Do Sales matter?

#1Ritster21Posted 1/2/2013 5:03:40 PM
My friend believes that sales mean nothing. They don't dictate the quality of the system.

I agreed with him but I still said sales do mean something.

Console sells well -> positive reinforcement for the 1st part devs and gains the interest of 3rd party devs -> more games released -> higher probability of GOOD games existing in the consoles library -> positive buzz about the console -> even better console sales AND subsequently better software sales -> even more support from developers on all sides -> even more games get released with a better chance of good games... etc.

So hardware sales ARE important to the consumer in the long run. Look at the Sega Saturn, for example. That console sold poorly in North America which eventually lead to fewer games and eventually a slow death.

He said that is all irrelevant. We shouldn't care about sales. Sales mean nothing to us.

What do you guys think?
#2j2zon2591Posted 1/2/2013 5:07:49 PM
Ritster21 posted...
My friend believes that sales mean nothing. They don't dictate the quality of the system.

I agreed with him but I still said sales do mean something.

Console sells well -> positive reinforcement for the 1st part devs and gains the interest of 3rd party devs -> more games released -> higher probability of GOOD games existing in the consoles library -> positive buzz about the console -> even better console sales AND subsequently better software sales -> even more support from developers on all sides -> even more games get released with a better chance of good games... etc.

So hardware sales ARE important to the consumer in the long run. Look at the Sega Saturn, for example. That console sold poorly in North America which eventually lead to fewer games and eventually a slow death.

He said that is all irrelevant. We shouldn't care about sales. Sales mean nothing to us.

What do you guys think?

Irrelevant? Not really. I would have thought the same as you.
#3EvilSock1990Posted 1/2/2013 5:10:55 PM
lack of sales means developers don't want to develop for a system that won't make them money which leads to less sales.

more sales means devs will be more likely to develop for the system which means more sales.
#4syctheweilderPosted 1/2/2013 5:16:41 PM
They do if you want more games.
#5AiuchiFanboiPosted 1/2/2013 5:18:26 PM
Sales are irrelevant. N64 and Gamecube didnt sell worth a crap, but since Nintendo made a big profit off of the consoles being sold and they raked on their software sales through strong first party support, they actually made more profit as a company then Sony, SEGA and MS gameing division combined.

If The VITA fails, its not because of a lack of sales. Its because Sony is run by a bunch of idiots.
---
SEGA DREAMCAST, it only does everything.
BadReligionPunk on XBL/Subseven75 on PSN/ Psikyo till the day I die
#6maxmansupaPosted 1/2/2013 5:39:37 PM
AiuchiFanboi posted...
Sales are irrelevant. N64 and Gamecube didnt sell worth a crap, but since Nintendo made a big profit off of the consoles being sold and they raked on their software sales through strong first party support, they actually made more profit as a company then Sony, SEGA and MS gameing division combined.

If The VITA fails, its not because of a lack of sales. Its because Sony is run by a bunch of idiots.

Untrue, while Nintendo's sales of the N64 and Gamecube were not amazing, they were respectable enough to actually stay at least somewhat relevant during their generations and gain a couple third party games, even near the end of their respective lives.

A more apt comparision would be the N-Gage. gained enough money to make a redesign, but still ultimately failed.
#7Lelouch71Posted 1/2/2013 5:50:10 PM
Yes it does matter. If a system sells like crap it makes third party developers less interested in making a game for it. Without good games, it makes potential new buyers less interested in buying the system.

Basically good games attracts buyers. The more people who buy a system the more likely a developer will take a risk on it.
---
"When you come at the king you best not miss"
#8AiuchiFanboiPosted 1/2/2013 5:50:26 PM
maxmansupa posted...
AiuchiFanboi posted...

Untrue, while Nintendo's sales of the N64 and Gamecube were not amazing, they were respectable enough to actually stay at least somewhat relevant during their generations and gain a couple third party games, even near the end of their respective lives.

A more apt comparision would be the N-Gage. gained enough money to make a redesign, but still ultimately failed.

No. N64 sold like 30 million consoles compared to 100 million Playstations. 3rd party developers left Nintendo in droves as Sony paid em off to release exclusives for the PS1, a tactic that Nintendo used back in the NES days. Despite that Nintendo still won the gen because they actually turned a profit. Sony didnt.

The Gamecube sold 20 million consoles compared to 28 million Xboxes and 150 million PS2's. There was virtually zero 3rd party support for it and most of that 3rd party support was SEGA. Still though. While Sony and MS were selling systems at a huge loss and buying up 3rd party developers left and right Nintendo still made a profit. More profit then the other 2 companies combined.

Sony has enough First party titles to keep the VITA afloat if they want to. Hell, half the reason none of their first party games ever sell that well, outside of GT, is because they have so many of them they all end up competeing against each other.

If the VITA fails its Sonys fault.
---
SEGA DREAMCAST, it only does everything.
BadReligionPunk on XBL/Subseven75 on PSN/ Psikyo till the day I die
#9ThamauturgePosted 1/2/2013 5:54:35 PM
hey actually made more profit as a company then Sony, SEGA and MS gameing division combined. .

Funniest post I've ever seen
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Majora's Mask (again), FFVIII, Vagrant Story (again)
#10elkenPosted 1/2/2013 6:15:41 PM
Who says that quantity is what matters ?

Quality over quantity !!!

McDonald sells more food in 1 week than Olive Garden Restaurant, and Mcdonald is an unhealthy and crappy fast food place, while Olive Garden is a high quality italian food restaurant.

Same thing with games.

Example:
The Wii sold more than the PS3, but the Wii is full of casual and kiddy crappy games while the PS3 is full of good games, with superior HD graphics and gameplay.

~.^
---
Fav Genre: JRPG / Fav Consoles: Sony & Nintendo / Fav Handheld: PSVita