Sony is going into Smartphones

#21Ambassador_Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 1:02:44 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
My point is that Sony got killed in the TV market because other companies made cheaper TVs that sold better. They are making the same mistake with phones now by trying to compete in the high-end market. What justification does Sony have for doing this? Apple can charge a premium because they are Apple, but what sort of name recognition does Sony have in the mobile phone market? None or nearly none? So why would anyone pay top dollar for a Sony phone? Answer - they won't.

so many wrong assumptions it's not even funny. where do you think samsung galaxy came from? out of thin air? at the time galaxy S came out into the high end market, iphone was already there. also sony is ranked 3rd in the smartphone market so obviously people have no idea about sony's smartphone right?

What? Depending on how you slice the numbers Sony either has 2% or 4.8% of the mobile market. Sony is dominating nothing.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/11/23/is-sony-gaining-momentum-in-smartphones/

http://www.statista.com/statistics/216506/global-market-share-of-sony-ericsson/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-nokia-apple-phone-sales-q2-2012/

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Now, which one of us is working with false assumptions?
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. by Mahatma Gandhi.
#22OtakuGameraPosted 1/18/2013 1:05:53 PM
so? doesnt change the fact that samsung broke through the high-end market that was dominated by apple
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#23Ambassador_Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 1:36:51 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
so? doesnt change the fact that samsung broke through the high-end market that was dominated by apple

Okay, first I proved you wrong, your welcome.

Now, if you look back to 2007 and graph yearly data (or quarterly data) for the mobile marketplace, you are going to see something, Samsung has always had a bigger share of the mobile market than Apple. You will also see that Samsung's market share has also increased dramatically from 13.4% in 07 to 23.5% in 2012 while Apple has controlled around 8%.

Samsung has always done better.

No who hasn't done better, Sony. Their high point was around 5% and their low is around 1.9%. Sony has done nothing to prove that this isn't more of their "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" strategy. What do they do well in the mobile market? What are their strengths? Maybe you can tell me because I don't see them.

So when I say Sony is absolutely stupid to put themselves in an industry that they have no hope of winning, it's not because I am a Sony hater and want them to fail. It's because they have no hope of winning.

Sony knows gaming, they know music, they know movies, and they know life insurance. Blu-ray was a great idea, but the world has decided it prefers streaming so the Blu-ray market isn't going anywhere. I'm not going to fault them for Blu-ray because it was a good idea.

Sony's future lies in embracing those things that they can do better than other people. They should not be wasting their time with TVs, stereos, smart phones, or cameras. There are other companies that do these things better than they can and they are just embarrassing themselves.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. by Mahatma Gandhi.
#24KirbyIsAwesomePosted 1/18/2013 2:31:45 PM
While the Xperia Z looks nice, Sony is yet again continuing to shoot themselves in the foot. As another poster said, they seriously need to stop following and start leading. They're really not innovating in any way. Just putting high end parts together and promising they're good. Sony needs a new strategy.
---
"3DS is simply incapable of making games as good as vita games"
- DemonDog666
#25NeojianXPosted 1/18/2013 2:53:55 PM
They already have a couple of failed smartphones. Heee heee! : )
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )
#26LORD_LMAOPosted 1/18/2013 2:59:08 PM
OtakuGamera posted...

they did that buy copying apple and all their patents
---
"garfield64 has long beautiful hair that any sane woman would kill to have"
#27DaMan1900Posted 1/18/2013 4:47:17 PM(edited)
sony has been in the smartphone business for a long time. It was sony ericsson until last year then sony bought the other 50% of the company. Sony is now launching phones under there name alone.

In the usa only att carries sony phones which i believe is dumb. I dislike att so i have never had the chance to try one of there phones.
---
Ex Sony Fanboy
#28fireblade08Posted 1/18/2013 5:03:17 PM
The top mobile phone brands in Japan are: #1 Sharp #2 Panasonic #3 Sony.

Sharp has a 2x 8.0 megapixel camera phone in 3D. Panasonic never gets complaints. Waterproof phone like Razor. Light in weight, looks easy to carry with you.
Curious to see what Sony Mobile comes up with. The Experia line is really sleek.