The Vita cards aren't overpriced

#61XMonkeySniperXPosted 12/23/2012 10:41:29 AM
Ah. Well, I don't import games, so I don't care much for it. I can see how that would be annoying, though.
---
PSN: MasamuneMonkey
"I'm the warrior of love and rage, Black Frost!"
#62ITPPosted 12/23/2012 10:43:54 AM
Koi_Tenchi posted...

While we're talking logic, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Sony is protecting me.

I didn't quite catch that.

Sony is not protecting you, it's protecting the system.

by having a very aggressive DRM that does not allow the memory card's content to be controlled by any outside software (even when connected to PS3 / PC, you still control the content flow via content manager.) sony has effectively sealed the system as tightly as they could to outside software.

the point is that since no outside software is allowed to view the card or modify it, there's nothing for hackers and pirates to reverse-engineer, and even if they did use the PSP section of things to get hombrewed content up and running, they're shut inside a sandboxed area of the firmware, and are limited to the resources available in the PSP emulator.

That's the point of using proprietary cards (and not M2s, which they would've probably used otherwise) and that's the reason for the content manager system.

as a legal user who is against piracy, I can definitely see the advantages of this system in all areas, despite how it might limit me in some places and annoy me in others. I put up with it because I know the alternative is getting a lot less content on the system, because publisher s and developers do not want to invest in places where their content is compromised.
#63kdiz4321Posted 12/23/2012 10:55:30 AM
ITP posted...
as a legal user who is against piracy, I can definitely see the advantages of this system in all areas, despite how it might limit me in some places and annoy me in others. I put up with it because I know the alternative is getting a lot less content on the system, because publisher s and developers do not want to invest in places where their content is compromised.

Here's where you disagree with a lot of people. Sony securing their system is great, but when they do it at the cost of the customer they are screwing us and themselves over. And the dream of having more content is nice but if the vita keeps selling at current numbers you will get even less content then you got with the PSP.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#64Koi_TenchiPosted 12/23/2012 10:56:34 AM
ITP posted...
Koi_Tenchi posted...

While we're talking logic, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Sony is protecting me.

I didn't quite catch that.

Sony is not protecting you, it's protecting the system.

by having a very aggressive DRM that does not allow the memory card's content to be controlled by any outside software (even when connected to PS3 / PC, you still control the content flow via content manager.) sony has effectively sealed the system as tightly as they could to outside software.

the point is that since no outside software is allowed to view the card or modify it, there's nothing for hackers and pirates to reverse-engineer, and even if they did use the PSP section of things to get hombrewed content up and running, they're shut inside a sandboxed area of the firmware, and are limited to the resources available in the PSP emulator.

That's the point of using proprietary cards (and not M2s, which they would've probably used otherwise) and that's the reason for the content manager system.

So, in short, I'm paying a premium just to protect Sony, not so that Sony can protect me?

Yeah, I still feel like I've been price gouged.
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#65Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/23/2012 10:58:32 AM(edited)
They cost at least 2-4x as much as other memory standards of the same size. Overpriced. Period. No argument is valid.

In an effort to combat piracy they've made the system more expensive for people who actually pay for stuff, and I highly doubt they've converted many pirates to legitimate customers.
#66ITPPosted 12/23/2012 11:00:27 AM
You're paying a premium to retroactively fund R&D for a technology that, in the long run, ensures that the console you purchased stays appealing to western developers for longer than its predecessor did.

I'm down with that. especially seeing how I got my 16GB card relatively cheaply when getting a vita back in April, and even more so seeing as the cards are not that differently priced than the predecessor's cards.

besides, I payed 100$ extra to get a 32GB iPhone 4S and not a 16GB one, despite having firsthand knowledge with the type of flash memory they use and knowing full well that the actual difference in manufacture price is about 10-20$, did I balk at that? no. because I knew full well that I was paying for a much better designed product than any of its competitors, that has the best optimized OS and the most diverse app store.
#67kcypher2000Posted 12/23/2012 11:02:58 AM
ITP posted...
You're paying a premium to retroactively fund R&D for a technology that, in the long run, ensures that the console you purchased stays appealing to western developers for longer than its predecessor did.

I'm down with that. especially seeing how I got my 16GB card relatively cheaply when getting a vita back in April, and even more so seeing as the cards are not that differently priced than the predecessor's cards.

besides, I payed 100$ extra to get a 32GB iPhone 4S and not a 16GB one, despite having firsthand knowledge with the type of flash memory they use and knowing full well that the actual difference in manufacture price is about 10-20$, did I balk at that? no. because I knew full well that I was paying for a much better designed product than any of its competitors, that has the best optimized OS and the most diverse app store.

Considering how bad the Vita has been selling and how quickly they have been losing developers i think its safe to say they are paying a premium to fund Sony's debt holders when they liquidate the company.
#68ITPPosted 12/23/2012 11:06:50 AM
Gandalf the Istari posted...
They cost at least 2-4x as much as other memory standards of the same size. Overpriced. Period. No argument is valid.

In an effort to combat piracy they've made the system more expensive for people who actually pay for stuff, and I highly doubt they've converted many pirates to legitimate customers.

Please present 1 competing standard that costs half as much as the Vita cards that is NOT the SD or microSD standard.

what's that? there's no such thing? the other standards are all similarly priced? shocking!
#69Koi_TenchiPosted 12/23/2012 11:07:44 AM
ITP posted...

The PSP came out 7 years ago, and it still seems to be more appealing to developers worldwide than the Vita.

I'll believe that the Vita will catch up and remain relevant for longer once I see it. At the moment, I have no reason to believe anything of the sort and Sony's price gouging with the memory cards just serves to sell less systems and thus make the Vita LESS appealing to all developers worldwide.

Honestly, kudos for at least answering my question though, since prior to this everyone seemed too busy patting each other on the back to even answer a simple question.
---
#70Koi_TenchiPosted 12/23/2012 11:09:37 AM
ITP posted...
Gandalf the Istari posted...

Please present 1 competing standard that costs half as much as the Vita cards that is NOT the SD or microSD standard.

what's that? there's no such thing? the other standards are all similarly priced? shocking!

"Please provide a competing memory standard that costs less than the Vita memory card besides this list of mediums that fit exactly that description."
---