Do Sales matter?

#101Darkyellow327Posted 1/3/2013 6:49:59 PM
Sailor Goon posted...
Darkyellow327 posted...
The Sega Dreamcast says they do.

you obviously dont know the reason for why the Dreamcast failed

You mean the fact that the PS2 totally destroyed any sales the Dreamcast had after the PS2 launch was announced and Sega could not compete with Sony? The Dreamcast was Sega's last gasp after a couple of not-so-great console moves and they needed it to sell to stay in the console game. That's all there is to it. Most underrated console of all-time. It's still amazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

Sega Dreamcast sales: 10.6 million units

Playstation 2 sales: 150+ million units

Nintendo Gamecube sales: 21.74 million units

Xbox sales: 24+ million units
---
Not changing my sig until Soulja Boy challenges me to a rap battle
#102FoBiAPosted 1/3/2013 8:16:40 PM
Don't be naive, of course sales matter. Terrible question.
---
"So who is FoBiA, really?" - CJayC
#103PlayaMadeTxn05Posted 1/3/2013 9:12:34 PM
archedsoul posted...
PlayaMadeTxn05 posted...
@limped er archedsoul

And I now see where your ability to have a constructive conversation stops.

And please, show me where I b****. And by b****, do you mean defend the Vita itself or gaming as a whole? Or attacking the same group of people who attack other people relentlessly?

And while you show me how I post in every single Media Create (lol) b****, why don't you add in everyone else who posts with the exact same type of comments.

I'll wait.

You do that. It's obvious the person that's b****ing and whining won't realize what he's doing, especially on the Vita boards for very obvious reasons, come on, that much is common sense. No need to try and play the victim here like always.

Perhaps if I gave a ****, I'd waste my time showing you, but even that is not necessary since your reputation speaks for itself.

lol Thought so.
---
"You still play SNES & Genesis games? Yeah, they are terrible by today's standard. Graphics sells .. like it or not." - nariusseldon
#104DalekZeroPosted 1/3/2013 9:26:08 PM
Something about the dream sat that people need to realize...it sold about 10.6 million consoles from 1998 (Japan release) to 2001 (earliest discontinue date) a 3 year period period, in which the ps2 was released, stirring the market and causing everyone to lose interest in the dream cast. And again, it was a regular tv console in an era where an iPhone was a crazy fantasy.

The vita is a handheld console that was LAUNCHED a competitive market which has sold about 4 million consoles in the 1 year it's been out (counting Japan for 1 year point). We can't compare the dream cast and the vita because the environment is too different. You can point to sales and claim that they are on a similar path, but honestly, pure sales numbers are not the only factor.

Am I saying I think the vita is ever going to have great sales? No! I'm not. But as far as discontinuing the system goes...I don't see that happening. At least not for the reason people seem to think it would be.
---
always assume everybody on the Internet is either a 12 year old, or a creeper in his mid 40's. The Internet makes more sense that way.
#105DalekZeroPosted 1/3/2013 9:27:17 PM
Dreamcast* not dream sat
---
always assume everybody on the Internet is either a 12 year old, or a creeper in his mid 40's. The Internet makes more sense that way.
#106DunGoofdPosted 1/3/2013 9:46:23 PM
PlayaMadeTxn05 posted...
archedsoul posted...
PlayaMadeTxn05 posted...
@limped er archedsoul

And I now see where your ability to have a constructive conversation stops.

And please, show me where I b****. And by b****, do you mean defend the Vita itself or gaming as a whole? Or attacking the same group of people who attack other people relentlessly?

And while you show me how I post in every single Media Create (lol) b****, why don't you add in everyone else who posts with the exact same type of comments.

I'll wait.

You do that. It's obvious the person that's b****ing and whining won't realize what he's doing, especially on the Vita boards for very obvious reasons, come on, that much is common sense. No need to try and play the victim here like always.

Perhaps if I gave a ****, I'd waste my time showing you, but even that is not necessary since your reputation speaks for itself.

lol Thought so.

We don't have to look further than the topic under this, for example

PlayaMadeTxn05 posted...
Again, as I stated before, trolling is trolling. It doesn't matter what system you have. I mean, do I really have to spell it out? I never said he didn't own any of the systems. But the way he constantly talks about Sony and Vita, that would give someone reason to believe he has an issue with both things.

And Mega, I can't believe we got to you enough for you to go on a two-post rant lmao. I see you really care for Ace. That's very sweet of you. And again, how did I lie when I said along the lines of? Because if I wouldn't have actually wrote that, he would've responded one of those ways. And to prove it, he deflected completely to the "prove I've said that before" defense.

Be upset at me all you want, but the way yall post says it all lol

Again, crying like in every topic because people attacked his precious Sony. Trying to defend their honor and ****, lmfao. Also funny he uses the ""prove I've said that before" defense" in this topic and attacks someone else for doing the same in another.

lmfao
#107KirbyIsAwesomePosted 1/3/2013 9:46:35 PM
Natureboy99 posted...
kyncani posted...
Starwars4J posted...
kyncani posted...
I have a DS and a Wii and I can tell you that sales don't matter.
The Wii especially is a useless piece of plastic.

The DS has the highest rated library in gaming history, trying to insult that just makes you look bad

Calm down Starwars4J. The DS had good games but I certainly did not enjoy it because it sold well.

Also, its the DS. Ratings scale to the platform, and as a platform ds was weak. A 10 on ds is a 7-8 on psp. Dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed my ds. But it comes in 5th place for me behind GB, GBA, PSP, and Vita.

Using this brilliant logic, a 10 on the PS1 is only a 7 or maybe 8 tops on the N64. Likewise, a 10 on the PS2 is only about a 7 on the GCN or Xbox. See, the PS1 and PS2 actually had bad libraries and the N64, GCN, and Xbox were superior. It's just that they were rated more harshly due to a bias for Sony and being more powerful. The only place where Sony won was in sales which don't matter and don't equal quality as evident by the Wii.
---
"3DS is simply incapable of making games as good as vita games"
- DemonDog666
#108kdiz4321Posted 1/3/2013 10:22:53 PM
DalekZero posted...
Something about the dream sat that people need to realize...it sold about 10.6 million consoles from 1998 (Japan release) to 2001 (earliest discontinue date) a 3 year period period, in which the ps2 was released, stirring the market and causing everyone to lose interest in the dream cast. And again, it was a regular tv console in an era where an iPhone was a crazy fantasy.

The vita is a handheld console that was LAUNCHED a competitive market which has sold about 4 million consoles in the 1 year it's been out (counting Japan for 1 year point). We can't compare the dream cast and the vita because the environment is too different. You can point to sales and claim that they are on a similar path, but honestly, pure sales numbers are not the only factor.

Am I saying I think the vita is ever going to have great sales? No! I'm not. But as far as discontinuing the system goes...I don't see that happening. At least not for the reason people seem to think it would be.

That makes some since, except that I've seen the week to week sales for each system. The graph I saw showed the dreamcast having poor initial sales but with a steady increase of ~25k per week. The same graph showed the vita with strong initial sales but with sales of only ~10k per week. So really the vita is selling a lot worse than the dreamcast did but a lot of people jumped on it at launch.

Of course those were only Japanese numbers so there might be differences in the numbers for other regions.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#109DalekZeroPosted 1/3/2013 10:46:08 PM
kdiz4321 posted...
DalekZero posted...

That makes some since, except that I've seen the week to week sales for each system. The graph I saw showed the dreamcast having poor initial sales but with a steady increase of ~25k per week. The same graph showed the vita with strong initial sales but with sales of only ~10k per week. So really the vita is selling a lot worse than the dreamcast did but a lot of people jumped on it at launch.

Of course those were only Japanese numbers so there might be differences in the numbers for other regions.

To your first point, the vita isn't actually doing that badly in North America, unlike Japan, the numbers were a lot closer for 3ds and vita, as it was only a 3:1 ratio.

Anyway, I'm just saying that people have got to stop predicting the demise of consoles based off of sales numbers. Your point actually helps me in this. If dreamcast sales were increasing as you say they are, then 13 years ago if gamefaqs existed, we would be saying how wise of an investment the dreamcast would be. We wouldn't have been able to predict what kind of an impact the ps2 would have, or that the system would be discontinued. And similarly, we should not make assumptions about the vita. Now before someone quotes me and goes all "YAH, BUT BAD SALEZ MEANS DISCONTINUED, LOLZ", its only been a year. It's not going to get discontinued, it would hurt Sony more to NOT support it if only for the negative press they would get.
---
#110DalekZeroPosted 1/3/2013 10:49:42 PM
Ah, I forgot to say, the 3ds, vita thing was last weeks sales data. Not over their lifetime.
---