Final Fantasy 8 or Final Fantasy 9? Which is better?

#161MechaNapoleonPosted 1/4/2013 7:25:10 AM
I loved 8 for the first playthrough, but its not a game I ever really wanted to play again (though I have). The whole junctioning system is just too irritating to do again.

And I absolutely despise 9, probably unfairly but can't change reality. The gameplay mechanics are fine and all, nothing special, but the whole Brony-esque quality of the characters and story just make me cringe. (AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE GRAPHICS! Though those apply too, they don't bother me so much.)

8's mini-game also must be noted, as its a full-fledged well-designed game in itself (so much so that it is a real card game now). 9's may look strikingly similar, but its a random mess of crap.

And despite all that, I'd have to recommend 9 for most people (gruh!).
#162Pawkie07Posted 1/4/2013 7:52:35 AM
There both great and lot of fun. Though 9 has that old school feel theme to it which is really nice.
#163QuetzalmaPosted 1/4/2013 8:00:54 AM
I love both games, but the story overall is better on IX, even though VIII had its moments, but the card game in VIII(Triple Triad) is MUCH MUCH better then the IX one (Tetra Master)
#164RJLuigiPosted 1/4/2013 8:03:12 AM
I voted for IX being a better game.
However if you want a challenge to 100% with armour and weapons etc. then VIII is a way harder challenge. Getting all the GF's, cards, weapons, finding Pu Pu, the black shadow, the rock challenge, the small Chocobo.
There are way more little secrets in VIII than IX.
#165MegaMettaurPosted 1/4/2013 8:08:20 AM(edited)
Quetzalma posted...
I love both games, but the story overall is better on IX, even though VIII had its moments, but the card game in VIII(Triple Triad) is MUCH MUCH better then the IX one (Tetra Master)

I really liked Tetra Master. I'm fairly good at it, and I think everyone could be if they used the guide on figuring out stats for cards (which is actually easy), the only problem with it in 9 is that there's no real incentive for getting good at it, or playing it, period.

It's just like completing the pokedex in Pokemon. All you get is a pat on the back.
---
Now Playing (VITA): Ragnarok Oddysey, DJ Max Technika Tune (soon) PSN: Roksor.
Now Playing (PC): TalonRO
#166lonelyguysolidPosted 1/4/2013 8:07:26 AM
FFIX
Seriously, FFVIII is the worst game of the whole series.
#167Bleach313Posted 1/4/2013 8:10:01 AM
Final Fantasy 9 all the way

FF9 had a more memorable villain then 8 and it was more fun. I liked 8 but that draw system kinda messed with me sometimes, especially when you take a lot of time in the menus in a fight and have to get hit. Also FF9 had a more likable cast and protagonist. I think this is the 3rd time a FF game has made a protagonist that was fun and a jokester, the other ones were Bartz (FF5), Tidus (FF10), and Zidane (FF9). I really wish Square-Enix would make more protagonists like these 3 because they're more enjoyable to watch then an emotional wreck, and an anger issues girl. Hopefully if Nomura keeps his promise Noctis from FFversus13 will be slightly like this.

So yeah this is why i like FF9 more. I didn't even want to mention that FF8 has Vivi, who is one of the most likable FF members in past history next to the FF7 cast.
---
Currently Playing: Persona 4 The Golden and Guild Wars 2
PSN ID: yooobooyj
#168rickdraco1980Posted 1/4/2013 8:15:08 AM
Final Fantasy 9, in my opinion by a large degree. Though 8 is still worth playing, to me it is the start of when FF lost it's way.
#169Riot55555Posted 1/4/2013 8:54:17 AM
VIII is better. IX had good gameplay but was bogged down by terrible character art which was plagued with furries.
---
My competitive CS:S videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxqydBplX0&feature=channel_page&fmt=22
#170McMarblesPosted 1/4/2013 8:55:10 AM
MATADOR480 posted...
thompsontalker7 posted...
IX, easily.

---
Currently playing: Tales of the Abyss
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.