Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

#61mike_411Posted 1/3/2013 11:39:59 AM
wouldn't be surprised if the next xbox tried something like this. This might be the next step in gaming...like it or hate it.

consumers will decide the outcome of such a move with their wallets. That's all i'll say there.
---
Hardcore Naoto fan.
That neko costume was just purrfectly unbearable~
#62Natureboy99Posted 1/3/2013 11:40:24 AM
I think everyone knows supressing used game sales would be a huge mistake. However, I think some ideas might work. They already supress the online component in some used games, forcing you to pay $10 for the online pass. I think this idea is ok. What if all games were $10 less at retail, but used games were supressed? What if they were $20 less, across the board? I think I would prefer $40 new PS3 games, and $30 Vita games (for the high end games) with no used games over $60/$50 with used games.
---
Voted class of 2079 most likely to abuse time travel
#63brycemorrPosted 1/3/2013 11:46:02 AM
BruceLee1974 posted...
I don't like any company that forces me to do something, That's why I dislike Apple and was starting to get sick of Microsoft with the 360.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 next gen but not if Sony is going to do something like this.

I got a Vita and I like it but if you are going to do this to your customers I think you will lose more then you will gain.

People like Choice, so if you want to keep losing money, your going about it the right way. Sony reminds me of Nokia, Nokia were once kings to now look where they are. If Sony don't start making their fans HAPPY I can see them in Nokia's position in a few years.

Well get ready for a world with out choices on how to get the games. Its not just Sony doing this its Microsoft, Nintendo, and the Developers all doing this. Granted yes Sony is the leader of this coalition of the Anti-Used games and Digital Download only. I see less games in stores now days then 3 years ago.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#64MegaMettaurPosted 1/3/2013 11:47:17 AM
squatch22 posted...
stargazer64 posted...
MegaMettaur posted...
Unlike piracy, selling a game used, actually screws the developers over.

Um, say again? I think someone may need to sig this.

Agreed

Dunno if you're trolling, but a pirate wasn't gonna buy the game period, so they wouldn't count as sale or lost sale. Used games would count because it shows that the person its willing to buy it, but thre sale doesn't count. You removed my statement from the context and made it look like it meant something else, if that us the case.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#65squatch22Posted 1/3/2013 11:48:27 AM
MegaMettaur posted...
squatch22 posted...
stargazer64 posted...
MegaMettaur posted...
Unlike piracy, selling a game used, actually screws the developers over.

Um, say again? I think someone may need to sig this.

Agreed

Dunno if you're trolling, but a pirate wasn't gonna buy the game period, so they wouldn't count as sale or lost sale. Used games would count because it shows that the person its willing to buy it, but thre sale doesn't count. You removed my statement from the context and made it look like it meant something else, if that us the case.

The dev doesnt get the cash from the game either way, so it both screws the dev over.
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#66johnluke728Posted 1/3/2013 11:52:24 AM
stargazer64 posted...
"They should research how to get first-hand game sales before doing this."

LOL

And Sony has been trying to kill used game sales for a long time now. This is not surprising. We'll see how long it takes for them to actually accomplish this without pissing off most of their remaining fanbase.

loling at that clever comment myself. XD

I really hope they don't try to kill off used games, there's just no way I can realistically fill in the blanks in my library without pre-owned copies. No way I'm spending whole thousands of dollars on completing a collection of must-have exclusives in all new copies, just no way. I'd rather put that kind of money into a car or motorcycle, not a small pile of plastic discs.

Crap like this will only make playing games on consoles more complicated than on a PC, and that's going to punish even people paying full price for their games. So much for plug and play simplicity. The PS4 will die a fast and horrible death at launch if they implement that repulsive technology into the system.

I agree with one analyst on the subject, "The consumer backlash would be too much.".
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#67kdiz4321Posted 1/3/2013 11:53:04 AM
brycemorr posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...
I don't like any company that forces me to do something, That's why I dislike Apple and was starting to get sick of Microsoft with the 360.

I was thinking about getting a PS4 next gen but not if Sony is going to do something like this.

I got a Vita and I like it but if you are going to do this to your customers I think you will lose more then you will gain.

People like Choice, so if you want to keep losing money, your going about it the right way. Sony reminds me of Nokia, Nokia were once kings to now look where they are. If Sony don't start making their fans HAPPY I can see them in Nokia's position in a few years.

Well get ready for a world with out choices on how to get the games. Its not just Sony doing this its Microsoft, Nintendo, and the Developers all doing this. Granted yes Sony is the leader of this coalition of the Anti-Used games and Digital Download only. I see less games in stores now days then 3 years ago.

Again, that would push everyone on board to their doom. If you're going to push DD only you're going to start to compete with the current king of DD, who is now putting out their own console. Most big name companies already have a lot of their games on Steam, if other systems start selling like crap because of these policies it's not a huge stretch to consider moving the rest there too, at least as multiplats.
---
I am not an early adopter. If your system is as awesome as you say it is, it will still be in stores when the games I want are out.
#68JustPlainEvilPosted 1/3/2013 11:57:46 AM
Lord_Vishana posted...
Sony is going to completely cannibalize themselves by doing this, much like the GOP. I won't miss either, but I'll be upset if the Vita is a casualty. :-(

same.

Sony should focus on making better 1st party games instead of complaining about a used market. IIRC twisted metal was a pile of crap and the move was abysmal and useless. If the newer PS console is around the same price of the launch PS3, I am out. I'm not paying a company to remove features in a firmware update because they're incompetent, and tell me I can't buy a used game because I won't be able to play it. Makes me glad I have a PC.

Whats next? you can't buy used cars? f-that.
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965(3.8ghz), Sapphire HD7870, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W8.
#69MegaMettaurPosted 1/3/2013 11:59:23 AM
kdiz4321 posted...
brycemorr posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...

Again, that would push everyone on board to their doom. If you're going to push DD only you're going to start to compete with the current king of DD, who is now putting out their own console. Most big name companies already have a lot of their games on Steam, if other systems start selling like crap because of these policies it's not a huge stretch to consider moving the rest there too, at least as multiplats.

steam is making a console? Do want. Especially if my current purchases carry over to it.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#70JustPlainEvilPosted 1/3/2013 12:06:25 PM
MegaMettaur posted...
kdiz4321 posted...
brycemorr posted...
BruceLee1974 posted...

steam is making a console? Do want. Especially if my current purchases carry over to it.

Its rumored but it's basically a HTPC that can play games. It's supposedly called a Steambox.
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965(3.8ghz), Sapphire HD7870, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W8.