Final Fantasy 8 or Final Fantasy 9? Which is better?

#171Shin_GallonPosted 1/4/2013 9:07:56 AM
They're both objectively better than 7, so either way you win. And no, I don't hate 7, in fact I love it, I just like it the least out of the 3 main-series FF games from the Playstation. But honestly I ever-so-slightly prefer 8, if only because I loved the characters and the battle system. But 9 was also great, the last truly enjoyable entry in the series before it started it's downward slide. I liked FFX well enough (it actually has my favorite battle system out of the series because it's true turn-based), but the MMOs don't count and 12 might as well have been an MMO from the terrible battle system, and 13 can rot in hell.
#172TeraPatrick2008Posted 1/4/2013 9:27:44 AM
thompsontalker7 posted...
IX, easily.
#173wh0_kn0wsPosted 1/4/2013 9:29:31 AM
VIII, i really loved the characters and the atmosphere, but as a game, and how the story concluded, it was basically broken.

in IX, it was far more competent as a game, but i never could find myself caring much about the characters, which is very strange because that never comes close to happening for me in any other FF game.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#174KeyBlade999Posted 1/4/2013 9:30:13 AM
It's a bit tough. I loved both a lot... FFVIII has the edge on the story and customization.

However, FFVIII is also a bit time-consuming as far as customization goes. FFIX is a fair deal simpler than FFVIII, and it also has a pretty decent story.

In the end, I give the edge to FFIX.
---
Every wound a new opportunity, every curse a new challenge.
I shall encounter defeats... But I will not be defeated.
#175mr_indiffPosted 1/4/2013 9:35:44 AM
My vote goes to 9. It had a very classic JRPG feel, and was pretty solid. Good mix of drama, romance, comedy, and stuff. Gameplay was simple and straightforward, but not lacking nor broken. Also liked several of the characters (Vivi!), and it had some awesome eidolon FMV. Card game was also addicting (although 8's might be better). Music was cool, too.
#176JugsofMilkPosted 1/4/2013 9:46:22 AM
VIII, easily.

I hated IX when it first came out; I still hate it now. The characters aren't really any better than the cast of Teletubbies and people actually preferring IX over VIII says a lot about the infantile mentality of a lot of video game players. IX is most likely a good game disregarding the awful characters, but with them I just can't enjoy it.
#177Darkyellow327Posted 1/4/2013 10:24:34 AM
9 is probably the best Final Fantasy on the PS, but I found 8 to be very fun even though it is incredibly easy to exploit the game engine.
---
Not changing my sig until Soulja Boy challenges me to a rap battle
#178MtbangerPosted 1/4/2013 10:32:04 AM
thompsontalker7 posted...
IX, easily.
#179Pirate_BalthierPosted 1/4/2013 10:33:46 AM
9 easily, it's my favorite FF, and personally I think it's better than 6 and 7 (not that these two are bad, they're also great games). It mixes both the old and the new traits of FF with a memorable cast and story, graphics that have aged pretty well, gorgeous music and many side quests and mini games.

8 is also good and I think that Triple Triad is better than Tetra Master but the drawing system can be a bit of a let down, I know you can refine spells from items which is more efficient than drawing them from enemies but still you will barely want to use magic because that will affect negatively your status, not to mention that they leave the other characters much aside to focus a lot more on Squall and Rinoa. On a more positive side the story isn't that bad really, it has great music as well.
---
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9876/8786730ne3.gif
I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.
#180Darkyellow327Posted 1/4/2013 10:50:12 AM
Pirate_Balthier posted...
9 easily, it's my favorite FF, and personally I think it's better than 6 and 7 (not that these two are bad, they're also great games). It mixes both the old and the new traits of FF with a memorable cast and story, graphics that have aged pretty well, gorgeous music and many side quests and mini games.

8 is also good and I think that Triple Triad is better than Tetra Master but the drawing system can be a bit of a let down, I know you can refine spells from items which is more efficient than drawing them from enemies but still you will barely want to use magic because that will affect negatively your status, not to mention that they leave the other characters much aside to focus a lot more on Squall and Rinoa. On a more positive side the story isn't that bad really, it has great music as well.

No reason to use magic when you can Darkside with Squall at like level 20 for 6k+ damage.
---
Not changing my sig until Soulja Boy challenges me to a rap battle