Sony has researched new tech for suppressing second-hand game sales

#71MegaMettaurPosted 1/3/2013 12:09:37 PM
All I've heard was that they've been planning one for a long time. Have they started development?
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#72saleamaPosted 1/3/2013 12:17:04 PM
I lived in an eastern European country a few years back and they had a Sony store that sold all things Sony as well as traded in used games, movies etc.., In this way, they ensured that they would get at least part of the used media business back. Seems to me, that mafia style control will kill their business, while thinking smarter and prvoviding a better buy back store or system might actually help them. I, for one, would take a game back to a Sony store for a few more nickles on trade in or direct sell before I would take it to another game trading place.
#73Ness0123456789Posted 1/3/2013 12:33:55 PM
I still don't understand why people put all the blame on Sony for this. It's not entirely their fault that they've been forced into this situation. They, and a number of other developers have TRIED to make deals with companies such as Gamestop, Amazon, and the like to try and get a cut of their used game sales.

However, every time they have, their requests have been denied over and over because, like any good company, these corporations want the money themselves, and having to give a cut of every sale, including used, is detrimental to them. It's a very shady business when it come sot used sales, especially with Gamestop, which consistently uses ad-campaigns to try and get unwary or uneducated buyers to sell back their games at half price, and then turn arond and sell the game for a $5 mark down, essentially letting the company make all the sale back from the original purchase of the game new, and then some.

If you're going to be upset about things like this happen, be upset at the companies that sell used Games, and don't purchase anything used. It's not fair to push all your hatred towards Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo for trying to actually make money off the games they're selling.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#74gray_fox_00Posted 1/3/2013 12:37:58 PM
This has been rumored for both Sony and Microsoft since like last April. Both would have to want to lose business to be dumb enough to actually implement this.

I'm not worried about this in the slightest though I do expect to see a lot more online passes and such to make up for used game sales.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
#75JustPlainEvilPosted 1/3/2013 12:42:20 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
I still don't understand why people put all the blame on Sony for this. It's not entirely their fault that they've been forced into this situation. They, and a number of other developers have TRIED to make deals with companies such as Gamestop, Amazon, and the like to try and get a cut of their used game sales.

However, every time they have, their requests have been denied over and over because, like any good company, these corporations want the money themselves, and having to give a cut of every sale, including used, is detrimental to them. It's a very shady business when it come sot used sales, especially with Gamestop, which consistently uses ad-campaigns to try and get unwary or uneducated buyers to sell back their games at half price, and then turn arond and sell the game for a $5 mark down, essentially letting the company make all the sale back from the original purchase of the game new, and then some.

If you're going to be upset about things like this happen, be upset at the companies that sell used Games, and don't purchase anything used. It's not fair to push all your hatred towards Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo for trying to actually make money off the games they're selling.

It's okay, they can blame Piracy like everybody else does. It always solves everything, amirite?
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965(3.8ghz), Sapphire HD7870, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W8.
#76Darkyellow327Posted 1/3/2013 12:44:07 PM
I find it kind of funny that Sony Gaming Division's entire R&D and Marketing team seems intent on fighting second-hand games instead of adapting to them. It's surprising how similar these companies are to the record industry.
---
Not changing my sig until Soulja Boy challenges me to a rap battle
#77valeski2236Posted 1/3/2013 12:44:34 PM
It seems like it would be really easy for retailers like gamestop to fight this.
They could just collectively refuse to carry the system and the games. if you go to the playstation website you can't even buy systems/games direct (unless you're doing digital games)

try it, it will link you to best buy or amazon etc.
#78kyncaniPosted 1/3/2013 12:46:57 PM
gray_fox_00 posted...
This has been rumored for both Sony and Microsoft since like last April. Both would have to want to lose business to be dumb enough to actually implement this.

It would be good if one of them or more did not go through with this.
It would be best if it was Sony since they may not region lock their hardware.
#79JustPlainEvilPosted 1/3/2013 12:47:12 PM
Darkyellow327 posted...
I find it kind of funny that Sony Gaming Division's entire R&D and Marketing team seems intent on fighting second-hand games instead of adapting to them. It's surprising how similar these companies are to the record industry.

Once you get a taste of power, then begins an insatiable thirst for it.
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965(3.8ghz), Sapphire HD7870, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W8.
#80AceAndJunpeiPosted 1/3/2013 12:50:25 PM
mike_411 posted...
wouldn't be surprised if the next xbox tried something like this. This might be the next step in gaming...like it or hate it.

consumers will decide the outcome of such a move with their wallets. That's all i'll say there.

Lol, of course only MS would do it, not your dear Sony, the company who JUST PATENTED IT...are you serious dude?
---
Now Playing:Persona 4 Golden (Vita), NSMB U (WiiU), Zero Escape (3DS), Wipeout 2048 (Vita) Metal Gear Solid 4 Trophy Run (PS3)