Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

#51stargazer64Posted 1/3/2013 11:14:28 AM
MegaMettaur posted...
Unlike piracy, selling a game used, actually screws the developers over.

Um, say again? I think someone may need to sig this.
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#52DoomerangPosted 1/3/2013 11:17:02 AM
You guys do realize that companies patent questionable things all the time and is no guarantee that they'd use the patent in actual technology right? Perfect example is Microsoft's patenting of potential technology that lets them see what you're doing with their products; it's patentable, but probably would not go into actual technology unless they want to have lawsuits regarding invasion of privacy.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#53Sailor GoonPosted 1/3/2013 11:18:54 AM(edited)
ITT: people don't realize all game companies are trying to adopt this
---
As told to me by Gamefaqs admin: They hire 17 year olds as moderators!
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#54squatch22Posted 1/3/2013 11:20:50 AM
stargazer64 posted...
MegaMettaur posted...
Unlike piracy, selling a game used, actually screws the developers over.

Um, say again? I think someone may need to sig this.

Agreed
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#55ThePonyColliePosted 1/3/2013 11:22:24 AM
Getting rid of used games is always good. Stop being cheap and support the hard working developers.
---
"You better not change the game, and you better be DAMN sure you don't make it the same game every time!" - RE Fans
#56sockesockePosted 1/3/2013 11:23:43 AM
i know that japan loves the idea of suicide (seppuku, harakiri) but this is a bit too much. anyway, i hope they release this "technology" as soon as possible so they can go down faster.
---
MotiJr:Sony copied George Foreman grills with their playstation 3 design.
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#57TyrantLowKeyPosted 1/3/2013 11:25:32 AM
stargazer64 posted...
"They should research how to get first-hand game sales before doing this."

LOL

And Sony has been trying to kill used game sales for a long time now. This is not surprising. We'll see how long it takes for them to actually accomplish this without pissing off most of their remaining fanbase.

I'll be done with gaming once used games can't be sold (consoles of course).
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Hearts Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS OC (3DS), ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#58stargazer64Posted 1/3/2013 11:29:56 AM
TyrantLowKey posted...
stargazer64 posted...
"They should research how to get first-hand game sales before doing this."

LOL

And Sony has been trying to kill used game sales for a long time now. This is not surprising. We'll see how long it takes for them to actually accomplish this without pissing off most of their remaining fanbase.

I'll be done with gaming once used games can't be sold (consoles of course).

They will need to lower game prices, IMO. People will be less willing to buy a $60 game if they can't sell it back. People are already whining about games costing too much since there are so many free - $1 games on the app store.

Then there will be more devs lowering their game budgets and hopefully there will be a huge 2D renaissance :-)
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#59TyrantLowKeyPosted 1/3/2013 11:30:24 AM
Virtue777 posted...
stargazer64 posted...
Virtue777 posted...
Also anyone complaining about the price of games today is a young gamer. A very young gamer at that. Those of us who have been around know that $60 for a game, and $400-$600 for a launch console, is nothing compared to what we used to pay. I still remember dishing out $80 for Super Castlevania IV when that came out in '91. That was when you could still get a hamburger at McDonald's for 25 cents.

Wow dude...where did you live? SNES games were usually $50. There were definitely extreme cases, though.

Anyway, blame the App Store. Anything more than 99 cents on there is met with looks of disbelief.

I live in NA. $80 was a tad higher than normal I remember, but it wasn't even close to the highest. I remember Phantasy Star II was over $100 at launch.

I remember Chrono Trigger was around $80 bucks also. There were just less quality games out then so you could use your money on some games. Nowadays there are so many games and you wanna be sure you are using your money wisely (hence the console fanboy wars) that $60 just seems like a lot. Of course games were a lot more "original" back then as well (you can debate this but what I mean is gaming was "newer" as a whole not the games itself).
---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Hearts Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS OC (3DS), ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#60YamaguxhiPosted 1/3/2013 11:37:21 AM
Cobra1010 posted...
I wonder if this is psychological tactic against microsoft? Because we all know if sony blocks pre-owned games and then Xbox doesnt, alot of pissed off fans will go to xbox. Are Sony really that stupid or are they trying to trick xbox into doing that instead of themselves?

Sony isn't that smart.
---
No more Tom foolerey