Do Sales matter?

#21AiuchiFanboiPosted 1/2/2013 6:20:32 PM
Starwars4J posted...
You compared the N64 to the XBOX why exactly?

AiuchiFanboi posted...
Sony didnt break even on thier forray into the videogame industry until this generation.

Sony had made quite a bit of money and lost of all this past generation. The PS3 was a financial disaster for Sony, losing them all profits of the PS1 and PS2 combined.

I compared them to make a point. That point was that both the N64 and the NGC got outsold 12-1 by the competition(just like the VITA), yet because of Nintendos policy of using off the shelf hardware that turns a profit and a strong first party support structure, both systems were monster big successes at Nintendo making the company lots and lots of profit. Likewise VITA is profitable for Sony, but without 3rd party support it is still possible to make the VITA a success with Sony's strong first Party lineup.

AND

Sony never made one single profit from PSX. They sold the systems at a loss, and paid hundreds of millions to shore up 3rd party exclusives like FF, SH, MGS, RE, ect. Same went for the PS2. They sold at a loss for a great part of the generation. It wasnt until this generation that they actually broke even and returned a little profit from both the PSX and the PS2.
---
SEGA DREAMCAST, it only does everything.
BadReligionPunk on XBL/Subseven75 on PSN/ Psikyo till the day I die
#22Starwars4JPosted 1/2/2013 6:22:43 PM
AiuchiFanboi posted...
Sony never made one single profit from PSX. They sold the systems at a loss, and paid hundreds of millions to shore up 3rd party exclusives like FF, SH, MGS, RE, ect. Same went for the PS2. They sold at a loss for a great part of the generation. It wasnt until this generation that they actually broke even and returned a little profit from both the PSX and the PS2.

No. There was nothing profitable about this generation for Sony. They lost everything they had made in their entire gaming history, and then some. The PS1 and PS2 were profitable, just not as profitable as the N64 and GCN
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#23AceAndJunpeiPosted 1/2/2013 6:26:06 PM
LMFAO @ Olive Garden being a "high-quality Italian food restaurant"!

Funniest/saddest thing I've read in months! And anyone who argues that it's high quality needs to eat some real Italian food.
---
Now Playing:Persona 4 Golden (Vita), NSMB U (WiiU), Zero Escape (3DS), Wipeout 2048 (Vita) Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy Run (PS3)
#24serenade_betaPosted 1/2/2013 6:32:03 PM
AiuchiFanboi posted...
Likewise VITA is profitable for Sony, but without 3rd party support it is still possible to make the VITA a success with Sony's strong first Party lineup.

It COULD be profitable for Sony. It COULD be a success.
But so far, it isn't. Why?
Because Sony doesn't care themselves.
---
Tried to start a blog... --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/
Plans: Thoughts on Pokemon (Competitive, Random), Kid Icarus (Weapons)
#25AiuchiFanboiPosted 1/2/2013 6:35:03 PM
Starwars4J posted...
AiuchiFanboi posted...

No. There was nothing profitable about this generation for Sony. They lost everything they had made in their entire gaming history, and then some. The PS1 and PS2 were profitable, just not as profitable as the N64 and GCN

Well Im not going to argue with you about Sonys finances. There was an article in forbes a couple years ago with details about the PSX and the PS2. PSX was a loss for the entire generation. PS2 was profitable towards the end, but the profits never exeeded the complete loss of the PSX + the R&D + marketing + lawsuits ect.

The whole point is summed up in your last sentance. "Just not as profitable as the N64 and GCN". Neither systems had crap for 3rd party support. I know. I bought both systems at launch and outside of maybe 20 games there was nothing there to interest me.

Anyway, I think to a point you agree with me. VITA should and can be a successful money making console for Sony if they keep investing into it.
---
#26FKRW4LifePosted 1/2/2013 6:40:23 PM(edited)
Sales are most important to insecure people who believe the rise and fall of video game companies/consoles actually affect their personal lives. Kinda like sports team fans who actually believe that the failures or the success of their favorite team is somehow linked to them drinking beer and eating hamburgers while shouting at their tv.

Hope this helps!
---
Vita Flopic creators = schadenfreude
Legit discussion on sales = intelligent debate
#27AiuchiFanboiPosted 1/2/2013 6:38:34 PM
serenade_beta posted...
AiuchiFanboi posted...
Likewise VITA is profitable for Sony, but without 3rd party support it is still possible to make the VITA a success with Sony's strong first Party lineup.

It COULD be profitable for Sony. It COULD be a success.
But so far, it isn't. Why?
Because Sony doesn't care themselves.

yea well Sony is the new SEGA. At least sometimes it seems this way with how they run thier company.
---
#28MegamanspetPosted 1/2/2013 6:41:45 PM
Sales matter to the company. Sales matter to the people who buy it cause it is a popular product aka fad purchase.

Sales do not matter to the true customer: Those who buy for the joy and experience obtained such as from the games of three different generations.

From a psychological point: Sales can help sooth the mind who worry they wasted their money without more content to come due to the handheld project being abandoned.
---
I wish you well and so I take my leave,
I Pray you know me when we meet again.
#29FKRW4LifePosted 1/2/2013 6:47:00 PM
Megamanspet posted...
Sales matter to the company. Sales matter to the people who buy it cause it is a popular product aka fad purchase.

Sales do not matter to the true customer: Those who buy for the joy and experience obtained such as from the games of three different generations.

From a psychological point: Sales can help sooth the mind who worry they wasted their money without more content to come due to the handheld project being abandoned.

I really like this comment. While the system could be shelved tomorrow, the only regret Id have is that we didnt get A: Secret of Mana port and B: a wrestling game. Besides those two games I would not care one iota about the system going under. The PSP, PSOne, and Vita games I have will last me for at least a decade and by then my wife and I will probably be well into having a family.

At the same time Id probably sock someone in the face for actually bragging about the Vita going under like it is a good thing or that they helped contribute to the demise of peoples livelihood. Supposing Id be fortunate enough to meet a few of the trolls on this board in real life that is.... Why? I just hate idiots, thats all. :D
---
Vita Flopic creators = schadenfreude
Legit discussion on sales = intelligent debate
#30kyncaniPosted 1/2/2013 6:52:34 PM
Starwars4J posted...
kyncani posted...
I have a DS and a Wii and I can tell you that sales don't matter.
The Wii especially is a useless piece of plastic.

The DS has the highest rated library in gaming history, trying to insult that just makes you look bad

Calm down Starwars4J. The DS had good games but I certainly did not enjoy it because it sold well.