The Vita cards aren't overpriced

#81F_WolfPosted 12/23/2012 11:49:20 AM(edited)
ITP posted...
I actually agree.

the card prices are comparable to MS Pro Duo and M2 card prices

...and here is where the primary problem is. These things only exist outside the standard so Sony can get away with charging whatever they want. They constantly reinvent the wheel so people have nothing to base there prices off of and justify overpriced parts. They do it for everything. I have a Sony TV for instance. It uses standard size 120mm fans for ventilation. The fans that are literally a dollar or two max everywhere on the internet. They have the pin layout reversed though, so you have to buy a "Sony certified" fan part for 110 dollars. They swapped two wires. That is not 108 dollars in R&D. Same goes with their Memory Sticks.
#82lunchEATSyouPosted 12/23/2012 11:48:28 AM
stargazer64 posted...
So how's it working for Sony, TC? Good benefits? Decent medical?

---
"I knew it! It's a zombie! Miss, it's illegal to be a zombie!"
#83ITPPosted 12/23/2012 11:57:28 AM
kyncani posted...
Excluding SD and SDHC ? USB, compact flash, SSD, basically everything.

CF: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=32GB%20CF

ranges from 40 to 140$, depending on the card type, for 32GB.

SSD: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=32GB+SSD&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A32GB+SSD

ranges from 50 to 80$, depending on manufacturer and type for 32GB.

USB: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=32GB+USB&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A32GB+USB

ranges from 20-30$, depending on manufacturer and type for 32GB.

the only which is not in line with the Vita is USB, and that's because there's mass consumerism in that market, as can be seen by looking at that amazon page.

when the MSRP is 80$ or 50$, and the actual price is 20$, you know that there's something terribly wrong with the market.

the Vita's memory market did not yet see retailers begging on all fours for clients to buy the sony memory products by selling them at 1/4 or 1/2.5 of the original MSRP, which is why the USB memory type is so weirdly cheap.

besides, you can't go by MSRPs when quoting Vita products, and go by Amazon for other products, that's not a fair comparison. Vita 32GB amazon price is ~80$, and 16GB is ~47$, when you count sales, I actually got my 16GB for about 35$, which is exactly what I expected to pay for it.
#84DarthVashtiPosted 12/23/2012 12:12:28 PM
Sxmfct posted...
Saying they're overpriced is silly, it's like saying Black Ops 2 is overpriced because compared to a blank Blu-ray, it is.

With normal SD cards what do you get? Nothing but storage
With Vita cards? You get protection, software, peace of mind. The extra costs of producing these cards (yes, it isn't just a standardised system, they developed a new machine to print these cards). So a lot of it is also in R&D.

So next time you claim they're overpriced, think of this thread.

So? That doesn't make it right. I have wanted to buy a Vita for quite some time now but I refuse to let Sony rip me off with their overpriced proprietary cards. When they reduce the price then they will get my business.
#85lifelackPosted 12/23/2012 12:14:56 PM
Must be pretty dense to not understand how cards are overpriced.
If you're happy with it who cares? You're the fools who's paying.
Fact is they will never get my business mostly because of that. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. This is really stupid.
#86ironbruPosted 12/23/2012 12:18:13 PM
the Vita's memory market did not yet see retailers begging on all fours for clients to buy the sony memory products by selling them at 1/4 or 1/2.5 of the original MSRP, which is why the USB memory type is so weirdly cheap.

Of course you won't as your pretty much required / forced to buy one with the Vita whereas for many other electrical items (such as Phones, Tablets, Vita's direct competition etc) you don't. If Sony included some internal memory (16 GB for example) retailers would be doing the same thing for Vita cards.
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#87lifelackPosted 12/23/2012 12:18:38 PM
I've read all of this topic and all it say is:
"we maybe get screw over but they use a 80$ preservative to do so, it's ok and I'm fine with it"
#88CyhortI82Posted 12/23/2012 12:23:52 PM
ITP posted...
I actually agree.

the card prices are comparable to MS Pro Duo and M2 card prices, and the reason these are all more expensive than SD cards are basically that Memory sticks don't have many manufacturers, you basically have Sony and SanDisk, and maybe a few more. specifically on the Vita's cards (which are most likely a revised version of M2 with a specialized security protocol) you only have Sony, meaning no competition, which means they are allowed to charge a higher price to makeup for the R&D costs involved in designing content manager and the security protocols used in it.

.....you do realize you just said that the cards are so expensive because only Sony makes them so they don't need to price them reasonably, right?
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#89LightHawKnightPosted 12/23/2012 12:28:45 PM
Overpriced beyond belief. Costs about 4-5 times as much as the competition, can not be used by anything else, slower than the competition at transferring and reading files. Look at all that crap. That much protection against piracy is pointless. You know why? Pirates will ALWAYS find a way. All this does is piss off people who actually want to buy the system and make them not buy one.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#90bearinbluehousePosted 12/23/2012 12:41:34 PM
I resent the price of the memory cards. I don't actually think the console is overpriced at all, but the memory cards are a joke.

I don't care how much it cost in R&D etc. to bring these things to market - the price is a barrier to entry and it prevents people from, at best, upgrading to a bigger card and, at worst, buying a Vita at all. There's also the matter of perceived value - regardless how much they cost to make, to the average consumer it looks bad and, crucially, every competitor to the device has far cheaper alternatives.

As it stands, I got a 4gb at launch but have since upgraded to a 16gb - and now that's at capacity. I have a game that I paid for at retail, and it needs an update. I don't have enough space on the card to download the update, and so I can't play the game online (the main reason I bought it..yes, that game :P ).

So what are my choices?

- Pay through the nose for a bigger card, at the expense of actually buying new software for the console.
- Delete content that I actually want, just to make space - something I've already had to do too much of, thanks.
- Play games on other devices instead, and let the Vita gather dust.

Sadly, as much as I love the console, that third option is winning out big time for me right now. For a machine built to play games on the go, I shouldn't be being asked to choose between another game for it...or an empty memory card for the same, if not a higher, price.

Sony are chancing for a short term gain on the memory cards, but I think that's been a terrible decision. Even if they have to sell at a slight loss, they are much better off getting consoles and memory into peoples hands - then people will go on to buy more content, games, dlc, try demos they might have ignored otherwise (which could lead to further purchases) etc. etc. etc.

I know that if I had a bigger card I'd have bought at least a couple PSone games, Strangers Wrath, the upcoming EDF2017....just off the top of my head. Instead, I can't even get the latest update for a game I already own. This doesn't make me want to pay for more memory, it makes me not want to use the console.

It's a complete fail on Sony's part, and to pretend it's justified - or even good business - at all, is just naive.
---
Is that fear in your voice, Barbara?