify" the price. But if people don't want to buy something at a given price, then it's overpriced. Period.
---
~Houston Texans: 12-3~
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mco374wAf81rsn1y9o1_500.jpg
#123hotgamerPosted 12/23/2012 6:24:32 PM
The card itself doesn't offer more protection than any SD cards. It's the filesystem that is different and the content manager that offer better protection.

Their filesystem would easily work on a SD card.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#124PHOENIXZEROPosted 12/23/2012 6:24:43 PM
StrikeNinja24 posted...
stargazer64 posted...
PHOENIXZERO posted...
Ahhh! A year later and the same old b****ing. Yes they're overpriced and it's time for everyone to get over it.

This. It was even worse during the psp's first few years so you'd think people would have gotten over it a long time ago.

Attention humans: Sony will find a way to ream you. Get over it.

Then people have to stop complaining when others aren't happy with it. Letting companies think they can get away with anything is horrible for the consumer and the economy as a whole.

It's they made it, they can do whatever they want with it in terms of design, people always have the choice not to buy it. Which is what most people that would be the target audience are doing.
---
Search engines are awesome, you can find the answer to the question that's been asked a hundred times before in a manner of seconds, more people should try it.
#125Devil_wings00Posted 12/23/2012 6:37:04 PM
Sxmfct posted...
Saying they're overpriced is silly, it's like saying Black Ops 2 is overpriced because compared to a blank Blu-ray, it is.

With normal SD cards what do you get? Nothing but storage
With Vita cards? You get protection, software, peace of mind. The extra costs of producing these cards (yes, it isn't just a standardised system, they developed a new machine to print these cards). So a lot of it is also in R&D.

So next time you claim they're overpriced, think of this thread.

Sigh got to love the fan boys who try to defend even the most obvious cash grab attempts. The only two differences between a vita card and any generic MSD card is the shape/firmware. Format it blank and the shape/firmware are the only thing stopping you from using it on something else besides the vita. The memory card thing is just a terrible hold over from the PSP/PS2 era they thought they could still get away with in 2012. Even the ps2 didn't need memory cards, It could have just used usb keys to save game data but in 1999/2000 USB keys weren't in wide use yet. PSP got away with it because MSD hadn't become the go to standard and the PSP cards were just another format among many. In 2012 though MSD is the standard that is used by every cellphone, camera and well even other sony products. Using proprietary cards was nothing but a cash grab to artificially inflate the price of the system. Everyone saw it immediately for what it was and it blemished the system's reputation before it even came out. It was a BAD decision and an INDEFENSIBLE one in 2011/12. Maybe if the prices weren't 2-3x that of MSD cards people would have been ambivalent (at best) but at the current prices it's a reason NOT to buy the console.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#126EnteraiPosted 12/23/2012 6:39:38 PM
dispite it being a nessessary evil this has always been the way companies go, DVD players when they first are released = 400-500 then blu-ray was the same. its just part of the cycle, how do you think the Microshaft Surface users feel when they by that 130.00 attachable keyboard for their tablet because its promoted as a "cliche accessory"
---
PSN ID : LarsonB
Wherever there is light, there will always be a shadow - Shadow Magic Guild, Saga Frontier
#127Angemon_23Posted 12/23/2012 6:52:55 PM
And the reason you need to use software to access the card it's because it's a new format and there are no drivers and adapters that allow you to plug it to a PC and use it like, lets say, an M2 card.

Do you really think Sony is going to let other company's make any adapters for the memory card? That would show there are no anti piracy measures on the Vita memory cards.

I'm certain they won't. Whatever measures the cards may have built-in or not, they were created to be used alongside Sony's proprietary software to prevent unauthorized access to the data stored. Allowing them to be used like any regular flash memory would defeat the whole purpose.

Besides the software doesn't even check if your using the correct type of memory card with the Vita, it only checks that the correct device is connected to it (the Vita in this case) not what memory card is being used. Someone could hack the software to allow other devices to connect to it if they had the knowledge of how to do that.

Wouldn't other devices need to run some version of CMA? All the file transfer operations are initiated on CMA running on the Vita.

Your misunderstanding what I said. What I was saying was that a proprietary card didn't stop home brew and piracy on the PSP because it's OS (software) didn't prevent it either. The PSP could have used SD cards and it still wouldn't have made any difference since the PSP was basically an unintentionally open format the second it was released. The PSP also doesn't need any software to transfer and / copy data too and from it even though it used a format that was at the time propriety. The only reason there is no piracy currently on the Vita is because all software used to transfer data too and from the Vita is only compatible with the Vita, if it allowed devices that aren't a Vita to connect to it I'm 100% certain that it would have piracy on it.

Hence the reason why a new format was created. PSP may have used a proprietary format, but that format was used in cameras since the late 90's. There was no point in creating proprietary software to use alongside the PSP because a) Sony probably never imagined how easy was to pirate the PSP and b) anyone with a camera could bypass whatever software was used. On the Vita, Sony tried to correct what considered that went wrong with the PSP in security terms, including controlling the access to writable media.

They didn't need to make a new format of memory card. They could have made content manager force the user to have a file on the memory card that would only allow access to the memory card if using content manager and / or while it is inserted into a PS Vita if they wanted to transfer and / or copy any data too and from it. Don't agree then you can't transfer and / or copy files too and from the Vita.

Like having a built-in autorun? That would raise more problems that it would fix. What happens when you plug it to an OS not recognized by the file? Or when you format it through a PC/Mac?
---
"Angemon_23 already rocked this topic to its very core, and everyone since is just posting in the ashes." - GradyHoover
#128ironbruPosted 12/23/2012 7:22:12 PM
Wouldn't other devices need to run some version of CMA? All the file transfer operations are initiated on CMA running on the Vita.

I'd imaging from hacking it to work with other devices they would get a good idea of how the program works and make there own version for the device to work with the PC CMA.

Like having a built-in autorun? That would raise more problems that it would fix. What happens when you plug it to an OS not recognized by the file? Or when you format it through a PC/Mac?

If it was me I would make it so it asks you to open CMA whenever you want to format it (or access the memory card at all) and use CMA to format it. That way you always have to use CMA. I'd also make it possible to only access the memory card while it is in a Vita and only with CMA just to make it extra safe from piracy.

They can always patch it / port the program to other OS if needed. They did the same thing with Media Go which if I remember correctly didn't support Mac OS when it was first released, I think CMA was the same also. The file created on the memory card would be updated to support other OS when Sony updates it.
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#129elsmittyPosted 12/23/2012 8:24:22 PM
Crayonmuffin posted...
32GB vita card=80-100 dollars depending on where you get it.

Same type of card, same size, just not for Vita=about half the price. It's just Sony's move to make more money by jacking up the prices for things that consumers basically must have.

Not really complaining, but they are too much money for their target customer.

I've bought a 32 gig class 10 card for about 15 bucks... 15 bucks is way less then half of 80-100 bucks....
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
#130GLDanzegoPosted 12/23/2012 8:31:53 PM
After the train wreck that piracy on the PSP created, I was very happy to see Sony go with a proprietary memory card for the Vita. I'm NOT, however, excited to see them ripping people off as blatantly as they are on them.

It sure is biting Sony in the ass, though, as them doing this certainly isn't helping Vita sales whatsoever.