If you don't care about sales, you don't care about the Vita...

#31BlestsolPosted 1/15/2013 7:36:11 AM
I still don't care about sells. I'm not on their marketing team or payroll. There's nothing I can do about it. This is a stupid topic.
---
Psn:Blestsoul
#32MonsterWafflezPosted 1/15/2013 7:38:47 AM
I love Vita! But I don't care about sales all that much. It has good games and is getting good games.

It could be doing better yeah. But support for it is still strong. That is all that matters to me.
#33WhiteSword7Posted 1/15/2013 7:39:04 AM
Blestsol posted...
I still don't care about sells. I'm not on their marketing team or payroll. There's nothing I can do about it. This is a stupid topic.

---
PSN: Derrysan360-US
Please Message me first via PSN, because Random friend request will be deleted
#34vgsrule(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2013 7:46:59 AM
Re: VGSrule and the Wii confusion....the Wii hardware sold amazingly well for several years, but third party support was still pretty pathetic for the most part. It got a ton of shovelware and most quality third party releases went elsewhere.

They are completely different circumstances, of course, but it puts holes in the theory that great hardware sales = great games and support.

Oh, alright. It's a decent point to make, but I don't think it's all that relevant. As said, there were other issues (which I'm sure the Vita has as well), but the fact that more sales don't guarantee support, doesn't mean low sales is a good thing.

All I know is that every Wednesday when the sales get posted my vita is magically less fun to play with, the 100+titles I have on it somehow grow smaller, and its pulse slacks a bit.

Missing the point.

So.... as a customer what do you want us to do?
"care" is not a solution

I didn't ask you to do anything. I just wanted to state my opinion on why I think this argument is heavily flawed.

I love the vita and don't care about sales. Guess what, sony isn't going to just drop the hardware and admit defeat. The Vita is going to stick around and pick up steam slowly.

Actually if you REALLY cared about the vita you would stop making so many "worry" threads. All this fear about sales just turns off people who were on the fence about buying one. Really all you worriers are doing are making the situation worse.

And...what do you think "pick up steam" means?

This is my first topic on the subject. And if someone is on the fence, I don't think it's unreasonable for sales to be part of their decision, though definitely not the only one. Part of my reason, actually (I don't own a Vita).

So i: bought vita at launch, traded my 3ds for it, have played nothing but vita from EU launch to date, bought plenty of games for it, plan to support it to the end, like the device very, very much BUT don't care about vita because i don't have stress because of the sales!!?

Just when did sales decide how good the system is? Now that vita sales are low do i own Sony so much that i have to buy 3 new vita's like everyone else?

I said none of these things, though I admit my topic title is misleading, looking back at it.

I am pointing out a flawed argument. If you don't care about the argument, that's fine.

vgsrule posted...
If you do not care about sales, because you're content with current and announced games, you are being ignorant.

I don't disagree, but...

Calm down, Michael Jackson.

It's exactly what I mean, though.
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#35lordcloudxPosted 1/15/2013 7:53:20 AM
vgsrule posted...
The Vita needs to sell in order to better itself. If you do not care about sales, because you're content with current and announced games, you are being ignorant.

Let's talk about this particular paragraph for a bit...

The Vita needs to sell in order to better itself.
Yes, exactly. No argument there.

If you do not care about sales, because you're content with current and announced games, you are being ignorant

Okay, so how is being satisfied with the Vita's current and announced library being ignorant? If anything, I'd say that's actually being practical. If you're currently satisfied with the system as it stands, then there's really not much room for disappointment or buyer's remorse as soon as it's discontinued 24 hours from this post... or years later, as the case may be. It's a very convenient stand to take. If somehow this sort of consumerist attitude is killing the Vita and Sony, then perhaps it really is time for the system/company to die. In the end, no big loss to the satisfied Vita owner.

So yeah, you'll need to expound a bit on the whole "it's being ignorant" argument you've got going here. Are you suggesting that as gamers, it's our sworn and solemn duty to give a **** about what's happening in the video game industry as opposed to... I dunno, just playing the games and enjoying them?
---
Vitassurance: The Webcomic http://www.jaded-perspectives.com/2013/01/vitassurance-webcome-1.html
#36Natureboy99Posted 1/15/2013 8:37:01 AM
Terotrous posted...
kyncani posted...
Like the Wii ?

Wii isn't a counterexample - it has like 10 times more third-party support and particularly exclusives than the abysmally-selling GC.

The reason it has less "AAA" support from western developers is because PS3, 360, and PC, all of which have virtually identical architecture and can run similar games, collectively have a higher install base than the Wii (but only in North America. Wii outsells all others combined in Japan, which is why it got Dragon Quest X).

Natureboy99 posted...
This is a complex issue. However, there are factors that the "sales matter" people always miss:

-Sony has the best and most 1st party devs in the business. First party games alone make Vita worth it, and we are continuing to get new games for the forseeable future. Sony doesn't factor install base as long as they are selling the platform, which they are. Sony first party is not only churning out new games for Vita, but crossbuy is full of win for first party ports.

No they don't. The fact that this is Nintendo is pretty much inarguable. Sony's first party games aren't bad but no one else is really even in Nintendo's league.

Also, despite Sony having a lot of first-party developers, they're not assigning many of them to work on the Vita. They did 3 games at first (Gravity Rush, Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout), but that's been pretty much it. All it's gotten since then are PS3 ports.

-Power ports. A port can be a cheap way to expand sales. There are many PS360 games that are too much for 3DS or Android to handle. Madden. NFS. EDF. UMvC3, MGS HD, FFX HD, etc. Why does Vita get these when 3DS doesn't? Power, and ease of port.

Could also help but it needs more of them. Sony should obviously start porting some of their other first-party games from PS3 and try to encourage other companies to do this too.

I'm not worried about sales because sales will come. Vita is extremely compelling, and gamers are just starting to wake up to it. Its getting more games that I want to play than any other portable.

I think Vita's library is pretty solid too but it's at least time to be "concerned". Vita's had its first holiday season and it didn't really get much of a spike. At this point, some action from Sony is going to be required if they want it to take off.

I think their holiday action was to add plus to Vita, and push cross buy. They are basically making the Vita super compelling for ps3 owners and especially plus subscribers. I think their next step is to cut price at E3. They also could push it as a PS4 controller. Lastly, I think they have some really big games lined up for Vita including Gran Turismo 6 cross buy, Bioshock Vita, and MGS V with transfarring. Vita has a strong 2013 lined up. But yeah if sales are bad it might have a bad 2014.
---
Voted class of 2079 most likely to abuse time travel
#37dj___rollPosted 1/15/2013 9:00:30 AM
stargazer64 posted...
Re: VGSrule and the Wii confusion....the Wii hardware sold amazingly well for several years, but third party support was still pretty pathetic for the most part. It got a ton of shovelware and most quality third party releases went elsewhere.

They are completely different circumstances, of course, but it puts holes in the theory that great hardware sales = great games and support.

That is more so Nintendo's iron grip on their products and image than anything else.

So Nintendo wanted gobs of shovelware from 3rd parties according to you. That makes no sense. Why would they want to base their image off of great 1st party games and tons of shovelware?

Disclaimer: I am we'll aware there some good 3rd party games, but like the ps1/2, most of them get lost in the avalanche of mediocre games.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#38TerotrousPosted 1/15/2013 10:42:52 AM
Natureboy99 posted...
I think their holiday action was to add plus to Vita, and push cross buy. They are basically making the Vita super compelling for ps3 owners and especially plus subscribers.

I think they're trying to do this, but it's probably not a good idea. Since PS3 and Vita are substitutes for each other to some extent (they share many of the same games), it's actually probably better to go after people who DON'T own a PS3.

It also seems to be the case that Sony's main fanbase just doesn't like PSP / PSV. If you go to the Wii board and ask how many people also own DS, it'll be like 85%. On the PS3 board, only like 20% also own PSP. There seems to be much more overlap between Nintendo's main audience and the buyers of the Sony handhelds.

This may have to do with the Eastern / Western divide. PS3, 360, and PC are all western-dominated systems, while Wii, Wii U, DS, PSP, 3DS, and PSV are all eastern-dominated systems.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#39SonyPSVitaPosted 1/15/2013 11:28:33 AM
This entire topic is stupid. I never played many ps1 or psp games. The fact that I can download ps1 and psp is enough for my purchase. Also the Vita has gotten many ports of games I have never played. Further justifying my purchase.

I've played enough Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc...

I don't need anymore Nintendo, they have gotten stale and old imo.
---
I was made by Sony and am the successor to the PSP.
#40CompassPosted 1/15/2013 11:32:49 AM
Blestsol posted...

Almost as stupid as somebody who talks about "sells"? Indeed.