Would I like Persona 4 if the whole social part turns me off?

#1Tyrantsbane86Posted 1/23/2013 4:24:34 PM
Just curious. Persona 4 gets some high praise. I love RPGs but the social links kinda turns me off. Can someone explain how they play out as so I can get a better idea of them?
#2StrikeNinja24Posted 1/23/2013 4:26:55 PM
They are basically the main course of the game. Seriously, your characters gain some of their best attacks from them and the best personas can only be gained by completing them.

It's a social sim first, RPG second.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#3Zechs23Posted 1/23/2013 4:27:57 PM
It's not like it's hard to increase social links anyways.
---
3DS FC: 0619-3034-0578
#4Nightmare637Posted 1/23/2013 4:33:02 PM
you pretty much only have to do party members S.Links(Strike summed up there benefits) Aeon, Jester, and Empress since they all unlock content from there completion.

you can ignore all the others if your not a trophy hunter.
---
PSN:Nightmare637
#5Tyrantsbane86(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:35:18 PM
Don't really care about how easy or hard it might be. I just like the grinding and story of RPGs. Not sure how I feel about running around town helping some bloke hook up with a chick just so my character can cast fire or something

Just trying to get a better idea of the system before I make a judgment call
#6WiiFan77Posted 1/23/2013 4:35:52 PM
No. But you would really enjoy SMT Nocturne.
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#7StrikeNinja24Posted 1/23/2013 4:36:21 PM
Tyrantsbane86 posted...
Don't really care about how easy or hard it might be. I just like the grinding and story of RPGs. Not sure how I feel about running around town helping some bloke hook up with a chick just so my character can cast fire or something

Yeah, not the game for you. You're going to spend hours outside of dungeons and away from the story, whether you like it or not.
---
Xbox & PS3 gametag = StrikeNinja24
And if Strike didn't stroke his own peen, then nobody would. - Super-Pangolin
#8MegaMettaurPosted 1/23/2013 4:37:35 PM
The actual combat in the persona series is pretty ass.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#9Tyrantsbane86(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:38:18 PM
Nightmare637 posted...
you pretty much only have to do party members S.Links(Strike summed up there benefits) Aeon, Jester, and Empress since they all unlock content from there completion.

you can ignore all the others if your not a trophy hunter.

Posted while I was writing. Not a trophy hunter but I do like grinding out perfect parties.

Can someone post some examples of what the S.links entail?
#10Tyrantsbane86(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:40:54 PM
StrikeNinja24 posted...
Tyrantsbane86 posted...

Yeah, not the game for you. You're going to spend hours outside of dungeons and away from the story, whether you like it or not.

Yeah this is what I was assuming. I just wanted to get all the facts straight before dismissing the game.

Thanks everyone.

I will look into SMT Nocturne