The Vita cards aren't overpriced

#71ITPPosted 12/23/2012 12:10:28 PM
kdiz4321 posted...
ITP posted...
as a legal user who is against piracy, I can definitely see the advantages of this system in all areas, despite how it might limit me in some places and annoy me in others. I put up with it because I know the alternative is getting a lot less content on the system, because publisher s and developers do not want to invest in places where their content is compromised.

Here's where you disagree with a lot of people. Sony securing their system is great, but when they do it at the cost of the customer they are screwing us and themselves over. And the dream of having more content is nice but if the vita keeps selling at current numbers you will get even less content then you got with the PSP.

No one actually knows any numbers aside from the JP ones. if you compare the more popular games' amount of registered trophy players in yourgamercards.net to those of PS3 games, you'll see the difference is not that high.

what does that mean? it means a high attach rate for those games, both for players that sync their trophies and for those that don't, and it means that developing for that Vita is not as bad a business as some here think.

I'm not even mentioning funding assistance from projects like Sony's pub fund and Santa Monica's indie-guidance program.
#72kyncaniPosted 12/23/2012 12:11:13 PM
XMonkeySniperX posted...
Ah. Well, I don't import games, so I don't care much for it. I can see how that would be annoying, though.

Tell me about it, if the DS had been region locked, I would not have played 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors or radiant historia, to cite the last imports from memory.
#73XMonkeySniperXPosted 12/23/2012 12:14:34 PM
Oh good lord that would have been horrible. Those games are absolutely great. Playing through VLR I assume? I've only gotten... Hmm... 3 or 4 of the endings so far.
---
PSN: MasamuneMonkey
"I'm the warrior of love and rage, Black Frost!"
#74Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/23/2012 12:19:31 PM
ITP posted...
Gandalf the Istari posted...
They cost at least 2-4x as much as other memory standards of the same size. Overpriced. Period. No argument is valid.

In an effort to combat piracy they've made the system more expensive for people who actually pay for stuff, and I highly doubt they've converted many pirates to legitimate customers.

Please present 1 competing standard that costs half as much as the Vita cards that is NOT the SD or microSD standard.

what's that? there's no such thing? the other standards are all similarly priced? shocking!

You've just listed some.
#75ironbruPosted 12/23/2012 12:22:29 PM
TC you have no idea what your talking about. All the Vita Memory cards are is a Micro SD / M2 card in a different casing with a slightly different connector on the end of it so it will only work in the Vita. There is no security on the cards at all, all of that is in the Vita's OS and content manager. The only reason why you can't access the memory card any other way is because there are no other adapters or readers available to use them in. They're over priced and to make it worse they are very slow compared to most other types of memory cards, games actually load slower from them than the game carts!
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#76kyncaniPosted 12/23/2012 12:32:21 PM
XMonkeySniperX posted...
Playing through VLR I assume?

Not right now no but I plan to :)
#77ITPPosted 12/23/2012 12:32:34 PM
Koi_Tenchi posted...
ITP posted...
They cost at least 2-4x as much as other memory standards of the same size. Overpriced. Period. No argument is valid.

In an effort to combat piracy they've made the system more expensive for people who actually pay for stuff, and I highly doubt they've converted many pirates to legitimate customers.

Please present 1 competing standard that costs half as much as the Vita cards that is NOT the SD or microSD standard.

what's that? there's no such thing? the other standards are all similarly priced? shocking!

"Please provide a competing memory standard that costs less than the Vita memory card besides this list of mediums that fit exactly that description."

let me re-phrase that so that you will not mistake my meaning:

The SD format (and by extension, the microSD format) suffers (or benefits?) from an overflow of manufacturing companies and brands, including, but not limited to, SanDisk, Hitachi, Toshiba, Kingstone and many others.

as a result of this, there's been a huge inflation in that market over the last 3-4 years, and prices have dropped to ridiculously low price points, that no other format, standardized or proprietary, could hope to compete with.

The other portable memory formats: SSD, CF, XF, MSPD, M2 and some more obscure proprietary ones did not experience this, and as a result their pricing structure remained largely the same, with each technological advancement causing all prices to drop one price point, and the lowest size to dissappear.

this is why a 32GB MSPD costs today in 2012 about half the price of a 1GB MSPD in 2005. and you can expect similar behavior with the Vita's memory tech.

if you can show me any portable format that is NOT the special case of the SD format, in which the pricing is not in line with what Sony is offering, I will be genuinely surprised.
#78CapnStankyPosted 12/23/2012 12:42:40 PM
Of course they're over-priced. You'd have to be a blind fool to not comprehend why.
---
GOTY 2012 Candidates: Sleeping Dogs, Mark of the Ninja, Borderlands 2, Forza Horizon, Halo 4
#79kyncaniPosted 12/23/2012 12:43:33 PM
ITP posted...
Koi_Tenchi posted...
ITP posted...

"Please provide a competing memory standard that costs less than the Vita memory card besides this list of mediums that fit exactly that description."

if you can show me any portable format that is NOT the special case of the SD format, in which the pricing is not in line with what Sony is offering, I will be genuinely surprised.

Excluding SD and SDHC ? USB, compact flash, SSD, basically everything.
#80Koi_TenchiPosted 12/23/2012 12:44:28 PM
ITP posted...
Koi_Tenchi posted...
ITP posted...

let me re-phrase that so that you will not mistake my meaning:

The SD format (and by extension, the microSD format) suffers (or benefits?) from an overflow of manufacturing companies and brands, including, but not limited to, SanDisk, Hitachi, Toshiba, Kingstone and many others.

as a result of this, there's been a huge inflation in that market over the last 3-4 years, and prices have dropped to ridiculously low price points, that no other format, standardized or proprietary, could hope to compete with.

The other portable memory formats: SSD, CF, XF, MSPD, M2 and some more obscure proprietary ones did not experience this, and as a result their pricing structure remained largely the same, with each technological advancement causing all prices to drop one price point, and the lowest size to dissappear.

this is why a 32GB MSPD costs today in 2012 about half the price of a 1GB MSPD in 2005. and you can expect similar behavior with the Vita's memory tech.

You're kind of ignoring the fact that SD cards are likely used in more mainstream devices than every other format you mentioned combined.

If you can show me a format used in even half as many mainstream devices as SD/Micro SD though, please do. Otherwise I don't understand why I should care what all of these companies who are NEITHER the most major format or cheapest format are doing.

I mean, I could create and market my own memory card for $1000 for 32 GB, but if I only sell 10 of them, why would that reflect negatively on SD cards for being cheaper?
---
It's a secret to everybody.