Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

#21ZignoffPosted 1/3/2013 8:35:59 AM
Making better games, and having more realistic prices would be a start in stopping used games.
---
Here comes a New Web Comic for gamers, BY a gamer, Critique is welcomed as long as you are positive about it.
http://hatetheplayer.thewebcomic.com/
#22stargazer64Posted 1/3/2013 8:41:13 AM
Zignoff posted...
Making better games, and having more realistic prices would be a start in stopping used games.

Bingo. Making games that people actually want to keep in their collection.

I think DLC helps as well, if done tastefully. Releasing extra levels and some free DLC down the road will encourage people to hang onto games.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#23Lord_VishanaPosted 1/3/2013 8:41:35 AM
Hypothetically speaking, if there is validity to this, could Sony implement this retroactively on the Vita or PS3 in a future system update?
---
Official Wood Elf Druid of the NDF and KDF Balthier Basched his Penelo into Fran's Ashe in the back of the Vaan
#24looolrogPosted 1/3/2013 8:43:22 AM
Naughty, naughty, big corporations.

Sony bad, Sony bad.
---
Getting bodied is what I do.
#25kdiz4321Posted 1/3/2013 8:44:13 AM
Zignoff posted...

Yup, if you can sell the game for a low enough price that people won't have to wait for a price drop and make it good enough that people won't want to sell it back, you'll probably cut out most of the used game market.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#26Last VampirePosted 1/3/2013 8:47:32 AM
This would only increase piracy. If you don't want to pay full price for a game and can't buy it used, you're not going to suddenly have a change of heart and buy it new. You're going to pirate it for free.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#27silverjacePosted 1/3/2013 8:48:58 AM
Lord_Vishana posted...
Hypothetically speaking, if there is validity to this, could Sony implement this retroactively on the Vita or PS3 in a future system update?

I highly doubt it. This seems like something that needs to coded into the game at the start and i seriously doubt that code already exists in the hundreds of games already made.
#28Virtue777Posted 1/3/2013 8:56:48 AM
The used game market hurts developers and reduces game quality. PC games have been using software keys for quite some time now, I'd be incredibly happy if this trend expanded to consoles.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#29FindmeElseweyrPosted 1/3/2013 8:57:52 AM

Potentially.

It could be done the same way as Xbox with the live titles that you can do on a "trial", and then when you want to unlock the full game you download a 180kb unlock code.

It obviously wouldn't work with already existing games, but if they decided to use it in all first party games (I highly doubt they're going to get 3rd party developers on their side with this) then they could.

It's basically CD Keys ala PC gaming, except on consoles now. :/

Game will be shipped on disc in an unable to function state until it's "activated" via dlc/patch (key).
---
I have never been more serious about anything in my life.
dungeonfighter.nexon.net
#30Virtue777Posted 1/3/2013 8:59:36 AM
Also anyone complaining about the price of games today is a young gamer. A very young gamer at that. Those of us who have been around know that $60 for a game, and $400-$600 for a launch console, is nothing compared to what we used to pay. I still remember dishing out $80 for Super Castlevania IV when that came out in '91. That was when you could still get a hamburger at McDonald's for 25 cents.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382