Do Sales matter?

#41Devil_wings00Posted 1/2/2013 8:15:01 PM
I mean it doesn't mean a system can't have great games but if it doesn't sell guess what? You won't see anymore games and if the console can't sell games then kiss it's development good buy. Sadly in the REAL world money is all that matters. It's the end all be all of everything. A console doesn't make money it goes away and if a game doesn't make money it doesn't get a sequel or even worse the entire development studio goes under.

So yes sales are everything because without them games will no longer be profitable and gaming goes bye bye.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#42JobocanPosted 1/2/2013 8:19:52 PM
Sailor Goon posted...
Your friend is right. Sales mean absolutely nothing to us. They matter to the developers and publishers. Sales dont change my enjoyment of games.

I know that replying seriously to Sailor Goon is the equivalent of of trying to make a brick wall orgasm, but here goes...

Here's how it works:
A third-party dev wants to make a game. They look around at currently available systems and look at 3 things: the systems' capabilities, the audience and, perhaps most importantly, how well similar games sold on the platform (if any exist).

A third-party looking at the Vita will see that the system isn't selling too well yet (they might bet on potential future sales, but that's quite a gamble since by then their game might be in the used shelves or bargain bins at that point) and that it doesn't have a single million seller (which means it's unlikely that games similar to theirs sold well at all). Sure, the system itself is freaking amazing and they can basically do whatever they want with it in regards to games due to the great hardware and controls, but they're almost sure to get a bigger audience on any other current console and whatever they can do on the Vita they can also do on anything else, including the 3DS (with obviously a slight graphical downgrade).
Yes, there are reasons to want to make a game on the Vita (for example, twin analogs can offer better control than the single analog on the 3DS), but to most devs a low-selling system that doesn't have a single high-selling game is not really attractive.

So, other than weird circumstances like the Wii, more sales means more games. Which means that sales DO matter to us. People who think sales don't matter need to stop and think for a second. In fact, all the Vita fanboys who say they don't matter NOW, will start bragging like crazy once the Vita starts selling adequately.

For me personally? I don't care because I have all the systems... so whatever, any game I want I can get it no matter what it comes out for... but for people who may just have only one current console it definitely matters.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#43vanguard29Posted 1/2/2013 8:20:07 PM
syctheweilder posted...
They do if you want more games.

can i get an /thread?
---
"Even If the morrow is barren of promises / Nothing shall forestall my return"
#44supercaculoPosted 1/2/2013 8:20:49 PM
fourgigman posted...
supercaculo posted...
TC invent a product. Then take a loan for 100,000.00. Then invest all in your product. then you can tell if sales matter or not. simple as that.

Yes sales matter to the company.

Why they matter to the company?
---
circle circle square circle = you are dead.
#45fourgigmanPosted 1/2/2013 8:23:28 PM
supercaculo posted...
fourgigman posted...
supercaculo posted...
TC invent a product. Then take a loan for 100,000.00. Then invest all in your product. then you can tell if sales matter or not. simple as that.

Aaaaaaahh.
---
Contender Eliminated.
#46supercaculoPosted 1/2/2013 8:32:45 PM
fourgigman posted...
supercaculo posted...
fourgigman posted...
supercaculo posted...

Aaaaaaahh.

You see if that's how you shutdown reality then it's pointless having a conversation with you. Keep your head in your bubble.
---
circle circle square circle = you are dead.
#47fourgigmanPosted 1/2/2013 8:37:27 PM
supercaculo posted...
fourgigman posted...
supercaculo posted...
fourgigman posted...
supercaculo posted...

Aaaaaaahh.

You see if that's how you shutdown reality then it's pointless having a conversation with you. Keep your head in your bubble.

But you already know the answer, its in your first post!
---
Contender Eliminated.
#48archedsoulPosted 1/2/2013 9:14:47 PM
FKRW4Life posted...
archedsoul posted...
FKRW4Life posted...
Sales are most important to insecure people who believe the rise and fall of video game companies/consoles actually affect their personal lives. Kinda like sports team fans who actually believe that the failures or the success of their favorite team is somehow linked to them drinking beer and eating hamburgers while shouting at their tv.

Hope this helps!

The butthurt is strong in this post.

You can always tell when you strike a nerve with someone insecure. Bravo for your post :D

>goes around constantly b****ing and having meltdowns whenever people talk negatively about the Vita
>calls me insecure

http://i.imgur.com/jFACw.jpg

You need to stop getting so butthurt.
#49MarkCohenBrosPosted 1/2/2013 9:19:13 PM
FKRW4Life posted...
archedsoul posted...
FKRW4Life posted...
Sales are most important to insecure people who believe the rise and fall of video game companies/consoles actually affect their personal lives. Kinda like sports team fans who actually believe that the failures or the success of their favorite team is somehow linked to them drinking beer and eating hamburgers while shouting at their tv.

Hope this helps!

The butthurt is strong in this post.

You can always tell when you strike a nerve with someone insecure. Bravo for your post :D

Indeed, and you can tell with all your posts. You make it so easy.
#50LemonKweenstaaaPosted 1/2/2013 9:39:04 PM
Natureboy99 posted...
Ratings scale to the platform

You say it so confidently as if it has any ounce of truth to it.

A 10 on ds is a 7-8 on psp.

Using this logic, any DS game that was reviewed to be flawless (which covers ANY standard) would only be "good" on PSP.

And in the case of multiplats, the DS version would always, 100% of the time, be superior.

Herpaderpaderp.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
the PSP isn't a Sony console ~LuminescentRule