I've never really liked Sony, but to be honest, the Vita is the best-designed

#1Phange 2Posted 1/18/2013 2:22:50 PM
...handheld I've ever seen, and I'd rather play it than any console or the 3DS.

I mean that on technical, hardware terms. I love the screen - it looks better than most HDTVs. The graphics are excellent. The controls are fantastic.

What bothers me about the Vita is that there's really no reason for Sony to fail with it, yet they are. It's arguably the best-designed system they've ever made, console or otherwise. They got everything right.

It's the details that have killed the Vita so far - the expensive memory cards, the lack of good exclusives, etc. The system itself is outstanding.

Talk about frustrating. I don't think I've ever seen something so well-made be foibled so significantly by marketing hubris.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#2mjc0961Posted 1/18/2013 2:25:12 PM
Actually it's the worst designed handheld I've ever played, and it's all because of the rear touchpad. Get rid of that and it would be awesome, but almost all games require holding the system insanely uncomfortably because they have touchpad features. Like LPB, I love having to hold the Vita awkwardly so I don't see a constant purple circle that doesn't do anything on my screen.

Oh wait, no I don't. Sony should have never put that useless piece of s*** back there.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#3Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 2:28:09 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Actually it's the worst designed handheld I've ever played, and it's all because of the rear touchpad. Get rid of that and it would be awesome, but almost all games require holding the system insanely uncomfortably because they have touchpad features. Like LPB, I love having to hold the Vita awkwardly so I don't see a constant purple circle that doesn't do anything on my screen.

Oh wait, no I don't. Sony should have never put that useless piece of s*** back there.

I don't like the rear touchpad, but no Vita menu utilizes it and newer games are wisely abandoning it entirely so it's quickly just becoming the "back" of the system and nothing more.

It's a poor design decision, but one that developers can essentially 100% negate.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#4synthetiksinPosted 1/18/2013 2:32:29 PM
The backscreen would be fine if they actually allowed being able to change the sensitive areas, which they can easily add to a firmware update. I just hope they utilize all the IOs on the system itself and not let it just sit there like the psp's camera slot.
#5NeojianXPosted 1/18/2013 2:42:04 PM
Nice try at trying to act like you are not a Companyboy TC. Ha ha ha ha! Paleeese! : )
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )
#6moogle69Posted 1/18/2013 3:19:33 PM
A Sony fanboy saying he doesn't like Sony
---
3DSXL FC: 0087-3600-6980, PSP/PS3 PSN ID: snoteat01 WIIU ID: Chaosking
Currently playing: Xenoblade, SMG2, Dissidia012, Radiant H, TOTA3DS, R&CHD, OkamiHD
#7Emerald_FlashPosted 1/18/2013 3:20:13 PM
The best designed paperweight.

If there was a larger pool of games to choose from, and if the handling was a bit more comfortable, I might agree with TC. However, at this point, I cannot say that the Vita is a good investment.
#8KirbyIsAwesomePosted 1/18/2013 3:21:49 PM
>doesn't like sony

Get out boi.
---
"3DS is simply incapable of making games as good as vita games"
- DemonDog666
#9DemonDog666Posted 1/18/2013 3:22:43 PM
Phange 2 posted...

I mean that on technical, hardware terms. I love the screen - it looks better than most HDTVs. The graphics are excellent. The controls are fantastic.

What bothers me about the Vita is that there's really no reason for Sony to fail with it, yet they are. It's arguably the best-designed system they've ever made, console or otherwise. They got everything right.

It's the details that have killed the Vita so far - the expensive memory cards, the lack of good exclusives, etc. The system itself is outstanding.

Talk about frustrating. I don't think I've ever seen something so well-made be foibled so significantly by marketing hubris.

The system has good exclusives and tons of support and while the marketing and expensive memory cards might be hurtling it, what's hurting it the most is the 3DS massive price drop before vita even launched. Once vita price is dropped things will change (and I'm well aware there are bundles that match the value of a price drop, but that's not the same to the masses because masses aren't smart).
#10Dark_ZenoPosted 1/18/2013 3:24:59 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
Phange 2 posted...

The system has good exclusives and tons of support and while the marketing and expensive memory cards might be hurtling it, what's hurting it the most is the 3DS massive price drop before vita even launched. Once vita price is dropped things will change (and I'm well aware there are bundles that match the value of a price drop, but that's not the same to the masses because masses aren't smart).

I could not get past "good exclusives and tons of support". As always thanks for the laughs. :)
---
"but if you're the kind of person who thinks that anything with primary colors is for kids than nothing will change your mind." - Arucard05