Is Persona 4 Golden overrated?

#21fEARtHEgOOCHPosted 1/20/2013 8:19:55 PM
Yes, but hear me out (if you will).

I am a little over 40 hours in the game, and while I have enjoyed it for the most part, I do not think it is a 10/10 game. I like the idea of Personas, and the game has surprised me with how they are handled. I am not a fan of anime in the least bit, and there are only a few RPG's that I ever care enough to finish. When I started playing Persona 4, I liked the battle system with switching Personas and I thought the story/sim elements were pretty cheesy... 40 hours later, I don't like the battle system (I really only need two Personas to swap between on MC), and I enjoy the underlying story elements. The humor is great as well for the most part.

I expected more in the way of leveling in dungeons than what I have come across, and I think a lot of that is because of how easy the game is. The only difficult enemies are the ones who have a one hit KO that is randomly used, and the boss battles are pretty drawn out for the most part. This causes me to change between one or two Personas to hit the enemies' weaknesses, and I don't think the MC Personas really give you much to connect with.

I put off doing the SLinks early on, but since then I have grown to enjoy them. There is a lot to do in between fighting in the TV World, so I can understand why the game receives praise for the sim elements. Given that this game is an RPG, I would probably rate it at 8.5 because I feel the battle system is lacking, and they could have focused more on the Personas that the MC uses. I still enjoy playing it, and I will certainly plow through the battles. Depending on how it turns out, I may even start a NG+. Everyone also has a different idea when talking about how a game is rated, so take them all with a grain of salt.
---
Currently Playing: League of Legends, Persona 4, King of Fighters XIII
#22StrikeNinja24Posted 1/20/2013 8:24:45 PM(edited)
On this board? God yes.

In general gaming? I dunno, the game sold like ****, especially outside of Japan. I don't think a lot of people buy into the hype that 'reviewers' give nowadays.

Metacritic is basically a joke at this point. Hell, DmC scores pretty much prove this to me once again.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#23CaptainMoosePosted 1/20/2013 10:06:46 PM
People on this board act like its the second coming and it's an enhanced port of a five year old game. Tey only act like that though cuz it's the ONLY decent game for the vita.
#24The-Great-One99Posted 1/20/2013 10:07:35 PM
FindmeElseweyr posted...
Yep.

Not surprised by the poll results, a lot of these guys seem to like "mai waifu" type of games, so ofc. they'll think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

As an rpg, it's garbage. I guess as a dating sim it's the bees knees?

I'm sure you think Elder "Hack Everything With Your Sword" Scrolls is the greatest RPG ever.
#25Nightmare637Posted 1/20/2013 10:18:27 PM(edited)
CaptainMoose posted...
People on this board act like its the second coming and it's an enhanced port of a five year old game. Tey only act like that though cuz it's the ONLY decent game for the vita.

I disagree with the last half of that statement.

oh and FYI not everyone played the game 5 years ago, just go to the board people who never played it before are a common occurance.
---
PSN:Nightmare637
#26yabPosted 1/20/2013 10:53:34 PM
I like the game but yeah it's overrated, mainly since there isn't much of an RPG selection on the Vita right now. But at least Atlus is capitalizing on that just like they did with Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS.
---
#27thompsontalker7Posted 1/20/2013 11:13:31 PM
It deserves all the praise it gets, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few problems with it either.

and I play both JRPGs and shooters, why do weeaboos think it can only be one or the other?
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#28Mystickay86Posted 1/20/2013 11:31:53 PM
StrikeNinja24 posted...
On this board? God yes.

In general gaming? I dunno, the game sold like ****, especially outside of Japan. I don't think a lot of people buy into the hype that 'reviewers' give nowadays.

Metacritic is basically a joke at this point. Hell, DmC scores pretty much prove this to me once again.

Ugh. Look, there are +20 reviews out there that haven't been "registered" in the gamerankings/metacritics, and received scores above +8. After 50+ reviews, I don't think this game got any lower than that.

But yeah, you and Findmeelseweyr must be those "I hate popular game" schtick type guys. Groovy. Just deal with the fact - it's the best game on Vita.
---
Official Gai of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations board
#29GloryChaosPosted 1/20/2013 11:43:59 PM
How do you judge if something is overrated or not?
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#30CompassPosted 1/20/2013 11:47:19 PM
It kind of is.