Final Fantasy 8 or Final Fantasy 9? Which is better?

#71jaoman69Posted 1/3/2013 9:51:16 PM
9 Personaly
#72ArtosRCPosted 1/3/2013 9:51:43 PM
IX doesn't get interesting until the start of disc three.
---
This is fact and cannot be disputed.
http://i48.tinypic.com/xkx5kw.gif
#73KarnRX78Posted 1/3/2013 9:59:58 PM
Bland environments? FFVIII? No.

Weak story? Sounds like you didn't understand it. It's an amazing story, just poorly executed.

Useless magic...kind of have a point. Magic ALWAYS has a use, it's just often better not to use since it's essentially equipment.

Little to no weapon customization...meh. You customize all of that through junctioning, since it's through junctioning that you raise your attack stat, and give your weapons and armor properties such as added effect-Zombie, or absorb fire. It's actually MORE customization than the other games, except for the visual aspect.

Long summons? They're there so you can use the boost ability to increase the summon damage. And if you're relying on summoning and using them that often in the game, you're doing it wrong.

Worst final boss because she enters combat with random members? How so? If one dies they're replaced with another member. I don't see how that makes her the worst. When I played the game, 2/3 of the party picked for the final battle was people I never bothered to use (The only 2 of the 6 characters I never used). They died in less than 4 turns and were immediately replaced--Squall never even entered the battle.

And Squall is unlikable? His personality is initially abrasive, but he's without question the most realistic protagonist in the series (at least more so than Cloud, Zidane, Terra, Yuna and anyone before them), and is one of the most memorable, popular and iconic characters of the series...So whether he's unlikable or not...most people seem to like him anyway.

I honestly think a lot of people just heard opinions of VIII and never gave it an honest shot. Like people complaining about the Draw system, disc 1 is really the only time that I spend time drawing. Disc 2 and later you have most of the refine items to magic abilities from GF. At that point you can make the necessary magics quickly. During the later portion of Disc 3 you can make so much magic it isn't funny.

I agree that most of the offensive magic has little use in the game, the support spells do though. Cast Aura on Squall when he has Lion Heart and most bosses near the and die quickly.

Getting characters to 100 in VIII is so easy. Disc 4 on the Island Closest to Hell, levels you up in no time. So you shouldn't have problems on Disc 4.

Like I said in an earlier post, I found VIII to be very very easy. The story has it's problems, but the quirks in it make the game enjoyable to me.
#74SeeDSquallBMPosted 1/3/2013 10:01:16 PM
seeing as how my sig is SeeDSquall i would have to say FF8 my favorite, but i'd say 9 is the "better" game. It takes a special person to enjoy a lot of things in 8. Like the draw system, card game (gets pretty annoying late game) weapon "crafting", Zell...
But all those things i love, and i know i'm different because of it. Limit breaks for 8 are the best though, anyone who doesn't agree is crazy imo.
9 has a great story, cool characters, a much simpler and direct character build/ lvling system, music, it's a great game too.
#75redemptionerPosted 1/3/2013 10:01:52 PM
9 is better
---
LawlzerPanzers!
#76Jayhawk9408Posted 1/3/2013 10:04:33 PM
Only thing 8 had better than 9 was how the limit breaks worked. I liked the trance abilities in 9, but getting them to activate was annoying
#77LunarDream337Posted 1/3/2013 10:08:39 PM
I haven't even played 9 yet and I'm gonna say 9, yet I didn't like 8 that much. 9 does look very good, I can't wait to play it, but I won't may a judgment till I do so. 8 on the other hand I just saw as a disaster, it has potential though.
---
3DS FC: 2723 - 8674 - 4726 , Feel free to add me :)
#78ZarchoniaPosted 1/3/2013 10:09:57 PM
Emi3280 posted...
Final Fantasy VIII, Squall has an incredible backstory and the game itself has a mystery yet to be resolved: Squall's death.

Squall's death is just fan theory. However the game was pretty awesome.
---
"How do you prove we exist? Maybe we don't exist." -Vivi
#79TheBaronBoomPosted 1/3/2013 10:12:11 PM
Voted for IX because VIII represents (for me at least) the "fall" of Final Fantasy,
FF I through VII were Masterpieces, Compelling stories, Tight mechanics, and Wonderful Characters.... in ff8 they sacrificed those things for graphics,
In ff9 square almost brought FF back to the level of quality that the past games had.................and then they threw it away when they made ff X...........and they've been falling ever since.....(to me)
#80AgitoXIIIPosted 1/3/2013 10:12:29 PM
ManjiMidou posted...
l find just the act of someone asking this question very offensive. FF9 is better in every way compared to FF8.

---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.