Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

#1S1nharvestPosted 1/3/2013 8:27:53 AM
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2013/0007892.html

According to the present embodiment, realized is the electronic content processing system that reliably restricts the use of electronic content dealt in the second-hand markets. As a result, the dealing of electronic content in the second-hand markets is suppressed, which in turn supports the redistribution of part of proceeds from sales of the electronic content to the developers. Though in the following description a game application (AP) is exemplified as the electronic content, the present embodiment is similarly applicable to various kinds of electronic content such as an office suite, images, and music content

By employing the game playing system 1000 according to the present embodiment, the use permission tag 220 together with the game disk 210 is supplied to the user, and the use permission tag 220 actively determines the use permit/rejection of electronic content. Thereby, the use of game AP stored in the game disk 210 can be restricted as appropriate according to the attribute of a reproduction device. Consider, for example, a case where used is a game package 200 distributed in the second-hand market. Then the ID of reproduction device for the game disk 210 differs from the legitimate use device ID stored in the use permission tag 220, so that the game disk can be reproduced in a mode which is predetermined for those bought and sold in the second-hand market. Also, for example, a content key may be supplied to the reproduction device 130 and the encrypted game AP may be decrypted using the content key only if the reproduction device ID matches a legitimate use device ID. Hence, use of game APs bought and sold in the second-hand market can be eliminated

They should research how to get first-hand game sales before doing this.
---
All Hail King Ghidorah, the Monster Zero
GT: KingxGeedorah - Psn: Sin_Ghidorah - http://i.imgur.com/k4Mc2.png
#2EvilSock1990Posted 1/3/2013 8:30:35 AM
just die already sony
#3stargazer64Posted 1/3/2013 8:31:19 AM
"They should research how to get first-hand game sales before doing this."

LOL

And Sony has been trying to kill used game sales for a long time now. This is not surprising. We'll see how long it takes for them to actually accomplish this without pissing off most of their remaining fanbase.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#4Lord_VishanaPosted 1/3/2013 8:35:54 AM
Sony is going to completely cannibalize themselves by doing this, much like the GOP. I won't miss either, but I'll be upset if the Vita is a casualty. :-(
---
Official Wood Elf Druid of the NDF and KDF Balthier Basched his Penelo into Fran's Ashe in the back of the Vaan
#5Megaman OmegaPosted 1/3/2013 8:39:44 AM(edited)
A "Use permission tag"? Yeah, now you need your game's permission when you want to play it. LOL! This is just ridiculous. Remember when you could just take a game, put it in your system and play it? Now, you got the game on the disk, saves on some memory card, updates and installations on the hard drive, online pass here, extra data there,... and when the server gets taken down two years later, half the game doesn't work anymore. But that's not enough! No, we need Use Permission Tags! Make it as complicated and full of DRM as possible! I'm sure the consumers will love it!
---
The PS3 is dead in Japan. - Sailor Goon
The Japanese don't like games such as Hot Shots Golf. - Sailor Goon
#6OtakuGameraPosted 1/3/2013 8:41:18 AM
just die already sony

wow, the hatred.. so much..
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#7FindmeElseweyrPosted 1/3/2013 8:44:31 AM
I like how when I buy used textbooks for college, I have to pay an additional fee so the text appears.

Or when I buy a used car, I have to pay the manufacturer 5% of the total cost so it'll start.

On the plus side, putting this into action will effectively be the signature decision that killed Sony's gaming dept., one of the only profitable parts of their company (if you can even still say that) and will likely lead to their downfall as a company.

: ) gj sony.
---
I have never been more serious about anything in my life.
dungeonfighter.nexon.net
#8Lord_VishanaPosted 1/3/2013 8:45:14 AM
OtakuGamera posted...
just die already sony

To be fair, it is somewhat justified. Sony is trying sabotage themselves it seems. I'm honestly curious how you any other devoted Sony supporters feel about them doing this.
---
Official Wood Elf Druid of the NDF and KDF Balthier Basched his Penelo into Fran's Ashe in the back of the Vaan
#9stargazer64Posted 1/3/2013 8:47:52 AM
Lord_Vishana posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
just die already sony

To be fair, it is somewhat justified. Sony is trying sabotage themselves it seems. I'm honestly curious how you any other devoted Sony supporters feel about them doing this.

Allow me to put words in their mouths: "This is great news! Now we can make sure that our money goes to Sony and the hard-working developers and not to LOLGamestop."
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#10BruceLee1974Posted 1/3/2013 8:49:25 AM
I don't like any company that forces me to do something, That's why I dislike Apple and was starting to get sick of Microsoft with the 360.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 next gen but not if Sony is going to do something like this.

I got a Vita and I like it but if you are going to do this to your customers I think you will lose more then you will gain.

People like Choice, so if you want to keep losing money, your going about it the right way. Sony reminds me of Nokia, Nokia were once kings to now look where they are. If Sony don't start making their fans HAPPY I can see them in Nokia's position in a few years.