Vita's software sales (or lack thereof) is more telling than its hardware sales

#21ZendaikPosted 1/10/2013 2:28:42 PM
Pasha777 posted...
gamewhooper181 posted...
Digital distribution has not caught on as largely in Japan as it has in the West. When revealing how Gravity Rush was doing, its creator had said that a bit over 10% of those who purchased the game did so digitally. Do you honestly think that Vita software would be doing better than Dreamcast software if you included digital purchases?

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, according to Famitsu, has sold 2,423,000 - a whole 320,000 more than Media Create has tracked. That disparity is because Famitsu just started tracking eShop cards that are sold in-store. Earlier in the year, NSMB2 and Brain Age: Concentration Training also had their own eShop cards. You don't think that 80,000 people bought Animal Crossing: New Leaf just off of the eShop without going to a store?

So let me get this straight. You said that DD is not a big deal in Japan. But then you say that DD games sell great on eShop (eShop cards and direct buys from eShop had sold over 400k copies, so given that the game sold 2,5mil in total, DD would account for 16% - or more - of overall sales, which is not too bad). So how is it with DD and Japan?

PS Vita started with DD games while DD is pretty new to 3DS. So I'd assume that the Vita users are used to DD by now and buy DD games more often than 3DS users. Therefore we can speculate that DD games on the Vita account for more than 16% (with Gravity Rush being an exception; it sold bad in Japan).

Let's assume that every Vita game sold 15-20%+ more units thanks to DD. That assumption alone makes that lovely chart useless.

I am not saying that Vita software sales are great, because they're not. However, I think they're not as bad as you claim.

Animal Crossing is a big exception among DD sales. You can't use its success to gauge how well other games sold.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#22KAMMYqueenPosted 1/10/2013 2:32:17 PM
too many numbers
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa for Super Smash Bros
U
#23gamewhooper181(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 3:07:05 PM
Pasha777 posted...
gamewhooper181 posted...
Digital distribution has not caught on as largely in Japan as it has in the West. When revealing how Gravity Rush was doing, its creator had said that a bit over 10% of those who purchased the game did so digitally. Do you honestly think that Vita software would be doing better than Dreamcast software if you included digital purchases?

Animal Crossing: New Leaf, according to Famitsu, has sold 2,423,000 - a whole 320,000 more than Media Create has tracked. That disparity is because Famitsu just started tracking eShop cards that are sold in-store. Earlier in the year, NSMB2 and Brain Age: Concentration Training also had their own eShop cards. You don't think that 80,000 people bought Animal Crossing: New Leaf just off of the eShop without going to a store?

So let me get this straight. You said that DD is not a big deal in Japan. But then you say that DD games sell great on eShop (eShop cards and direct buys from eShop had sold over 400k copies, so given that the game sold 2,5mil in total, DD would account for 16% - or more - of overall sales, which is not too bad). So how is it with DD and Japan?

PS Vita started with DD games while DD is pretty new to 3DS. So I'd assume that the Vita users are used to DD by now and buy DD games more often than 3DS users. Therefore we can speculate that DD games on the Vita account for more than 16% (with Gravity Rush being an exception; it sold bad in Japan).

Let's assume that every Vita game sold 15-20%+ more units thanks to DD. That assumption alone makes that lovely chart useless.

I am not saying that Vita software sales are great, because they're not. However, I think they're not as bad as you claim.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is an exception, not the rule. Even then, Nintendo's distribution of game-specific eShop cards into Japanese retail has been done almost solely BECAUSE of how poorly the country has latched on to digital downloads thusfar.

Your assumption is just that - an assumption. I compared Dreamcast retail to WonderSwan retail to Vita retail to 3DS retail. And even if Vita games sold 20% more than what is shown thanks to PSN, you'd still have single 3DS games outselling Vita's entire line-up. My point remains.
---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper
#24fourgigmanPosted 1/10/2013 3:44:25 PM
Topic is moot. I think you would all be surprized how much software is sold on PSN.
---
PSN: bulletproofvita
#25stargazer64Posted 1/10/2013 4:41:25 PM
fourgigman posted...
Topic is moot. I think you would all be surprized how much software is sold on PSN.

Please enlighten me. I love surprises!
---
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
#26fourgigmanPosted 1/10/2013 5:00:10 PM
stargazer64 posted...
fourgigman posted...

Please enlighten me. I love surprises!

Like a lot. Haven't you heard.
---
PSN: bulletproofvita